Charlotte-Douglas Intl

kingnorris

Running FSX boxed. Flew my American Airlines QW 757-200 from Dallas to Charlotte. All was well until I began my descent for visual approach runway 18R.

After initial descent instructions and “turn left heading 215” ATC stopped directing me. All I got after was “contact Atlanta Center” over and over again. Meanwhile, when I looked at my map, I was being flown south toward the ocean!!!! About 150 miles away (and growing!) from Charlotte I gave up and ended the flight.

Is this a known bug with that airport? I only flew there once before but that was an ILS landing and all was fine. Is the visual approach there messed up?

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

More than likely a bug in FSX, itself! I have had this happen in the past where I'm following ATC instructions and after a long silence (on their part) I found myself flying 90 degrees away from the intended destination. I wound up in Arizona instead of San Diego.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Must be a bug. Tried again, different plane, same results. Only on visual though. Was flying me south yet again away from Charlotte. When I cancelled IFR and reloaded it, I got an ILS approach and it worked.

Guess I won’t be going there anymore...

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

I got fed up with the default ATC for this same reason a long time ago - I've been using Radar Contact since the version 4 release and that situation has never happened again... other ATC addons are available, as they say nowadays!

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Must be a bug. Tried again, different plane, same results. Only on visual though. Was flying me south yet again away from Charlotte. When I cancelled IFR and reloaded it, I got an ILS approach and it worked.

Guess I won’t be going there anymore...

While I'm sitting here contemplating my navel, I'll get that airport a try.

While I'm sitting here contemplating my navel, I'll get that airport a try.

No please don’t. I don’t wanna hear it’s just my FSX. You’ll probably brag about how everything worked just fine.

Lol I’m kidding.

No please don’t. I don’t wanna hear it’s just my FSX. You’ll probably brag about how everything worked just fine.

Lol I’m kidding.

Sun's eating your brain there in Lost Wages, Nervana!;) I did a flight from Chesapeak regional airport in Virginia to KCLT. IFR flight plan. All went well until about 65 miles out and I was given an ILS approach to runway 23. I immediately requested a visual approach. That went OK and was given an order to descend to 4,000 feet. Here's where everything went south. I had been watching the GPS as I got closer to KCLT showing me about 55 mile out. The next time I looked at the GPS screen The airport had vanished and it had me going to an airport in North Carolina near the coast...150 miles away. I re-request my route to KCLT and they wanted me to climb back to my cruise altitude of ftl170.

I went with my first reaction...What the Hell! and ended the flight. Something whacky in FSXville:eek::confused:

I bet everything would have been fine if I kept the ILS23 approach.

Yes sir Zip. ILS seems ok, visual is wonky. It’s like Charlotte is saying “ok, you’re cleared visual approach, now find it your damn self. ATC out.”

:)

It's aviate, navigate, communicate in that order. If ATC is being a PITA then screw 'em and do your own thing. You should not be flying 100+ miles off course. You should see that in the GPS and if you are using dual monitors you would have LittleNavMap on the second screen to see it. Cancel ATC not the flight and land it yourself.

There's been a couple of instances where the damn airport didn't show up in the airport selection of the ATC window because of so many other smaller airports in the way. So I just landed on the runway with the correct wind and when I turned off contacted ground. The Sim really sucks in the ATC department. There are ATC replacements as mentioned, but I didn't care for them. You're probably better off in VATSIM or IVAO. Even then, there may not be a real person controlling traffic so you have to do things on your own.

Well, it has been a love it or hate it kind of relation with MSFS from the beginning but hey, there is plenty of planet left to choose from. :)

Cheers,

If you are still using the default KCLT then I would recommend installing Ray Smith's KCLT and see if that resolves the issue. I'm not sure if it's available in the Flightsim library, but if not then it is in the other big flight sim sites's library.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

System: i7-13700K, Gigabyte Z790 UD AX, 32GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1080 FTW Gaming, Windows 11 Pro 64-bit, MSFS 2020, FSX, Thrustmaster T.16000M Joystick, Cessna Pedals, Saitek Trim Wheel, Switch Panel, and Multi Panel

If you are still using the default KCLT then I would recommend installing Ray Smith's KCLT and see if that resolves the issue. I'm not sure if it's available in the Flightsim library, but if not then it is in the other big flight sim sites's library.

Ernie

I only fly there occasionally. Not that big a deal to upgrade the airport..

Ernie

There's a couple searching for KCLT for FSX in the library.

I only fly there occasionally. Not that big a deal to upgrade the airport..

Practically every airport I go to I see if it's been upgraded here in the library. Mainly so there's enough parking for me and all the AI. I've flown to a couple no one bothered to edit and I fixed that and uploaded here to the library. I can only do basic AFCAD editing. I don't add objects. I could with object placer, but I don't want to spend that much time on it and all that.

Archived