Rudder moves full deflection on ground but only 10% deflection in the air

tacomasailor

FSX / Acceleration Windows 10

CH Flight Sim Yoke and CH Pro Pedals or Saitek ST290 joystick. I verify that only ONE device controls the rudder axis at any particular time. I verify that only the pedals or only the ST290 are plugged in at any particular time.

Sitting on runway with engine running but AC not moving either control device (stick or pedals) moves rudder full deflection

The instant wheels of AC leave the ground the rudder moves to center and full movement of either pedals or joystick only moves rudder a few degrees. When I takeoff I follow AC from locked spot just aft of AC and can see the rudder waggle as I move the control device. As soon as the AC leaves the runway the rudder will barely move.

While flying I input full rudder deflection and the AC nose rotates a couple degrees, but I see the VC pedals move full range, then the nose rotation stops (with one pedal fully forward), and moving view to AC outside behind AC shows the rudder is centered and movement of the rudder pedals does not move the rudder at all.

After I land the AC (with little or no rudder control) the rudder DOES NOT deflect or move more than a few degrees.

The pedals in the VC move full distance forward/aft on the ground and in the air, even when rudder moves only a few degrees

The ailerons and elevator work perfectly with either control device.

Yaw Damper is non-existent (e.g. A2A J3) or turned off as is autopilot.

This problem does not occur all the time but once it begins it happens with ALL aircraft, at ALL airports.

CH Control Mgr and FSX calibrate show that Win10 and FSX is receiving valid data from the control device.

Stopping and restarting FSX does not resolve the problem.

Unplugging and replugging the controls does not solve the problem.

Shutting down and then restarting the computer does not resolve the problem.

Eventually, I restart FSX and the problem goes away for a while. I have flown for many hours, over many weeks with the problem not recurring, but today it started early and has lasted over five restarts of FSX and three restarts of the computer including unplugging the yoke, pedals, and joystick.

Any suggestions?

i7-9700K / 32GB DDR4 memory / RTX 3060 Ti with 8GB /Flight Sim on SSD and Win10 on separate SSD / 375 MegaBit / Second internet connection / HP Reverb G2

Moving the rudder to full deflection in flight can cause aerodynamic forces that will destroy your aircraft. In the real world rudder travel in flight is automatically limited in many aircraft. The Long Island crash of an AA A300 was the direct result of an attempt at full deflection that took the tail and engines right off the aircraft.

DJ

A2A Piper J3 - take off at 40 knots - rudder stops working the instant the wheels leave the ground but pedals in VC still move
i7-9700K / 32GB DDR4 memory / RTX 3060 Ti with 8GB /Flight Sim on SSD and Win10 on separate SSD / 375 MegaBit / Second internet connection / HP Reverb G2

Do you have autocoordination turned on? That may give you the symptoms you describe.

Moving the rudder to full deflection in flight can cause aerodynamic forces that will destroy your aircraft.

That's unlikely in most light aircraft, especially if you don't jam them on instantly. And that "automatically limited" may be true in airliners -- I don't know -- but I have yet to fly a (real) light aircraft made that way, and I've flown around 60 types, from Cub to Stearman to Baron.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Could be an item in the air file; table 519 is rudder deflection vs Q (airspeed) - this can be seen in graphical form if you have AirEd loaded. It does affect the model in flight calculations, but it also shows up visually.

Keith

THANK YOU!!

I had forgotten all about auto-rudder because I have never, in 10 years, used it. It was turned on as was unlimited fuel, which I also have never used. I wonder how those two items get reset? But, I've always suspected the .cfg file was changing on me at times.

Archived