Bombardiar CRJ700

I am having a little trouble with flying Bombardiar CRJ700 and seek help. I set-up the AP. and set up the Navigation thus:

Com 1>Nav 1>change to airport frequency>stand-by> then below move the nav1 button a notch to the right.

In flight I do not hear the frequency signal when within range of the airport now although I used to and of course even though the lights are on the AP board. What am I missing? It doesn't happen in the Cessna and I haven't tried any other plane to test.

Alan - Here is a shot of the CRJ 700 panel at Melbourne, Florida. 108.3 is the assigned freq for ILS 9R.

You can always set these settings on the ground to see if you can hear the morse identifier. One check for yourself to see if you have the appropriate freq in the correct window!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]203969[/ATTACH]

Good luck and enjoy the CRJ700! - Rick

Note: I only used this to illustrate the settings on the radio. Background of the panel does not reflect the settings needed for the ILS landing for RWY 9R at KMLB

Thank you for your response to my post. I have the settings as you illustrate exactly and set on the runway as you also illustrate but I do not hear the signal and the plane does not turn towards the airport when one would normally expect.

Thank you for your response to my post. I have the settings as you illustrate exactly and set on the runway as you also illustrate but I do not hear the signal and the plane does not turn towards the airport when one would normally expect.

Okay, do you have Nav 1 turned on as indicated in my pic, lower left?

And Alan, this is the exact panel that your CRJ has, correct? And you tried to tune in to the ILS freq on the ground and it is still quiet? And you're using my example airport, Melbourne with the freq of 108.3?

Sorry, if I am asking dumb questions, but I have to rule out the obvious. The CRJ isn't all that difficult to set up. There are no avionics master switches to deal with. I'm trying to get your CRJ to at least sound the signal, even if it is just sitting on the runway. Aircraft not turning towards the airport could be another issue all together, but you should hear the morse identifier!

Alan - One other thing you can check, in the aircraft.cfg file, towards the end, look to see if your radio section looks like mine. Might be something there that is preventing Nav 1 from coming alive?

[Radios]

// Radio Type = availiable, standby frequency, has glide slope

Audio.1 = 1

Com.1 = 1, 1

Com.2 = 1, 1

Nav.1 = 1, 1, 1

Nav.2 = 1, 1, 0

Adf.1 = 1

Adf.2 = 1

Transponder.1 = 1

Marker.1 = 1

And you say the Cessna, doesn't act this way, have you used this aircraft, the CRJ, in making ILS approaches? Just more questions I have to ask............... My sister was having computer issues yesterday, she's 4 miles away and it was easier to just go to her house rather than trying to walk her thru the things on the telephone or the computer!

No I didn't use the Melbourne airport but tomorrow I will try it. Thank you for the help. If you could just explain a bit more how to get the signal on the ground that would be helpful

Alan

Alan - Just go in on free flight, and set your location State is Florida, City is Melbourne, runway 9R and click the "Fly Now" and you will be sitting on the 9R runway. Set your NAV/COM up (don't need to set the COM side up, just the Nav side). Get your NAV/COM to look like mine, make sure the Nav 1 is turned on as mine is, in the pic and that bad boy should start singing to you! I've asked all the obvious questions I can think of; something appears to not be on! I just flew this aircraft this morning after not using it for a long time, and it is a very user friendly aircraft, and even though, the radio setup is a little different than the Cessna, it too is very straight forward!

Good luck, hope you happen on something to get this working! - Rick :cool:

One more question, which airport (4 letter designation, or state,city etc), which runway are you wanting to land on, and what frequency are you using? I can do some looking on my end. That is probably the first thing I should have asked, let me set up my CRJ on your runway using your frequency and see what happens!

Has anyone asked to see if the audio is turned on for the NAV1 radio? That could be why you don't head the Morse Code.

Mr Z, I asked him if he had Nav 1 turned on (#4) and he said yes. I don't know what he is missing, there aren't that many pieces to the puzzle!

And, now he is no longer on here!

Mr Z, I asked him if he had Nav 1 turned on (#4) and he said yes. I don't know what he is missing, there aren't that many pieces to the puzzle!

And, now he is no longer on here!

He'll be back. Don't take offense, but that's why I said Nav1 audio and not just Nav1 turned on. I took a screenshot also and made a point to circle what needs to be looked at. I wonder if he sees the VOR indication on the PFD also. I'll have to read through the posts to see what airport and runway he's trying.

I'm sitting on 28Left at KSFO listening to the ILS identifier for 28Right.

CRJ nav1.JPG

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Mr Z - That was my last question, for him to give me his airport, his runway, his frequency and to see if I could replicate what he is trying to do, maybe he doesn't even have the correct frequency, i don't have a clue. I was hoping by as many questions i asked him, he would realize what was not turned on. He had my pic of NAV/COM, should look the same with the exception of frequency difference?

Rick :cool:

Thanks Mr Z, he will probably be knocking on the door tomorrow, but who knows, I've see those who post and not come back for weeks. They originally say they have problems, but they must not have been all that much? Oh well.......................

Later, Rick :cool:

Thank you for your comprehensive responses, Rick. Much appreciated. I have opened the Bombardiar at runway Manchester UK. Set up the NAV. (109.50 frequency) and no signal. I have replaced the Bombardiar with Cessna and get the immediate signal.

Hope this is the information you require.

Alan

Thank you for your comprehensive information, Rick. Much appreciated. I have set up Bombardiar on my local airport, Manchester (109.50) No signal. Tried the same with Cessna. Immediate signal.

Is this what you are wanting to know.

Alan

Thank you Rick. My local airport 4 miles away is Manchester U.K. (109.50) I have tried the Bombardiar using this frequency but get no signal. Cessna O.K. doing the same thing, signal immediate.

Alan

Okay, Alan, here is a screenshot of my CRJ sitting on Rwy 6L, Manchester, NAV 1 set as indicated in the shot, and the identifier code is singing to me like "a bird!" Check your display to see if your aircraft settings appear like mine and we'll go from there!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]203980[/ATTACH]

Alan - Nice airport, I just flew the entire pattern for 6L and went without issues. One thing I thought about (shouldn't effect the identifier sound, but might effect the not turning onto glide scope), make sure you have the GPS/NAV selector (left side panel near clock) set to NAV! Other than that, all should be good! Try to check all I have pointed out, I hope that works for you! - Rick

He'll be back. Don't take offense, but that's why I said Nav1 audio and not just Nav1 turned on. I took a screenshot also and made a

Mr Z - Please clarify to me what you mean by not only "Nav1 On, but also Nav 1 audio ON"? There are only provisions for entering the NAV1 frequency and for turning Nav 1 switch on, that you have indicated above? Am I missing something here? Let me know, as I have been confused with your statement since last evening! - Rick

Okay, I just tried the Nav 1 switch, and in the off position you will still get an identifier sound (faint, but a signal), but if you switch to on, you get a more "pronounced" identifier signal. Either way, I have never called this switch anything, but I assume you are calling it an audio switch, am I correct? I just know when I am using Nav 1 for anything, that switch is "ON" for what ever purposes it was intended for!

Mr Z - Please clarify to me what you mean by not only "Nav1 On, but also Nav 1 audio ON"? There are only provisions for entering the NAV1 frequency and for turning Nav 1 switch on, that you have indicated above? Am I missing something here? Let me know, as I have been confused with your statement since last evening! - Rick

Okay, I just tried the Nav 1 switch, and in the off position you will still get an identifier sound (faint, but a signal), but if you switch to on, you get a more "pronounced" identifier signal. Either way, I have never called this switch anything, but I assume you are calling it an audio switch, am I correct? I just know when I am using Nav 1 for anything, that switch is "ON" for what ever purposes it was intended for!

Correct! The little button with the arrow is for turning on the Nav1 audio to hear the Morse Code. If you have ever noticed in the C-172, the lighted buttons for COMs 1&2, Nav1&2, DME, ADF are located on the audio panel.

Whew! That's what I thought you meant! Thanks! I flew my CRJ from his airport, all went well. Just waiting to hear back from him. Don't know what else he can look for? He did say he tried his Cessna from his airport, and he was getting the morse identifier with that, so his problems looks like they are only related to his CRJ and it's settings! We'll see?

Whew! That's what I thought you meant! Thanks! I flew my CRJ from his airport, all went well. Just waiting to hear back from him. Don't know what else he can look for? He did say he tried his Cessna from his airport, and he was getting the morse identifier with that, so his problems looks like they are only related to his CRJ and it's settings! We'll see?

Yep, we'll have to wait and see. I did reread his first post and he did say he clicked the Nav1 lower button on so the audio is on. Now the question is...did he set the Nav1 secondary freq properly and then click the appropriate button to make it switch to the primary?

Alan, please show a screenshot of your panel and radio stack when it's tuned to the ILS freq.

Alan - We've been anxiously awaiting the results of your CRJ problems. I hope this waiting means, all your problems have been resolved and you are now doing ILS landings without issue. Hope all is okay! Oh, and by the way, in the process of trying to get information on Manchester airport, I found a good site for free Jeppensen charts for that airport. If you would like me to send you the link, let me know! - Rick :cool:

I have sent you three emails but when I post reply it appears in a conversation you are having with someone else so I hope this gets through to you.

I want to thank you for the time you spent in exploring what might the the answer to my problem. Much appreciated.

I have solved the problem and it had nothing to do with my setting up mistakes.

I used another airport and used their frequency and that worked so I returned to Manchester which has two other airports attached to look more closely.

Recently, within last week, I downloaded Traffic global and the problem seems to have followed that download. Before the download there were only the three airports in the list but after a Helipod was added. When I chose Manchester it flagged up Helipad which has a different frequency. I just can't change that to Manchester. When I put in the Helipad frequency I get the signal.

I am now in touch with Traffic Global Forum and the expert there thinks that Global is overiding Settings in FSX.

Thanks again

Archived