Are you familiar with AddIIt Pro? Automated add-on progam manager

bushp04

14,250 copies of AddIt! Pro downloaded over the lifetime of the product (covers all versions of FS since v.5). At $25 a pop, the kid's made $356,250 on this product---and that's just downloads from Flightsim.com. I haven't even looked, nor do I intend to, anywhere else. I only did the math b/c all versions happened to be on the same page at Flightsim.com. I'd say the kid's done decent for himself, IMO.

I haven't even tried to install my download yet, because his readme.txt says something about the program modifying your Windows registry. I'm sending him an email right now to ask, because I stay away from the Windows registry.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Fly Southern, Y'all"

bushp04

..........I haven't even tried to install my download yet, because his readme.txt says something about the program modifying your Windows registry. I'm sending him an email right now to ask, because I stay away from the Windows registry...........

Why is this an issue?

Your chosen sim will have made changes to the registry and so will most of all the other payware stuff you have added. If you are worried about it causing issues with the registry create a manual restore point prior to installing. That way, if an issue occurs you can use the restore point to restore your system back to how is was prior to the install.

Restore is an in-built utility within the OS and restore points are normally created automatically by the OS at regular intervals and usually before new win updates are installed. You can create them manually as and when required - see this WEBPAGE on how to use the functions.

Or you could use a 3rd party utility to create and/or schedule regular creation points - one such freeware tool is called Restore Point Creator......

Regards

Brian

Brian, thank you for your response. The Windows registry I don't touch on my own. I've never done the restore point thing either. Looks like I'm going to have to face up to it pretty soon, though. I appreciate your encouragement!

Thanks for the reference to RPC. Just for your info, below is the email I sent the developer:

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Mr. Stearns,

Your program for managing Flight Simulator X add-ons looks amazing. Thank you making it available to the simming community. Before I install my trial download, I have a question. In your readme.txt, you say that this program will make some modifications to my Windows registry.

Would you please explain how my registry will be affected? I've always been terrified of the registry because I know from bitter experience that only the experts should even go there, and I definitely am not an expert.

If you can offer any assistance, I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Len Welch

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Fly Southern, Y'all"

bushp04

Hi Len,

Hope you get the answers you seek from the author.....

I personally don't use the product so can't comment on it. I'm a old fashion sort of guy and do everything manually.

Another option for you to consider, if daunted by the Restore point option/procedures is to simply make a back up of the registry itself - the process is very simple:

1. Right click on the Start Menu icon (located on the extreme left of the Taskbar) and select Run from the options provided. This will open a new window.

2. In the field type regedit and then click on the OK button. This will open the Registry viewing pane.

3 Select File > Export - a new window will open where you can select a location to save the file and enter a filename (I usually use a name based on type and date I.e. RegFull_02May18) and then press Save to save it.

To restore the registry from this file simply follow the same steps but at step 3. select File > Import, navigate to the saved location, select the required backup file and then click Open - this will start the import process.

The differences between a registry backup and a system restore point is that a registry backup only contains details of the registry whilst a system restore point contains not only details of the registry but also copies of important system files etc.

Regards

Brian

Brian,

I appreciate your taking the time to outline how to backup my registry. I'll defer action on this for several days to see a response from the developer of AddIt! Pro.

I'll be sure to share with you what I learn from him.

Thanks again, and best regards,

Len

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Fly Southern, Y'all"

bushp04

Len,

While you are waiting for a reply from Mr. Stearns I just wanted to tell you what a great product he has created with AddIt! Pro. It has so many great features. My favorite is that it allows you to edit cfg files without the hassle of Windows UAC interference. Another feature is it will list any errors or omissions in aircraft panels and guide you to replacement gauges if you have them in other aircraft. Don't like the sound an aircraft has? It can change it. So many handy tools. I've had it for 10 years. I hope this helps.

unclegreg

Brian (longbreak754),

Joe Stearns emailed me this morning and explained that the only changes his program AddIt! Pro makes to Windows registry are ones that allow his program to run per Windows standards.

The only other time AddIt! makes a change to a Flight Simulator registry key is when/if it detects an error with a key value or a key value is missing---but it asks you for a yes or no before it actually makes that change.

So .... with your kind assistance yesterday explaining the registry backup (thank you very much!), I will make the purchase tomorrow. (I MUST get in some flight time today!) PLUS I want to fly using my "current" registry, then fly using the backed-up registry.

Best regards,

Len

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Fly Southern, Y'all"

bushp04

Brian (longbreak754),

I backed up my Windows registry to a stand alone folder on my Western Digital Portable HD last night, and everything looks as if it's where it's supposed to be (that may sound dumb, but I sweated bullets during the backup, because I didn't know for sure whether my original registry on the main PC would still be there after the export.) But it appears to be!

Just a side note: our PC's may have slightly different versions of Windows, because when I right clicked on the Windows icon in lower left of screen, I got a menu of frequently-used programs with a blank search field at bottom;

when I typed 'run' into this field, nothing happened. So I typed in 'regedit,' and up popped the registry. So ....

After that, I completed following your instructions, and now I have my registry in both locations (different drives).

I flew after that to use the FSX program, so if any changes occurred because of flying (I don't know that they do),

wanted to see if both sets of the registry would be affected. I wouldn't have wanted them to be, of course.

Today's task is to look into the main PC's (just look--no touch!!) registry to see if I can even recognize if any changes occurred off of flying, and should they have, then I must go to the other HD and compare. (Durn! That even sounds stupid to ME!) But behind being away from Windows for such an extended period (not to mention growing older), I find myself in an uncomfortable situation regards the seeming loss of ability to remember this stuff.

Sorry for the run-on.

Anyways, thanks for your help. Now to load this program of Stearns'. Knock on wood!

Thanks again!

Len

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Fly Southern, Y'all"

bushp04

Hi Len,

Just to put you at ease.....

When you 'backup' something, like the registry for example, all you are doing is making a copy of whatever it is you are backing up - no changes are made to the original nor is it removed.

Generally, changes only occur to the registry when you add/delete programs/apps, when windows itself updates, when other apps (like Office for example) are updated. If you have an antivirus suite that will sometimes update registry info. However, all such things only update entries specific to the program in question. Also note that not all programs will make changes to the registry.

When you run FSX changes will rarely be made to the registry. However, if for example, you add a payware FSX addon it is likely to make a number of registry entries specific to the addon itself but will rarely make changes to any FSX related entries. If, at some stage the addon gets an update released and you apply it, it will amend current entries for the addon in question. The vast majority of freeware stuff that you add will not make any entries into the registry.

And now (maybe :) not to put you so at ease.....

If you are concerned about changes to the registry etc that a program may make (unfortunately yes it can sometimes go wrong) then consider making a regular backup of your entire system, including your FSX setup. There are various ways you can achieve this - google is you best friend here.

A system backup can be achieved using the in OS backup utility or there are a number of 3rd party products (some freeware but mostly payware) that can also be used. There are various methods that can be used - again google is the place to find the info.

In most cases, once you have set a backup plan all you need to do is plug in the backup storage source (i.e. your WD drive) and the backup program will automatically backup any required data.

You can, based on your system configuration, choose to make several independent backups - for example if you have multiple drives (e.g C:\ and D:\) you can have separate backups for each drive or even just for individual apps on a drive (e.g D:\App A, D:\App B).

Regards

Brian

Brian (longbreak754),

I take your meaning on the registry backup, and it is a relief to know! Also about how most freeware won't mess with my registry.

In the past, I remember reading about programs that can be used to make a disk (or drive) image, thus creating a system backup which I surmise would be similar to that which you mentioned. But mostly I've seen emphasis on the regularity of backups (weekly, monthly, etc.) probably depending on the expense one wants to avoid should a loss of data be incurred.

Much obliged for your helpful comments!

Regards,

Len (bushp04)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Fly Southern, Y'all"

bushp04

.....make a disk (or drive) image, thus creating a system backup which I surmise would be similar to that which you mentioned..........

Hi Len,

There is a distinct difference between a image (often refereed to as an ISO image) and a 'true' backup.....

A image is basically a 'copy' or 'snapshot' of the chosen data as it stands at the time it is created. If you set whatever program you use to create the image to do regular backups it will create a new full image each time. When you then use an image to restore your system it will do so as it is was at the time of creation and you will be missing any updates that you have made since the image was created.

However, backups can be down in a number of ways, the most common method being one that uses incremental backups. In this case when the backup is first created, say today, it will be a full backup of the selected data. The next and subsequent backups will only consist of any updated (i.e. changed) or newly created files. When you restore from a incremental type backup you start with the main (original) file and the process will then read the additional backup files as required.

Regards

Brian

Thanks Brian(longbreak754),

I take your meaning about the drive image backup being susceptible to missing Windows updates created after

the date of its creation. Good point. I need to do some more reading about this aspect of backing up files, however, at this point, I think your explanation will suffice for me. Sounds like, for my purpose at least, I can just do the registry b/u.

I appreciate your time in sharing these thoughts!

Regards,

Len (bushp04)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Fly Southern, Y'all"

bushp04

Iso image: image of dvd or cd. Able to burn copy of dvd or cd from. Useful if you have only one dvd drive (a burner).

Usually stored on normal internal hdd. As filename.iso

System image: image of hdd or partition. Can be restored to a hdd to give you back the same system you had at time of backup.

-System image should always be stored on a different drive then the one you are backing up.

If image is a week old, then on system will be new files that are not in the system image. (downloaded in the last week for example.). Save those to a disk that will not be overwritten when the image is restored. For example to an external hdd. Then copy then back after restoring the system image.

No need to worry about programs you installed since making the image. Those can be reinstalled very easily. Same with windows updates, don't worry. Reinstalling those will take 5 minutes only.

I have ssd C: and a Hdd D:

new downloaded files I save on desktop. Then move them to D: every evening when done with them.

I make a system image of c: about once a week.

With all (or most) fresh downloads (and personal files) on D:, restoring C: is simple. I just need to backup a couple of stray files, and then restore C:

the only point of incremental backups is saving time backing up. But, restoring an incremental image has a higher chance of failing. Better make a new full system image each time.

And keep a few old ones.

Let's say you have a virus. You restore a image of a week ago and the virus is not gone. Nice if you also have an older image from when the virus wasn't on your system.

Now stop overthinking this. Just make a system image. You'll figure it all out by doing it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Btw, if the internal hd dies completely, you can also buy a new internal hd, put that in the pc, and restore the image to that.

(doesn't have to be, but can be a larger hd. Handy if you were running out of space anyway.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the further enlightenment, il88pp.

What may seem like a mole hill to some is a mountain for me to climb! :confused:

You've made some good points, though, off what you said regarding the two drives (which I happen to have, with the exception of your one entire ext. drive being SSD, whereas my ext. HDD is not.) As it happens, I have been looking for a portable 1-4T SSD drive, so when it gets here, I will come back to your post here.

Many thanks for your advice, il88pp!

bushp04

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Fly Southern, Y'all"

bushp04

Archived