FSX versus FS2004 - Should I install FSX ( I cannot run FS2020 on my computer)

Flyguybc

Hi there

First off, yes I know that these are very old sims but I am not able to upgrade my current computer to be able to run FS2020 (believe me I would love to).

I am currently running FS2004 on my machine and it is working fine.

Would it be a step up for me in flight models and scenery by installing FSX or should I just stay with FS9 until I can afford to run FS2020?

What were some of the differences in FS9 to FSX?

Thanks so much for your help and feedback

Kevin

The answer to your question depends on 3 things:

(1.) How good you have FS9 looking and running now

If the sim is looking good and running good and you are happy then I would say stay with it. See point #3 below

(2.)How much time & money you have invested into making FS9 look and run good

It takes time to get a sim looking just right. If you spent a lot getting FS9 to run the best that it can and you are happy, do you really want to do it all again for FSX and then AGAIN for MSFS? It takes time to get FSX looking its best. The good news is that it can all be done for free. The nVidia Inspector tweaks specially make the most massive difference.

(3.)How long will it be before you upgrade to a rig capable of running the new MSFS?

This is the big one. Is it going to be a very long time before you get a rig to run MSFS? If so then yes it will be worth going to FSX.

• FS9------>FSX------>MSFS
  • FS9------------------>MSFS

It comes down to if you want to go to the "middle ground" - or eliminate that step and jump to MSFS when ready. Having said all that FSX is great, you will notice a difference, theres tons and tons of freeware of all kinds and now of course people have got down tweaks to a fine art. If you do go for FSX let me know on here and I'll show you links to the excellent nVidia Inspector tweak.

A note on MSFS

We could fill hundreds of pages with discussion on wether its a game or a sim. The visuals are fantastic but it does demand a powerful machine and blistering internet connection to enjoy at its best.

Right now in this current moment it does feel more "gamey" but dont worry about that because they are constantly working on improving things, the modders are at work (the A320 mod specially) and complex 3rd party planes are coming. Most of the complaints will be from hardcore simmers who are coming from XP11, FSX, P3D and expect full-on systems simulation of FMC and other avionics after flying PMDGs, its still too early for complex tubeliner flying in MSFS.

What it DOES excel at is awesome VFR bush/GA flying. Takes the visuals to a whole new level. No amount of addons in the other sim can come close...although dont get me wrong the addons ARE good (Orbx etc).

Im an XP11 user and use that for tubeliner flying and will use MSFS for low level GA because of the visuals.

FS9 is rock solid stable. If it meets your needs then stick with it.

FSX is fantastic, especially with addons such as the ORBX scenery, but it takes a bit of managing to avoid the memory errors. I use the steam version and love it.

XPlane 11 is another alternative, not that expensive if you buy it on steam, and the amount of good quality freeware both airplanes and scenery is second to none. With mods some of the default aircraft can be made study level and are as good as any payware. It does need a decent system to run it though.

FS2020 is Bing maps with in game basic flight game. Steer clear for a couple of years until they get it right and the likes of PMDG are making stuff for it. (IMHO)

Geoff

Currently running FS9 on my laptop (Intel® Core™ i5-3340M CPU @ 2.70GHz with 16 Gigs RAM) with an attached monitor.

FS9 running with no issues but just wanting more realism. Obviously addons are a bit outdated for FS9.

Don't think I can run P3D with my current setup??

The answer to your question depends on 3 things:

(1.) How good you have FS9 looking and running now

If the sim is looking good and running good and you are happy then I would say stay with it. See point #3 below

(2.)How much time & money you have invested into making FS9 look and run good

It takes time to get a sim looking just right. If you spent a lot getting FS9 to run the best that it can and you are happy, do you really want to do it all again for FSX and then AGAIN for MSFS? It takes time to get FSX looking its best. The good news is that it can all be done for free. The nVidia Inspector tweaks specially make the most massive difference.

(3.)How long will it be before you upgrade to a rig capable of running the new MSFS?

This is the big one. Is it going to be a very long time before you get a rig to run MSFS? If so then yes it will be worth going to FSX.

• FS9------>FSX------>MSFS
  • FS9------------------>MSFS

It comes down to if you want to go to the "middle ground" - or eliminate that step and jump to MSFS when ready. Having said all that FSX is great, you will notice a difference, theres tons and tons of freeware of all kinds and now of course people have got down tweaks to a fine art. If you do go for FSX let me know on here and I'll show you links to the excellent nVidia Inspector tweak.

A note on MSFS

We could fill hundreds of pages with discussion on wether its a game or a sim. The visuals are fantastic but it does demand a powerful machine and blistering internet connection to enjoy at its best.

Right now in this current moment it does feel more "gamey" but dont worry about that because they are constantly working on improving things, the modders are at work (the A320 mod specially) and complex 3rd party planes are coming. Most of the complaints will be from hardcore simmers who are coming from XP11, FSX, P3D and expect full-on systems simulation of FMC and other avionics after flying PMDGs, its still too early for complex tubeliner flying in MSFS.

What it DOES excel at is awesome VFR bush/GA flying. Takes the visuals to a whole new level. No amount of addons in the other sim can come close...although dont get me wrong the addons ARE good (Orbx etc).

Im an XP11 user and use that for tubeliner flying and will use MSFS for low level GA because of the visuals.

I'm running an intel® Core™ i5-3340M CPU @ 2.70GHz. Would I have any issues running FSX? I don't have much money put into FS9 right now. Ran it many years when it first came out and then got out of flight simming. Just starting back into simming over the last year. I tend to lean towards realism vs gaming when I sim.

I used to run FSX:Accel on my laptop (Intel Core i5,3230M,2.6GHz + GeForce GT740M 2Gb) and it was fine. But you will need to replace as much default (world) textures with reduced as possible... and basicaly do all the other tweaks to reduce the load on your HW...

But I totally recomend to "switch" from FS9 to FSX ;)

I've used FS2004 until recently when I bought a new PC and migrated to every sim afterwards... FSX, P3d, Xplane and MSFS.... as a very experienced developer I can tell you, FS2004 is way better than FSX, you can find lots of addons and scenery you wont find in X. fps are great in old systems and updating it is very easy.... you can even use many free addons to make it look par to FSX. and it has many many aircraft not available for X.... So I highly recommend to stay in the 9. and go directly to MSFS as soon as you have a new PC. cheers!

Basically, if your system is borderline capable of FSX, use FS9; with decent mesh and terrain upgrades it will look better, run more smoothly, and be more stable. Trying FSX, by the time you cut back on enough options to make it run smoothly (stability is a different matter), it will look worse than FS9 while still consuming more resources.

Now just personal opinion but I want nothing to do with FS2020; essentially you buy a client which allows you to access the cloud based sim. Beyond online multiplayer games I want no games on my system that will not be completely functional if said system is not even connected to the internet.

Maybe I spoke out of turn then. I figured that FS9 was so old, there would not be addons that are still being produced for this version. that's all.

Developers also left FSX eons ago. FS9 still has mountain loads of stuff available. Some if it now freeware or discounted. For your system it will be much easier to run.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Whether it's FS 2002 or MSFS 2020, flying an Approach follows the same procedures. The PAPI lights stay the same.

The only thing that really changes is what it looks like outside the perspex.

Stick with Nine, and just fly! 👍😄

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG