Hello X Plane users

GridNorth

After a couple of years fighting with FSX and all of it's temperamental idiosyncrasies I've decided to invest in X Plane 11 but I want to start off on the right footing. Should I buy the Steam addition or buy direct? Do I just install where it says or is X Plane as fussy as FSX?

Alan

After a couple of years fighting with FSX and all of it's temperamental idiosyncrasies I've decided to invest in X Plane 11 but I want to start off on the right footing. Should I buy the Steam addition or buy direct? Do I just install where it says or is X Plane as fussy as FSX?

Alan

Hi Alan,

Don't have XP but I would suspect from your comments it doesn't matter which 'version' you get, but WRT the install path (and this comment should be viewed is a further comment to that I made on your Bye Bye FSX thread) the location will be just as important as it is for FSX.

XP will be just as 'fussy' as FSX as it is not the 'game' being 'fussy' but the security mechanisms of the OS that is causing the issue - namely the User Account Control (UAC) security feature. Most users install most 'games' and programs, not just FS ones, OUTSIDE of the 'preferred' default location(s) as the location(s) is controlled by UAC. That said, there are many users who use the default location without any issues.

The way to resolve UAC issues is to either turn off or turn down the UAC settings (this does have implications regarding your PC's security) OR simply install to a location outside of any OS controlled folders - for most users that is usually at C:\FSX or C:\XP11 for example.

If you buy the Steam version you can also point it to a location of your choice although if you have multiple steam 'games' it is best to create a Steam Main folder to hold the other 'games' - i.e C:\Steam\. Steam will then create it normal folder structure under this folder for each 'game'

Regards

Brian

Alan,

Welcome to the X-Plane world! I recommend that you purchase directly from Laminar and not run it through Steam. I like Steam, but only for games that I can't get anywhere else because it just adds another layer of memory usage by making you open Steam first before running X-Plane. At least is does with FSX:SE, so someone jump in if that is not the case.

As far as install directory it does not matter one bit. Run the program as administrator and you can install it anywhere. I had it in a folder on my desktop on my old computer and just copied that folder on to my D: drive on the new computer and everything works perfectly. X-Plane is very forgiving about where you install as long as its run as admin as its self-contained in the X-Plane directory.

I've downloaded the demo and I'm very impressed. All set up with Saitek panels, Yoke, rudders and remapped keyboard in less than 2 hours with not a single hiccup. Unlike FSX :-) I can't for the life of me though find a command for the Parking Brake. I can take it off or put it on, can't remember which but I want to set a key to toggle it. Where might that be?

Alan

'...........it just adds another layer of memory usage by making you open Steam first before running X-Plane. At least is does with FSX:SE, so someone jump in if that is not the case..........

Actually, the majority of games 'hosted' on Steam that have single player modes, including FSX-SE, do not require to be played online or to have a constant internet connection. Once you have downloaded, installed and activated the product you can change a number of settings that determines how the Steam Client functions and/or dictates what happens when you launch a game.

By default, the Steam client loads in on-line mode when you start your computer, connects to the Steam servers, checks for and downloads any updates to the Steam Client itself and then checks for/downloads any updates for the games installed.

You can, however, set up the Steam Client, using the Settings menu in the Library web browser page, to always start in Off-line mode - enabling this options stops the automatic download of game updates but not those for the Client which cannot be disabled. On start up you will get a message that allows you to select to start in either On or Off-line mode - this message is displayed irrespective of whether there is an internet connection or not. If you chose to go online then the client will function as normal and check for/download game updates. If you choose off-line mode the window closes and then you can simply click on the game's desktop icon to run the game as normal.

For more control you can also dictate when game updates are downloaded. Simply highlight the game in the library listing and change the download settings. The default is automatic but you can change it, for example, so that it only downloads when the game is started or disable them altogether.

Regards

Brian

Actually, the majority of games 'hosted' on Steam that have single player modes, including FSX-SE, do not require to be played online or to have a constant internet connection. Once you have downloaded, installed and activated the product you can change a number of settings that determines how the Steam Client functions and/or dictates what happens when you launch a game.

By default, the Steam client loads in on-line mode when you start your computer, connects to the Steam servers, checks for and downloads any updates to the Steam Client itself and then checks for/downloads any updates for the games installed.

You can, however, set up the Steam Client, using the Settings menu in the Library web browser page, to always start in Off-line mode - enabling this options stops the automatic download of game updates but not those for the Client which cannot be disabled. On start up you will get a message that allows you to select to start in either On or Off-line mode - this message is displayed irrespective of whether there is an internet connection or not. If you chose to go online then the client will function as normal and check for/download game updates. If you choose off-line mode the window closes and then you can simply click on the game's desktop icon to run the game as normal.

For more control you can also dictate when game updates are downloaded. Simply highlight the game in the library listing and change the download settings. The default is automatic but you can change it, for example, so that it only downloads when the game is started or disable them altogether.

Awesome Brian, thanks for jumping in there!

Alan, the B key is by default bound to the parking brake. You must think simplistically when using X-Plane...B for Brake...unlike FSX or P3D where its shift-alt-backspace-7-del or something like that! lol...just kidding, I use P3D as well, but prefer X-Plane

Ah, I see what you are saying. I don't think you can actually keybind the parking brake to a command. I think it needs to be turned on by actually clicking the parking brake in the aircraft and this is to prevent you from accidently turning it on by hitting a key. I do know that by pressing any brake key it will release the parking brake though. Anyway, if you go to settings/keyboard and then navigate to the functions as shown in the picture you will find all the brake commands you can map. I have my joystick trigger mapped to toggle brakes regular effort and toggle brakes maximum effort depending on how far I pull the trigger. Hope this helps!

button_cmds.png

Archived