Has Anyone done the New Windows 10 Update?

taslss

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has done the Windows 10 update that just came out. I read somewhere that it was causing problems with installs of FSX. I haven't updated yet. Would like a little bit more info from those who have.

Thanks

Come to the party a bit late on this one..............but

If you haven't done the update yet..........DON'T.............

It appears that the vast majority of reported issues (mainly all compatibility related) caused by the update is because users have 'rushed' to get the update and have done a manual update/install. This is because doing the install manually introduces incompatible files into the OS as it does not include a compatibility test beforehand.

Let MS install it onto your rig via the auto update route as the installer runs the compatibility test before hand and will not install any incompatible files.

You can check whether you have the update installed by either right clicking on the Start Menu button and selecting Run (or by pressing the Win key + R) and typing winver in the resulting box and then clicking OK - this will open a info window that displays the version info - 1703 is the Creators update and 1607 is the Anniversary update - the minor reversion numbers are then displayed after this main version number.

FTR I have two rigs running W10/FSX - one is updated to 1703 and the other is still at 1607 - both are running with no issues. The info I posted above is based on info I found on various websites when I was helping a friend resolve an issue he encountered after manually installing said update - he is a member of the armed forces and decided to manually update his rig before deploying to a location that does not have any public use WIFI networks available.

Regards

Brian

Interesting!! The Mrs. and I have Win 10. Her PC is months newer than mine (Both Identical), from 2016, but she has the updated 1703 version and mine is still at 1607 as of this writing. She told me a Windows Update took away her "Personalization" category in Control Panel. I am assuming this might be related to this update since it recently happened. I have not looked into it because when I mess with a PC, well, you might guess...

After a review of both machines tonight -"Control Panel", her "Display" category is also gone.

Redd

@ Redd,

Does the two missing categories appear as options if you right click on a clear area of the desktop?

Yes, they are shown/there but the Mrs. claims there is something "Different" about the content now (Personalization now does not have Screensaver, she says). I do not question her recall. She has an excellent memory! Thanks for pointing out the access. My PC still has these items in Control Panel.

REDD

Redd

I was looking at the MS websites for the same problem. There was one tip from MS which says: if you do not get the creators update via automatic update, do not update W10 manually by yourself with creators download from MS website

Peter

Ancient I7-2600@3900, 24gb ram, 250gb ssd win10/64, 500gb ssd fsx, 500gb ssd p3d v3.4

OK, I'll admit that my installation is not FSX, but P3D. BUT...

Yes, the Creators' Update did ruin the sim for me. The splashscreen and menu showed up alright but whenever I'd try to start a flight, the sim would complete loading then CTD. Tried uninstalling addons and flushing out config files to no avail. In the end, I had to reinstall P3D.

http://i.imgur.com/iMDlMAv.jpg

TseTse i5-9600K @ 3.7~4.5GHz | RTX2060 Super 8GB | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1TB Samsung 840EVO | Z390 Chipset | Windows 10 x64

I was looking at the MS websites for the same problem. There was one tip from MS which says: if you do not get the creators update via automatic update, do not update W10 manually by yourself with creators download from MS website

Peter

I did mine manually. The auto update did not work.

No issues, as reported.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Archived