Remember this 747?

This was the inaugural 747 aircraft that flew from the City of Everett, which is now more commonly called Boeing field near Seattle Washington. One of our members, Kenny (liner simpilot) was looking for someone to do a repaint, but I just happened to have run across an old freeware download of this very aircraft. The general public and those who very much wanted to restore this aircraft to be shown at the Boeing museum, all stuck in there and finally did complete this project. I had pics of just how badly this aircraft had deteriorated over the years (don't know where I put them), so the project took lots of manhours and money in restoring this bird to the near perfect condition it was in, when it was flown for the first time. I pull this out of my inventory once in awhile as it is still one of my favorites, just knowing the history behind it! Well, here goes again! Enjoy the flight! Here is one of my original pics I had, but I will try to post some more, if not thru an edit, but an additional post(s)! OH, and if you happen to read this Kenny, here's your 747, still flying! We haven't heard from you lately?

2018-5-28_9-11-40-549.jpg

2019-4-15_20-37-6-319.jpg

2019-4-15_20-38-4-701.jpg

There, "Ain't she pretty?!!" Look at how much smaller the engines were back then!

Rick :cool:

Edited by Downwind66

Oh my does that bring back memories! If I remember correctly I did a drawing of that same bird on white cardboard when I was a kid. Between seeing that for the first time, the airplanes flying in and out of a grass strip not too far from where I grew up and my Dad talking about his time in the Air Force was what stirred my passion for aviation. Thanks for the memories!

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice shots, Downwind66! Thanks! Those bygone days seem the best! These days the worn out 747's and other heavies are being flown in to my hometown airport to be "reconstituted," or, more accurately put, disassembled, the parts refurbished and re-sold to be used again on new planes.

Cheers!

bushp04

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Fly Southern, Y'all"

bushp04

Yes, bushp04, it is sad to see these work horses scrapped for parts and metal. I read an article not too long ago that whatever 747's were still flying and still in good shape will be restored and re-utilized in the air cargo business. They finally realized that these aircraft were the new age work horses and they were too valuable to put out for scrap! Same as the DC3, they served their time as work horses, still are in many cases. The 747 will continue to serve in the long hauls where the DC3's just aren't cost effective in making the long runs! I wish you had told me that your hometown is seeing less heavies flying in for scrap! I've seen some YouTube videos of aircraft flying in to some of these boneyards, and some still look quite well to be giving them up for scrap! Oh well, what do I know? Just a shame to see them destroyed!

Thanks for your comments to my thread!

Rick :cool:

Hey Rick,

It's sad but true, having that many engines is truly fuel wasteful in today's world. And if an airline can save a few thousand pounds of fuel per day, per plane, the old ones soon become hugely obsolete.:( At least for now, two huge engines is what everyone wants!

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I just stated my opinion on why the "Big Birds" no longer fly..

However I will say my favorite RW transcontinental air flights were all in 747s! Both from the US to Europe and even more so from the US to Japan. If you haven't spent time in the upper level of a 747 along with 14 +- friends who were served by two "hostesses" you don't realize the joys of old world flying!

I remember when four of my business associates and I made a round trip from Seattle to Tokyo in the upper cabin of a 747!! As I recall there were about 16 seats +- served by at least a stewardess during every inch of the way, on each trip. And yes they did have a Grand Piano and that piano was played while flying each way!

Later my wife and I made several airborne round trips from Boston to London in the upper deck of a 747 as well. They didn't have the piano but everything else was still top notch!

IMO air travel worldwide has "Gone to Hell!!' Being retired, we now make our trips to and from Europe on the Queen Mary II. Yes it takes days longer each way, but we are still treated as honored guests rather than Rats In A Cage!!

If you want to be treated as a human being on airplanes, upgrade to carriers who consider you a person rather than just a seat occupier!! And if time isn't an issue, TAKE A SHIP!! ;)

Michael

Edited by Rupert
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

As Michael said above, 'Being treated as a human being.'

I was on a British Airways BAC 1-11 many years ago and got upgraded to first class, there was only my wife and myself in there, the steward gave us the first class treatment, champagne breakfast, hot towels, and all drinks free that kind of thing, we were treated like royalty, very nice you might think.

Then after serving us he said, "I'll leave you for a moment, I have to assist the stewardess in economy, she is seeing to the rabble."

So on our return flight we traveled economy, so yes we were now 'Rabble' We could see up front in to the first class and they were getting the treatment and knocking back as much as they could drink, after that I had a different opinion of BA.

At my time of most using airplanes, about 1980, even like a 'Rabble,' I was happy as flying at times of the year with not much passengers aboard. I also confirm that those were days!

On the other hand, I feel that airlines will find their profit to offer service at a reasonable cost outside the rush times of holidays!

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net