Spitfire_MkVc Tropicalised Patrolling Along Algeria's Shores!

After the Allied landed in North Africa by November 1942, they pushed towards Tunisia. Here is a USAF Spitfire_MkVc Tropicalised patrolling along the northeastern shores of Algeria! One plane published today in the File Library! :cool:

spitmkVc.jpg

The 'c' in MkVc is for clipped wings, I think. 'Tropicalized' is for engine filter dedidated to tropical conditions. That plane was a update to the Spitfire who had fought in 1940. Some U.S. squadrons flew her

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

I had a "tropicalized" DC-3 once, after I lost a door. Happened just above Adam's house. Coincidence....NOT my fault.

Yeah, visiting the wine-n-cheeze storage for an inspection, Jan, on the way back, got hit by a little turbulence. Reached out to steady himself, and grabbed the door's Jettison handle by mistake. Plane then threw him the other way, thus PULLING the handle hard. Lucky for him, he managed to release the handle just in the nick of time. After all his parachute harness had been loosened to allow more room for cheese. :p

The rip-cord handle was also concealed by his Mae West, which he, for some reason won't get aboard a plane without. Even flying over the Sahara Desert. :pilot:

With the turbulence, the door didn't actually depart the aircraft for a second, allowing him time to let go the handle. Sadly, all this occurred just a hair before they passed over Adam's, causing the door to depart the aircraft, and fall on a trajectory, which, sadly, intercepted Adam's roof. Would have been a great aim if it had been a bombing run.

Now, aren't you all glad it had a happy ending??

:cool: :rolleyes: ;)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

on the way back, got hit by a little turbulence. Reached out to steady himself,...
:):):) Tropicalized just means equipped for the harsh conditions of the Tropics. That still exist for cars for those arid countries, with mostly a oil-bath air filter. That makes that dust and sand particles get trapped before the air reaches the carburetor and cause trouble :cool:

Thanks, on the other hand, for the comments. I even think such Spitfires were used after the Allied landing to update French air force pilots who found themselves in North Africa, with modern planes (landing gear, flaps, etc.)

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

"I even think such Spitfires were used after the Allied landing to update French air force pilots who found themselves in North Africa, with modern planes (landing gear, flaps, etc.) " Do I understand that French planes weren't equipped with landing gears and flaps?;):D
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Do I understand that French planes weren't equipped with landing gears and flaps?;):D

As I deviced once a website about the French Air Force by May 1940, when Germany attacked West, you may understand like that.

Most of the French planes of the time were outpaced, generally, except the famed Dewoitine 520 or the Curtiss which France bought from the USA.

The remaining of the most recent warplanes programs had been foiled by the 'Front populaire' strikes. That's why authors about the period are underscoring that, despite that, French pilots, scored well against the Luftwaffe. They also often question, on the other hand, whether the RAF did not spare its best planes which equiped the British Expeditionary Force, on the continent, like the Spitfire, for the expected Battle of England

And that's why, when Allies landed in North Africa by November 1942, they upgraded French pilots who were serving there, to latest airplanes

As I deviced once a website about the French Air Force by May 1940, when Germany attacked West, you may understand like that.

Most of the French planes of the time were outpaced, generally, except the famed Dewoitine 520 or the Curtiss which France bought from the USA.

The remaining of the most recent warplanes programs had been foiled by the 'Front populaire' strikes. That's why authors about the period are underscoring that, despite that, French pilots, scored well against the Luftwaffe. They also often question, on the other hand, whether the RAF did not spare its best planes which equiped the British Expeditionary Force, on the continent, like the Spitfire, for the expected Battle of England

And that's why, when Allies landed in North Africa by November 1942, they upgraded French pilots who were serving there, to latest airplanes

Yep!! I can assure you I'd rather fly a plane with landing gear installed! Unless of course I was a graduate of the PeerHoven Flight School where the emphasis is obviously on water landings only!!

That upgrade to install landing gear must have been a real favorite among those French who weren't that fond of swimming after every flight!! :cool::p:p:p

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Yep!! I can assure you I'd rather fly a plane with landing gear installed! Unless of course I was a graduate of the PeerHoven Flight School where the emphasis is obviously on water landings only!!

That upgrade to install landing gear must have been a real favorite among those French who weren't that fond of swimming after every flight!! :cool::p:p:p

Michael

Hey, I got it! Retractable landing gear I meant!

Tropicalized just means equipped for the harsh conditions of the Tropics. That still exist for cars for those arid countries, with mostly a oil-bath air filter. That makes that dust and sand particles get trapped before the air reaches the carburetor and cause trouble

I did that for my 1987 4Runner when I lived in Yuma! A very dusty, sandy, hot, and miserable place.

I bought the truck in '89, had it ever since.

Replaced the factory type air filter with a K&N filter. While not "oil bathed", I think, it IS oil "soaked". IE: There isn't liquid oil circulating through it, but during the initial install, and after cleaning the filter, you spray it with oil, thus "soaked". Works extremely well. Cleans the air wonderfully, not even allowing the very fine dust particles Yuma is so famous for to enter the engine. Breathes better than the factory type air filter, too. Fuel injected, so no carb, but still needs clean air to breathe.

In Yuma, it needed cleaning about once every 2 months of driving, but regular air filters need replacing after that period anyway. Saves a ton of money in replacement filters.I told you Yuma doth sucketh...:p

Still cleans for a treat, even though I live in Oregon, now. Only needs cleaning once a year up here.

Love that little truck...

Sorry. Back to airplanes, and His Highness' adventures!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Yes. I had one in a dusty tropical country on one Peugeot. The principle was that ahead of the usual air filter, was a oil bathed one, a one where oil -- engine oil, simply -- was found and when the air passed through, any dust, sand particles were trapped. The oil usually was to be changed when the engine oil was (oil change). A other trick for those tropical countries was that car's "silent blocks" (don't know if that terms in English) were reinforced to make suspension tougher

On the other hand, I gathered some data about what I was writing about the French Air Force by 1940 then 1942 (sorry for the length):

"September 1938, the French Air Force had only 493 fighters, 644 bombers and attack aircraft, and 340 reconnaissance and observation aircraft, i.e. 1 509 aircraft, whose state was good, but the vast majority of which were obsolete. The plans to make up for the delay compared to the rearmament of the third Reich could not succeed, despite the enormous efforts of the French aeronautical industry, production of which only increased in 1939 [and the modern planes of that time were rapidly destroyed on ground, or in fight]"

"[by late 1942] the French got their first glimpse of Allied airpower. Compared to France’s aging fleet, the Spitfires, P-40s, P-38s, B-17s were awe-inspiring: roaring, swift, and lethal". And also: Some cadets were even trained in the USA selves

Oil Bath air cleaners: Having lived in So. Ca. for several years I always used an oil bath air cleaner where you actually poured clean oil into it and the cleaner element stayed wet.

After moving to Ky my girl friend, who was long term borrowing that car at the time, took it in for a gasoline fill-up. (Remember this was early 1970's so they still had some full service gas stations.) The kid who pumped her gas showed her how "dirty and oily" the air filter was and sold her a new paper one.

She was so proud of herself for taking care of my car she bragged about it to me!!

So I went off to the gas station in a serious huff, threatened the owner bodily, etc. End of story, he called the kid back in to work without telling him why. We then discovered the kid had installed my "dirty and oily" oil bath air cleaner in his own car!!

Sometimes I feel the end of "full-service" isn't as bad as it sometimes seems!

Michael

Thanks for the comment! Hope the digressions following my lapse didn't hinder you to like the plane :) !

I like the plane just fine!! In fact I've been having a good time flying the JustFlight Dunkirk Spitfire myself. And though Jan probably wouldn't notice either way, I'm thrilled that it has landing gear as well!! ;)

Michael

flying the JustFlight Dunkirk Spitfire myself

Yes, I thought about your new plane when I found that one. A fine one too. I think I saw some kind of it, in a aviation review I had suscribed to when having my site about the French Air Force in May 1940

"Sometimes I feel the end of "full-service" isn't as bad as it sometimes seems!" The guy was just a oil-bathed filter tester :):)

Archived