FSX crazy scenery

kitspackman

I'm running an almost new version of FSX SE with very few scenery addons, but especially none on the West Coast of the USA.

From around 50 miles north of Los Angeles the Pacific Ocean suddenly turns into land, stretching out in a direct east-west line and away over the horizon! Various airports don't exist in the airports list either, LAX for a start! Also the entire state of Nevada isn't in there either.

It's like an entire chunk of the scenery database has vanished.

Any ideas how I can repair this please?

Hopefully there is a screenie of the problem below.

Regards

Kit

California scenery error-800.jpg

To verify your game files please do the following:

1. Load the Steam platform and log into your account

2. Click the Library tab in the menu at the top of the screen

3. Click the List View from the view options on the top right of the screen

4. Right click on Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition to bring up a popup menu

5. Click on Properties from the popup menu to bring up another popup box

6. Click on Local files from the popup box menu

7. Click on Verify integrity of game cache from the Local file options

8. Wait for the progress bar to finish verifying your files. Additional files may download

9. Restart Steam

10. Restart Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

No joy I'm afraid.

I followed the steps you posted, for which much thanks, and it went OK apart from the fact that there aren't any 'View options' top right with your step 3, but it didn't matter as FSX SE is the only Steam software I have.

It said it had noted 53 files that needed updating and when I re-started FSX SE it went through quite a process of downloading and installing files and then made a new scenery list.

Sadly Los Angeles and San Diego etc. still don't exist and neither does Nevada, and the land spreads way out to the west across the Pacific. :-(

During the startup FSX SE said there was a Invalid Remote Scenery path error in scenery area 21 which I don't recall seeing before, but area 21 on my system is some VFR photo scenery of the UK.

Regards

Kit

During the startup FSX SE said there was a Invalid Remote Scenery path error in scenery area 21 which I don't recall seeing before, but area 21 on my system is some VFR photo scenery of the UK.

Sometimes a corrupt scenery installation can affect the default scenery thousands of miles away.

Try uninstalling the VFR scenery and check the LA area again. If it hasn't re-appeared, run the Steam Verify process again. Once you have the missing regions back, try re-installing the VFR scenery as Administrator.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

This is just one out of many reasons I refuse to use Steam. Not for a Sim, not for a FPS. Nothing. I bought FSX Deluxe on eBay and glad I did.

At first glance I thought this was a mesh issue. But it looks like you have some corrupt scenery files thanks to Steam. If Steam's so-called repair function doesn't work, then it does indeed look like you'll have to reinstall. Since I don't use Stream I'm not sure, but I imagine you should be able to just uninstall it just like any other program.

Bring up the Library view in Steam, right click on FSX, left click on "Manage", left click on "Uninstall". When that is finished left click on FSX and then on "Install".

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

Nope, it's still just the same!

But it's not surprising as that process doesn't actually delete the major files from my PC, the ones with the problems are still there.

I'm going to go through the whole rigmarole again and delete the whole folder and drive and set it up again.

FSX (and also FSX-SE in suppose) keeps a copy of a "virgin" scenery.cfg in the main FSX program folder.

I would copy/paste this file into C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX (or whatever it's called in Steam) and see what gives. When doing this, you will need to add yr addons to the Scenery Library again, but I think it's less drastic than a complete reinstall.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

This is getting ridiculous!

I've now de-installed it, deleted the entire FSX file structure and then gone through the endless Steam re-install and it's STILL the same! And the 'Area 21' error is still there! How can that be, all the files are gone!

I'm tempted to post a 'This product doesn't work' to Steam and try and get my money back!

You may have deleted the entire FSX folder structure, HOWEVER: I wager you didn't delete the folder found at C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\FSX . THAT'S where the scenery.cfg file that is giving you trouble is located, not under the main FSX folder.

First, make a backup of the scenery.cfg file located where I specified, then copy the one found under the root FSX folder to that location. It's an emergency reserve back up file, and the game uses it to initially place the empty scenery.cfg file. Empty save for the default scenery. All the world's airports, mountains, cities, and so on. Everything you add or subtract using the Scenery Library feature goes into the remote file. The one in C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\FSX .

Thus, if you're having trouble with the world's scenery, THAT'S where to look, not under the root FSX folder.

A side note: If you add a scenery, let's just say KLAX for example, using the Scenery Library feature of the sim, and then decide you don't like it, do NOT just go into the Addon Scenery folder, or wherever you place it, and delete it. You will get problems like this. Use the Scenery Library feature to remove it FIRST, and THEN you can go delete it's folder, should you desire.

Good fortune!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

You're right, I didn't delete that copy of the scenery.cfg file.

But it's not where you indicated, if only because there isn't an 'All Users' folder anywhere. I've found two copies of it and two shortcuts to the file and all seem to be the default version, at least I think so.

I did use the Scenery Library feature to remove my Addon Scenery before I filed them away on another partition.

Anyway, I deleted the scenery.cfg file that Steam installed and copied the one on the C: drive across and IT WORKS!

I've got real California and Nevada back and I've flown in and out of LAX and out to Catalina just to show myself that it's all working.

Thanks to all of you who've tried to help me get out of craziness, I'm VERY thankful.

Regards

Kit

PS I'll add all the other sceneries item by item and check after every one.