SCENERY.CFG/scenery.cfg

svpst

Is there a difference between these two files? I've move UTX and GEX from my C: drive to an F: drive but it says it cannont find SCENERY.CFG, well neither can I. I have five files called scenery.cfg but none called SCENERY.CFG I recently reistalled FSX-SE and, although it works i do not have a file in users called FSX-SE. I have put my dilemma on 5 different STEAM forums but have received nothuing since May 22. Any ideas?

Brian W.

I5-8400, EVGA GTX 1070.ti, 16 gigs ram, 500g Samsung SSD, 1.5 T HDD, 1 T HDD, Win 10, 64bit.

Interesting! I don't have FSX-SE but I have 2 scenery.cfg files in my Sim. One hides in my Main FSX folder (I think it's just a backup file) The working scenery.cfg is in the same location as your FSX.cfg.

Please raise your hand when you are totally confused:confused:

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Well, I've got FSX:SE installed and fully operational. Works great.

There IS one Scenery.cfg in the root FSX folder, down in the D:\steam\steamapps\common\FSX (or whatever drive you use), but it's, as you said Zippy, a back-up. The default that comes with the sim, and gets placed during installation.

The actual, functional one, that get's altered when you add/subtract from your Scenery Library, is located at C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\FSX . That's the one you want, Brian.

At least in Win7.

Hope this helps a bit...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Well, I appreciate the quick response guys, but here's the deal. I've had FSX-SE working for a long time. All of a sudden, I tried to open it one morning, got a message "you don't have a SCENERY.CFG (all caps). I went to steam and they said it looks like you will have to reinstall. So with all my stuff after like 3 years, I reinstalled. Still don't have SCENERY.CFG. I tried to reistall UTX and got a message, we can't find SCENERY.CFG (all caps) I've been trying to get some response from setam for 3 weeks now and get nothing. I have the 2 scenery.cfg files that you both tell me about and FSX-SE works but I can't install UTX. I suppose I should go to ORBX but I don't have the cash right now. (retired and on SS and pension.) so I was hping to find this stupid file somewhere.

Brian W.

I5-8400, EVGA GTX 1070.ti, 16 gigs ram, 500g Samsung SSD, 1.5 T HDD, 1 T HDD, Win 10, 64bit.

Well, I appreciate the quick response guys, but here's the deal. I've had FSX-SE working for a long time. All of a sudden, I tried to open it one morning, got a message "you don't have a SCENERY.CFG (all caps). I went to steam and they said it looks like you will have to reinstall. So with all my stuff after like 3 years, I reinstalled. Still don't have SCENERY.CFG. I tried to reistall UTX and got a message, we can't find SCENERY.CFG (all caps) I've been trying to get some response from setam for 3 weeks now and get nothing. I have the 2 scenery.cfg files that you both tell me about and FSX-SE works but I can't install UTX. I suppose I should go to ORBX but I don't have the cash right now. (retired and on SS and pension.) so I was hping to find this stupid file somewhere.

I'm wondering if you have been affected, like some have, by the latest Win 10 update. The only thing I can think of is to do a search of your system and look for every SCENERY.CFG you can find My bet is you will only come up with scenery.cfg.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Well, I have noticed some things have changed since the last Win10 upgrade, mostly with displays, and True this may be one of them. I have searched all my drives (I have 3 HDD's and FSX-SE is on an SDD,) and only come up with the 3 scenery.cfg files (one in users\appdate\roaming\microsoft\fsx and one with in STEAM..FSX itself. Don't know why UTX can't find but UTX still tells me it can't find this SCENERY.CFG file it's looking for. Had no probalem at all with GEX

Brian W.

The message fromUTX IS this:

The SCENERY.CFG or other simulator file(s) could not be located at the expected location below:

C:Users\owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoift\FSX-SE\SCENERY.CFG.

This is a critical problem. Please visit the Ultimate Terrain support forum at:

http://www.simforums.com/forums

When I go to the simforums site I get a 404 File or Directory Not Found.

Somewhat frustrating. (I have no FSX-SE\SCENERY.CFG location. There is a scenery.cfg file in the directory. But it likes it not.

Brian W.

Win does not care if file name is caps or lowercase.

The scenery.cfg inside the main folder is not "just a backup". It is there to restore the active file if that ever becomes lost or corrupted. So don't delete the one in the main folder. Don't edit it either.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In Windows 10 the working scenery file is C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\SCENERY.CFG (in caps indeed).

(MrZ's location is for Windows XP).

If UTX gives the message

[color=#333333]The SCENERY.CFG or other simulator file(s) could not be located at the expected location below:[/color]
[color=#333333]C:Users\owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE\SCENERY.CFG.[/color]

then their installer is wrong imo. On my install (boxed FSX) there is no trace of any scenery.cfg in the AppData\Roaming\Microsoft folder and subfolders.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

Well, I can think of 2 things to try.

First, you could try copying the scenery.cfg in you root FSX directory to wherever the sim is looking for it. If it doesn't work, try renaming it with that all caps thing. Never heard of that before, bu you can give it a try.

As as has been said, don't change the one in the root FSX directory for any reason.

Second, have you tried the File Verification Steam offers? It really do work well. Open your Steam client, go to the Library, select FSX as though you wanted to play, but instead of another Lclick, rclick on it. Select Properties>Local Files>Verify Files.

Make sure you back up anything you've added to FSX since day one. Planes, gauges, effects, scenery, everything. Their Backup Local Files selection works very nicely, or you can do it manually.

In my experience, and I don't have Win10, won't for as long as I can, either, that File Verification system works very nicely for problems like this...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

….. I recently reistalled FSX-SE and, although it works i do not have a file in users called FSX-SE......

Hi Brian,

As Wim has pointed out in post #9 the correct location for the LIVE scenery.cfg for Win 7 and above is as he has stated...…

Is this install of FSX-SE a standalone install or is it installed alongside a boxed FSX install? - this is important because.....

If you had a current boxed version install of FSX and then installed SE alongside it you would have the following folder locations:

Boxed - C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\ and C:Users\owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoift\FSX\

SE - C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE and C:Users\owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoift\FSX-SE\

Howevr, if it is a standalone install of SE then you will only have:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\ and C:Users\owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoift\FSX\

Hence the reason for no FSX-SE entry.

Regards

Brian

I removed the boxed FSX several years ago. My system worked fine. I have the strings that you show for SE. So I should not have C:Users\owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoift\FSX-SE\. I don't have it. I have scenery.cfg files in both the Users string and the Program Data, BUTT UTX says its looking for SCENERY.CFG. I talked to UTX and they say SCENERY.CFG and scenery.cfg are the same. I've completely reinstalled UTX twice and still get the same message. But the way will full disclosure, UTX told me it MUST be installed only in the drive FSX-SE is in. So, I've installed it back in the c:drive and guess what. Same message. Something really is askew because my Scenery Config Editor is also screwed up. Fortunately I'm a patient guy, just not technically sauvy but frankly maybe I have conflicting software on my machine. who knows, but I appreciate your help. If I'm taking up too much time with that just tell me.

Brian W.

Hi Brian,

First, some clarification please...……

I don't have UTX (but do have GEX) but my understanding of the UTX product is that it (a bit like GEX) has an installer part (installs the individual scenery files etc) and a config manager part which you then run after the main install of files to configure/activate the scenery into FSX - which of these elements are causing the error - i.e. are you able to install the files but then get the error when running the manager or is it failing to install some/all of the files.

If the product is failing to install it could be related to registry key settings left over from the previous install - especially if, as stated in your original post, you 'moved' (i.e. simply copied) the original files from the C: to F: drive, rather than deleting and then reinstalling.

If the error occurs after successfully installing the files when you attempt to run the manager it could be due to missing files that failed to install or because the manger is looking at the wrong location (hence the error message about the scenery.cfg location). This could be due to problems with the actual scenery location paths within the 'live' scenery.cfg file.

In the case of the first instance I suggest that you follow the re-install process I have stated below. For the second instance try pointing the manger to the correct location and/or check, using SCE, that the scenery.cfg entries for the UTX stuff is correct. Two ways to do this - manually check the entries (as detailed below) or simply delete the areas from the list, save and close SCE before running the manger again

Re-install process

1. Download and install a registry cleaning tool. One such freeware tool is CCleaner but there are others available. They come in both freeware and payware but a freeware version is all that you need.

2. Uninstall any UTX stuff still installed, preferably using any dedicated uninstaller that it may have or, if necessary, using the standard Windows uninstaller.

3. Once you have used the uninstaller, manually check that all relevant UTX folders/files have also been deleted. If any residue folders/files remain manually delete them.

4. Reboot the PC. This will allow changes to be written/saved to the Registry.

5. Run the registry cleaning tool - this will check your registry for invalid/defunct/corrupt registry keys and will remove/repair them as appropriate.

6. Reboot the PC. This will allow changes to be written/saved to the Registry.

7. Reinstall UTX

SCE Errors

What sort of error(s) are showing in Scenery config Editor? Does it make reference to missing or duplicate areas etc? Are any UTX areas listed and, if so, do they show errors?

Some info that might help you to investigate and resolve some or all of your SCE issues...….

If you click on an item that has a warning triangle next to and, if necessary, scroll across to the right, it will give a basic indication of the problem.

Likewise, if you highlight an entry that has an issue and then click on the Text Editor tab, located at top left under the standard menu entries, it will open up at the selected area entry in the scenery.cfg file - the entries for the area may also offer up clues as to the issue(s).

A key entry to check within each scenery entry is the Local= string, as this 'tells' FSX where to find the scenery. If this string is missing, corrupt, misspelled or simply points to the wrong location it will cause an error.

Note, a important thing to know/remember - there is a key difference in the way the scenery is referenced in the scenery.cfg file depending on where you store scenery. Scenery folder locations located within the main FSX/FSX-SE folder or subfolders use 'abbreviated' strings whilst those located outside of FSX use 'full' strings. For example:

Abbreviated string, root directory of FSX - Local=

Abbreviated string, within a FSX folder (e.g. addon scenery - Local=addon scenery\

Full string, root directory of C:\ drive - Local=C:\

Full string, within a root folder (e.g. My addon scenery) - Local=C:\my addon scenery\

Another common issue is that, sometimes, the Local= entry changes to Remote= - this is an indication that the installation path of the scenery is unresolved or is thought to be residing on a removal source. If the rest of the string looks fine simply changing Remote to read Local will often resolve the issue.

I appreciate that some (or all) of this may be difficult to understand - I have tried to keep it simple but if you have any Q's or want more clarification on what is said reply to the thread, or if you feel the need to PM me.

With specific regard to some of your SCE errors - you can giving details of the error(s) and even copy and paste a few of the Area.XXX entry into the thread, so that I, or others, can give more specific views regarding the error

Regards

Brian

A guy named Jeff reached me from UTX and I just sent him some registry info so I'll see what he comes up with first, but I'm keeping your message. As far as CSE is concerned, whe I add a scenery in list it looks look. I then put it in my group and it looks good but when I save, exit and come back all "Group" data is gone. So it seems to be an issue with the save functions. It also tells me it needs information from sceneries which are part of the original scenery and for which there are already entries.

I'd gotten so used to things working well for years, I'd forgotten how I got to this point, now I feel like a damn baby starting over again. Been simming since '98 But not all that computer savy which gets me in trouble.

Brian W.

Hi Brian,

RE the 'Group' data - which data list is gone - the column that appears in the List view or the entries when viewed under the Groups tab...………...or are you referring to what happens when you are adding scenery to specific groups after initially adding the scenery.

In SCE there are three ways to do this. Try using one of the methods that you haven't used to see if that makes any difference -

Method 1 - At the time you add the scenery: When you click on the Add Area button it opens the Add/Edit Area window. You can add the scenery to a specific group using the Groups field - simply click on the down arrow located at the right hand side of the Name field and select the required entry or, if required, enter a new group name and then click on the + icon to add the new entry to the list. Save the change.

Method 2 - Editing the entry after adding: In List view highlight the required area and then click on the Edit Area button - the same Add/Edit Area window mentioned in method 1 will open. Add the Group as per method 1. Save the change.

Method 3 - Via the Groups list (this is the method that I think you are currently using): Go to Group View. This will show a list of all of your 'Group' entries plus an entry labelled 'Ungrouped'. Expand the 'Ungrouped' entry and select the area entry to be edited. You now have two options - either click on the Add to Group button or click on the Edit Area/Group button.

The Add to Group option will open a window that allows you to select the required group from the dropdown list but it will not allow you to add a new group name. Click OK to accept the change and the program should open the expanded group highlighting the new scenery. Save the change.

The Edit Area/Group option will open the same Add/Edit Area window mentioned in Methods 1 and 2 above and the process to add the group is the same.

RE needing information from sceneries which are part of the original scenery and for which there are already entries - by 'original' do you mean FSX default scenery. If so, do a simple quick check, using the info I gave in post #13 regarding the Local= entry, make sure they are not corrupted. Another quick check would be to check the [Area.xxx] entries for the default areas - as you have -SE they should run consecutively from [Area.001] to [Area.120]. The 'bracket' characters are important - a missing bracket can cause issues when the file is 'read' by FSX to load the scenery. Likewise, I have also see errors caused by the first 99 entries being truncated (i.e. missing the leading zeros - e.g listed as [Area.1] to [Area.99]

Regards

Brian

scenery.cfg is in location:

Box only - C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\

SE Only - (and never had box, or, have cleanly removed Box and removed all residual files):

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\

First box installed, then SE,

or... Box installed, not completely correctly removed, then installed SE

In those cases scenery.cfg for old/current Box is in:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\

and steam scenery.cfg will be in

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE

-------

It will not be in C:\\.....\Appdata

----

(I'm trying to remember if it was in Appdata in XP. Don't think so, but not sure.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...
Hello, it's me again. As I told you some time ago I was going to do a complete reinstall in conjunction with a couple of every helpful and smart with YTX and GEX suppout. We cleaned out my exture FSX FSXSE registry and started all over again. I nust have bothched a stepo in the reinstall, because FSXSE is up and running fine I have a couple of mysterious happening. When I open my Scenery Cofgig Editor, I got all "path does not exist" for the cities, Commin areas and scenery \1000 through 1107. So I have had to add each area via pointing them to the FSXSE file inside FSX itself. No problem, just a pain in the butt but it had to do with where I installed FSXSE. I created a file on my C: drive called STEAM FSXSE and installed simulator to that drive.. I'm not savy enough to know why that is causing issues with the sceneries. Can you enlighten me?

Brian W.

You were still using your old scenery.cfg file. That had the old locations of the (addon) sceneries.

When uninstalling fsx, files like scenery.cfg and fsx.cfg are not automatically deleted. And during reinstall, if the files exist already they are not (not all?) overwritten.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Brian,

Where you have physically installed -SE should have no bearing over what has happened. I suspect that, based on what you have said, one, or possibly both, of the following has happened.....

1. SCE is/was still pointing to the old scenery locations from the previous install. SCE, by default, uses what is called the 'new scenery.cfg' method - this can be changed using the options if desired. Basically it stores any changes made within SCE to a file called scenery.cfg.sce - and it is this file that the program loads/references each time you start it. Only when FSX is started are the changes/details written from this file into the 'live' FSX scenery.cfg file. As the current FSX install is in an entirely new location the scenery.cfg.sce fill will still be referencing the old location of the scenery.

Solution - change the SCE configuration so that is recognises the new install location.

2. It is also possible that some of the default areas (e.g cites and common areas) got corrupted and/or duplicated, hence the ref for areas 1000 to 1107.

Before adding any new areas there are/should be a total of 120 default areas in a -SE install and they should run con-currently using entries [Area.001] to [Area.120].

In the past I have helped others whose scenery.cfg entries for the default areas have been corrupted and/or duplicated or both. The corruptions can take the form of.....

A. Invalid [Area.xxx] format - for example a common issue I have seen is that the entry drops one or both leading zero's (i.e. the entry reads [Area.01] or [Area.1].

B. Invalid scenery location indicator statement- within each scenery entry is a number of 'indicator statements', the main one being the Local= entry. This tells the sim where to physically find the scenery. If this entry is corrupted/wrong the sim will be unable to find and load the scenery. A common problem here is that, instead of stating Local=, it states Remote= instead. This often occurs if there was a problem reading the install media and is an indication that the sim is looking 'outside' the sim for the required scenery files.

In both case, you will get the "path does not exist" error message BUT, crucially, in the case of reason A. above the sim will often 'reload' the default areas entries, either re-assigning the correct [Area.xxx] numbers (which will normally result in a 'duplicates area' error message) or by assigning new [Area.xxx] numbers (which will normally result in a 'duplicate area name' error message).

However, it is important to note that, IME, if the error is caused by a combination of corrupt/invalid [Area.xxx] AND Local= entries the "path does not exist" error message seems to 'win' the error message argument and gets displayed. So fixing one error may lead to getting a different error message on the next load.

Solution - the only way to properly check for such errors is to view the scenery.cfg file in Notepad, or better still in the built-in text editor that comes with SCE and manually correct the problems. Not wishing to sound disrespectful, but this may not be an easy option for most people as you do need a good understanding of how the entries are formatted and how changes to one entry may affect another entry. If you wish to go down this route I am more than happy to give you more info, pointers, tips etc.

Also see your PM box for an additional offer of help...…...:)

Regards

Brian

Archived