I set up a flight from the south end of Sardinia to the north end of Corsica. Both islands have a maximum elevation of slightly over 8,500 feet. I chose the Baron on the first flight, built a flight plan using low level airways, went into the nav log and requested 9,000 cruise. The baron has a ceiling of ~20600 feet, but anything over 19,000 is a struggle. ATC sent me up to 29,000 feet. I requested a FL decrease and got the reply "climb and maintain FL 290, expect 9000" which by the way the ATC works here, you have to reach FL290 before it will send you down to 9,000'.

OK, I gave up, went back and selected the Diamond 40NG and built the same flight plan, except this time I requested 11,000'. The ceiling on the Diamond is ~16,400, but is really more like 14,500 in practical operation. Again the ATC sent me to FL290!

There should be some pleasant way of saying "Look idiot, I can't get there!" to such ATC demands. The cruise level request obviously does not work. Why can't you just ask for an altitude without the request altitude decrease malarkey?

ATC error.jpg

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I set up a flight from the south end of Sardinia to the north end of Corsica. Both islands have a maximum elevation of slightly over 8,500 feet. I chose the Baron on the first flight, built a flight plan using low level airways, went into the nav log and requested 9,000 cruise. The baron has a ceiling of ~20600 feet, but anything over 19,000 is a struggle. ATC sent me up to 29,000 feet. I requested a FL decrease and got the reply "climb and maintain FL 290, expect 9000" which by the way the ATC works here, you have to reach FL290 before it will send you down to 9,000'.

OK, I gave up, went back and selected the Diamond 40NG and built the same flight plan, except this time I requested 11,000'. The ceiling on the Diamond is ~16,400, but is really more like 14,500 in practical operation. Again the ATC sent me to FL290!

There should be some pleasant way of saying "Look idiot, I can't get there!" to such ATC demands. The cruise level request obviously does not work. Why can't you just ask for an altitude without the request altitude decrease malarkey?

Did you set your cruise height in the NAV LOG when you were setting up your flight?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I think a report to the Zendesk is in order.

Can’t see them fixing it anytime soon though. It’ll join the backlog

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

If you would please read the post, the question is answered!!

"I chose the Baron on the first flight, built a flight plan using low level airways, went into the nav log and requested 9,000 cruise."

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

If you would please read the post, the question is answered!!

"I chose the Baron on the first flight, built a flight plan using low level airways, went into the nav log and requested 9,000 cruise."

Apologies, and correct, not fully digested before chipping in [emoji55]

I know you meant well. My frustration probably tainted my reply!

I thought maybe they had changed the units to meters and forgot to change the interface on the NAV LOG??

Using IFR low altitude may help when setting your flight plan? Otherwise I read somewhere that you may have to physically save the flight plan prior to starting the flight for the altitude entry to save.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had this happen in FSX on a flight between Sicily and Corfu. That turned out to be an error in the coding of an addon airport that I had bought for Corfu by Flytàmpa. They sorted it out with a patch.

Assuming you don't have any community scenery in the area which may cause it then Steve is right, a ticket to Zendesk is in order.

It used to frustrate me in FSX too so don't worry about your earlier reply! [emoji4]

regards

Stinger

I am completely stock at this point, no addon liveries or scenery. I am going to try IFR Low level again today from an airport in Corsica. It could be an elevation error at LIEE?

Building a low level IFR plan out of LFKR works normally. I strongly suspect that LIEE has an elevation error.