Making the big step, FSX to P3Dv4

kalizzi

Hi,

Never used P3d before, now I'm going from FSX to P3Dv4. A number of questions that you guys must have heard many times:

1. Can I keep both FSX and P3D on my computer?

2. What are the main differences with regards to the user interface?

3. Can I install my same P3D purchase on my laptop as well? Or do I need to buy another copy?

Thank you guys for your help in advance.

K.

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi,

Never used P3d before, now I'm going from FSX to P3Dv4. A number of questions that you guys must have heard many times:

3. Can I install my same P3D purchase on my laptop as well? Or do I need to buy another copy?

K.

Do you meet the EULA? Check first...

1:Yes, you can have both sims installed at once.

2: UI is slightly different. YouTube video and picture galleries have what you need.

3: It's one license one computer, so either you will need to uninstall from one machine in order to activate on the other or you need a second license for the `other ` machine.

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=124375

Hey there!

I have and use both FSX and P3D. P3D has an advantage as far as OOM issues. But there are almost no airplanes of my perceived value in the stock P3D offering and I'm having a huge time trying to find freeware aircraft anywhere either.

With all due respect: I have to say I have found no, nada, nothing, of value in the soldier in camo, hand held weapons, submarine, etc. that come with the basic P3D set. I almost feel like since this is Lockheed, they don't want us to enjoy anything from a company that competes with their RW offerings!!??

There is a much better selection of freeware machines online for FSX than I can find anywhere for P3D! Not to mention that FSX, out of the box, has a ton more aircraft than P3D itself! I've had P3D for a few years now and keep hoping it'll be more than just an advertisement for Lockheed RW products. So far, that hasn't happened!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Hi,

K.

1. Yes

2. Quite similar

3. Don't know - check the LM website

Today you will be buying P3Dv4.3, which is a 64-bit version of an otherwise improved FSX. Currently there are few if any free and compatible add-on planes available, but an increasing number of version 4 (64-bit) commercial planes. If you have purchased Orbx sceneries for FSX, Orbx graciously let you install them for free in P3Dv4 using FTX Central 3. I think you will find the new sim an improvement - good luck!

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

Hi,

K.

1: Yes you can and that is in fact quite a useful thing to do because quite a few FSX add-ons will work with P3D but won't install to it, so you can install them to FSX and then manually copy them over to P3D, or point P3D at them. Note that if you do this, you may need to copy gauges, effects, sounds etc manually too, not just the main aeroplane folder, and not everything will like it when you do this, so there is no guarantees where doing that sort of thing is concerned, but it is nevertheless well worth keeping FSX around for this reason even if you decide on P3D being your main sim of choice.

2: The interface is not so different that you won't get used to it quickly and you'll probably end up preferring it to FSX eventually.

3: Nope, you need to buy two copies to have P3D on a laptop and on a desktop, which I personally did do, but on balance I think it was probably an unnecessary expense for me since I don't use it on my laptop very much (used to when travelling about, which is why I initially did buy two licences), however, having done it, I do know it is the case that if you try to install it on two machines with only one licence, the online registration protection simply will not let you proceed. Incidentally, the same applies to a lot of add-ons too, which means further expense as well, so think carefully about whether you really need two installations of it. You could swap between two installations by registering/de-registering copies on an ad-hoc basis, but I have never tried that and I think it would be a lot of faffing around to do it.

Michael, John and Al thank you for your replies and help. Best wishes. K.

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello

As the rest of the forums users have stated, each Computer (Operating system) requires an additional License.

However, If you wish to test Prepar3D on your laptop you can uninstall \ deactivate the Prepar3D Client on your current computer, By deactivating the Client only the Prepar3D License will release from your Operating system, Allowing you to Install, activate and test Prepar3D on your Laptop

Please see this topic below for steps to deactivate Prepar3D

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=130807

Elaine Dixon

Hello

As the rest of the forums users have stated, each Computer (Operating system) requires an additional License.

However, If you wish to test Prepar3D on your laptop you can uninstall \ deactivate the Prepar3D Client on your current computer, By deactivating the Client only the Prepar3D License will release from your Operating system, Allowing you to Install, activate and test Prepar3D on your Laptop

Please see this topic below for steps to deactivate Prepar3D

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=130807

Thank you Elaine for your advise, first I need to get it to work then I shall worry about these things. I am having a hard time with the installation, but I hope to overcome all of that. Thank you once more and best wishes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I switched from FSX to P3D about 5 months ago and haven't looked back. P3D performs much better than FSX and the quality of the graphics is so much better. The switch to P3D is easy as the UI is very similar. I've deleted my FSX as I will never use it again. I think my frame rates doubled as well since P3D makes better use of your system resources. And P3D v4.4 will be out today from what I hear.

Jack T.

MSI Z370 SLI Plus, i7-9700k, 32 Gb DDR4 3600 MHz memory, PNY RTX 4070Ti

I switched from FSX to P3D about 5 months ago and haven't looked back. P3D performs much better than FSX and the quality of the graphics is so much better. The switch to P3D is easy as the UI is very similar. I've deleted my FSX as I will never use it again. I think my frame rates doubled as well since P3D makes better use of your system resources. And P3D v4.4 will be out today from what I hear.

If your frame rates doubled, there was something very wrong with your FSX..!

P3Dv4.3 runs about the same as FSX, but can offer extra bang your buck. These `bangs` will easily eat up any FPS advantage - the `ex-spurts` will tell you if you run P3D without these additional bells and whistles it may run P3D faster than FSX, but then it is effectively FSX+, so what's the point of that? It's only gain is the 64-bit architecture solving the CTD caused by running out of memory.

The `problem` is that many FSX addons that worked fine in FSX do not function in P3D4.3 and those that do may not install correctly in the new P3D system, and that can cause real problems later on... ALL consideration should therefore be based on not merely what P3D will cost, but also what it will cost to update or replace addons with P3Dv4 versions, update ones hardware to take advantage of the new features and the costs of using them - an upper end 970-980 Nividia card or larger is a pre-requisite for the maintenance of FPS, for example...

I actually spend longer assessing the rig, based on the simmers intended use, than I do installing P3D, including `cost-to-transfer`. SLI doesnt work for P3Dv4 for example, so Kalizzi will probably be unhappy with the results of his `upgrade` without shelling out for a bigger, better graphics card. But as we never had a discussion about his pattern of use that's for him to find out for himself...

If your frame rates doubled, there was something very wrong with your FSX..!

. SLI doesnt work for P3Dv4 for example, so Kalizzi will probably be unhappy with the results of his `upgrade` without shelling out for a bigger, better graphics card. But as we never had a discussion about his pattern of use that's for him to find out for himself...

Not correct. SLI works just fine with P3D. I ran two 1070's in SLI for a while and they were fine. There was a problem with early P3D versions but SLI has been fine since V3. That said though, I found the benefit of SLI vs single card was not worth the cost of the extra unit. I would NOT recommend anyone buy two 1080 or 2080 just for P3D. If you already have them, the results will be just fine.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Not correct. SLI works just fine with P3D. I ran two 1070's in SLI for a while and they were fine. There was a problem with early P3D versions but SLI has been fine since V3. That said though, I found the benefit of SLI vs single card was not worth the cost of the extra unit. I would NOT recommend anyone buy two 1080 or 2080 just for P3D. If you already have them, the results will be just fine.

Vic

SLI works, but not fine:

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=126664

As I said, it works fine. If one doesn't know how to set it up, then blame the user not the equipment.

For me and many others SLI is just fine, for some others, it is not - but that can be said of P3D in general.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

As I said, it works fine. If one doesn't know how to set it up, then blame the user not the equipment.

For me and many others SLI is just fine, for some others, it is not - but that can be said of P3D in general.

Vic

Look again: Rob McCarthy is P3D, and was cautious in his optimism. P3Dv4.4 contains more information about SLI in the new SDK. I don't see that as `down to the individual or settings`

Look again: Rob McCarthy is P3D, and was cautious in his optimism. P3Dv4.4 contains more information about SLI in the new SDK. I don't see that as `down to the individual or settings`

Not only did I look again I also have RUN SLI for several years. Have you? As with ANYTHING software related it will work with some and not with others. That's it - if it works on your system it will work JUST FINE - if it doesn't - it won't.

Rob doesn't say it doesn't work - neither did Beau. Did YOU read and understand the post(s). They both say exactly what I said - depends on system and settings.

So when someone asks whether SLI works in P3D I suggest helping by informing them that it depends on settings but yes it does as opposed to spreading misinformation by saying it doesn't work.

Vic

P3D Rig

Archived