Carenado PA28 Dakota

HPR7 mad

Hi all,

I have finally decided to give FSX a go and have been gradually digging out my payware

AC to install. I have abit of a passion for Carenado GA aircraft and have being slowly loading

them into the sim. All was going welluntil I loaded there Piper Dakota.

Although this was originally a native FS9 AC, the pack that I downloaded sometime ago is

FS9/FSX compatable and I loaded it into FSX and then installed the FSX upgrade that came

with it, although I believe this only addssome external views and a thumbnail jpg, I installed

it as instructed anyway. The AC loads fine, but I seem to be missing something in the VC,

as I can see the runway in several places, thats never a good sign, surely;).

I have enclosed a screenshot and highlighted the areas that are causing the problem, and

it is no different inwindowed or full screen mode. It works absolutely fine in FS9, and I am

not yet using DXT10.

I have checked the Carenado website for any other updates, but there are no other updates

available. I know that any texture that is completley black will be transparent in the sim,

so I wondered whether this may just be a case of finding the texture sheet and editing it, or

its just a case of "that as good as it gets".

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated as I love my little "Piper Fleet" and as sad

as that may be:oI would be a bit miffed if I can't get the Dakota to work at a reasonable level

on FSX.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]203125[/ATTACH]

Thanks in advance, and cheers to all you great simmers out there.

Richard C

i7-4770K 4.60 GHz (Hyperthreading off) Liquid Cooling 16GB G-Skill DDR3 GeForce GTX1050Ti 4GB 500GB WD Blue 3D SSD SATA III x4 Creative Sound Z Sound Card 5.1Ch 24BitAvermedia video capture card CH Yoke and Rudder NZXT Fan Controller Windows10 64 Prof FS9 - FSX -FSX-SE Track Hat

You have a few missing gauges. Probably gauges are installed, but can't run in fsx, only in fs9. That happens when gauges were made using fs8 sdk. Those can run in fs9 too, but not in fsx.

Fix is to manually install fsx gauges that do show up in these spots.

You add the new gauges to the panel folder of the aircraft. Then edit the panel.cfg file so these new gauges will show. To make then show in the correct location, you use the same gauge coordinates that the non-showing gauges have.

This editing will have to be at the bottom of the file, in the [VCockpit] section.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Actually, if these missing gauges do show up on the 2d panel, you can use the gauges from the [Window01] section. Find the lines that make them appear, then copy them to the VCockpit section. (and adjusting the coordinates).
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I was kinda hoping it was just a texture issue, because I cant

see any gauges missing when I compare the FS9 install and the FSX install, and

looking at the throttle lever and prop lever, it just seems like it is texture missing.

This is the same aircraft in FS9, no missing gauges or holes in the VC :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]203167[/ATTACH]

With regard to upgrade to the FSX install, I have enclosed a couple of screenshots

of the Carenado readme file and the installer that I used, which I assumed would

give the AC some sort of FSX compatability :confused:, perhaps I am expecting a

bit to much, and to be honest, I have other Pipers to fly so its not that much of

a problem if I cant get it to play properly, just wish Carenado hadn't made out

that I was compatable :( with FSX

Installer info:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]203170[/ATTACH]

Carenado readme:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]203171[/ATTACH]

Confusing to say the least :confused:

Cheers for the input anyway

i7-4770K 4.60 GHz (Hyperthreading off) Liquid Cooling 16GB G-Skill DDR3 GeForce GTX1050Ti 4GB 500GB WD Blue 3D SSD SATA III x4 Creative Sound Z Sound Card 5.1Ch 24BitAvermedia video capture card CH Yoke and Rudder NZXT Fan Controller Windows10 64 Prof FS9 - FSX -FSX-SE Track Hat

That is not a gauge issue, it is a compatibility issue.

Either you are not using Acceleration or SP2 as required, or you are using one of those and the fix was pre-SP2.

Are you using the DX10 Preview mode?

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Hi Stringbean,

I think you may be right, I am using SP2 but not DX10 as yet, and looking at the date

of the update, it looks like it may well predate SP2 so it looks like a compatability issue.

I installed the update into a separate folder and it only contains a few files, an AC cfg

file and a panel cfg which are probably only for camera definitions. The only other files

are a thumbnail and a batch file for the install. I have had a look at all the textures

using the SDK imagetool, but cant see anything that could be edited, so I guess it is

just the way the VC displays in FSX :(

Just as a matter of interest while I am on the subject of textures, is there any

performance gain by removing the mip maps from the AC textures, I know that its a

good idea for AI, but I seem to think I read somewhere that they are not really needed

for flyable aircraft, or am I getting confused with removing airports scenery mip maps

to reduce shimmers :confused:

cheers

How about (if you don't want to see the runway, just hit F9 for VC, then hit the "+ sign " button your keyboard. That will draw your panel closer to you and fill the screen where you're seeing the runway on either side. (Also, can adjust it back away a little at a time by lightly tapping the "minus button.") Do whatever suits you, but I'll tell you truth, it's better up close for me because I barely can see some of Carenado's gauges, especially their 2D panel on my Stationair--nevertheless, it remains my favorite!

(Of course, this won't solve the missing texture issue.) Oh, btw, if you have the FSX Gold Edition (with Acceleration), you should do a system check--mine says I have DX11 installed.

Good take-offs!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Fly Southern, Y'all"

bushp04

Hi bushp04,

Thanks for the reply, I think thats the best solution, like you I find the gauges difficult

to see, even on my larger monitor, but I love the Carenado GA aircraft, I have flown a

fair few in the real world, and they bring back a lot of memories of my time in NJ and

NY in the mid 80s :), home airport N07, great days in a great country with great people.

Favorite Piper single is easy, PA24 Commanche, favorite Cessna, P210 Centurion, now

thats what I call piston singles :cool:

happy landings

Hi bushp04,

Thanks for the reply, I think thats the best solution, like you I find the gauges difficult

to see, even on my larger monitor, but I love the Carenado GA aircraft, I have flown a

fair few in the real world, and they bring back a lot of memories of my time in NJ and

NY in the mid 80s :), home airport N07, great days in a great country with great people.

Favorite Piper single is easy, PA24 Commanche, favorite Cessna, P210 Centurion, now

thats what I call piston singles :cool:

happy landings

You will want to focus on Carenado aircraft that are specifically for FSX - after all this time if it's not compatible with FSX and patched appropriately the chances of it being so are remote.

e.g. You can get a PA24 Comanche from A2A and IIRC Carenado updated their P210 to full FSX compliance.

The very best Dakota for FSX was from DreamFleet.

Hi malcott

Thanks for that, I have the Comanche and P210, but will have a look at the Dreamfleet

FSx Dakota,

cheers

Archived