• Two Years Of MSFS 2020

    Microsoft Flight Simulator Release Times

    Can you believe it? Microsoft Flight Simulator (aka MSFS 2020) was released two years ago today. This new version of the sim has certainly revived interest in computer flight simming and changed the way we looked at the virtual world. It's come a long way in the two years since that initial release and as an on-going project still has a lot to come in the future.

    Read the release announcement

    Tags: mfs, microsoft, msfs

    21 Comments
    1. RI_Red's Avatar
      RI_Red -
      And eight more years of updates. Oh boy!
    1. sky44's Avatar
      sky44 -
      And it still in Alpha!!!!with Updates messing up all kind of things!!!!
    1. sky44's Avatar
      sky44 -
      I'll be dead in 8 years so I don't care....but you are right never seen such lousy programming.
    1. N069NT's Avatar
      N069NT -
      I am just one year in this month and it has had a lot of trials and tribulations for me up until about 4 months ago. CTDs finally stopped (no, it was never my overclocked hardware and I knew it was not). One of the SUs fixed that issue earlier this year. That said, I am still just too weary of spending big money on third party complex aircraft add-ons with some future service update breaking something. If there are no reports of SU10 breaking something after release next Tuesday 8/23, I'll probably dive in to several of them. Overall I'm extremely happy and I believe Asobo finally streamlined their communication channels internally with updates and what NOT to break.
    1. sky44's Avatar
      sky44 -
      Keep hoping, keep hoping!!!!
    1. gt401964's Avatar
      gt401964 -
      I had enough of constant crashes and crap and got a refund on it. I was over it. But, I have now purchased it again and honestly have had no problems from the past. The only add on aircraft I have atm are the FBW A320 and the PMDG 737-700 and they are working fine. I just hope with future updates they still work.
    1. rooitou's Avatar
      rooitou -
      Two years and still no flyby view. Looks like we'll have to wait for a third party developer to help the French out. Otherwise I'm both impressed with it (great VR implementation and looking beautiful sometimes), but also annoyed by the long load time, frequent updates, strange weather system (wind blowing opposite to briefing info) and the horrendous gothic-looking buildings in some places. But overall I'd give it perhaps a 75% score.

      I'm still "trying it out" on my XBOX monthly GamePass subscription though, and will only buy the sim once they have given us a flyby view. Only then will it be a complete product in my opinion.
    1. Roger Wensley's Avatar
      Roger Wensley -
      It looks good from the air, but that's where the praise stops. If it was a car and required as much attention to keep it running then a court case followed by a court ruling on compensation and then bankruptcy..........
    1. mallcott's Avatar
      mallcott -
      Should be getting it right by now? Surely...
    1. sky44's Avatar
      sky44 -
      These guys sure need help!!!! they are drowning with so many glitches and strange situations. Some of you crack developers give them a hand!!!!
    1. JSkorna's Avatar
      JSkorna -
      Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wensley View Post
      It looks good from the air, but that's where the praise stops. If it was a car and required as much attention to keep it running then a court case followed by a court ruling on compensation and then bankruptcy..........
      It looks good from anywhere and most of us have not had a problem with MSFS.
    1. maddog80's Avatar
      maddog80 -
      I have had this product for two years and have done absolutely nothing with it! Still little to no progress with PMDG and FS2 Crew. No way to prioritize scenery. My favorite issues are the bridges that go underwater, submerged marinas and boats, shrubs that look like rocks, and rectangular palm trees, the best of all is ATC voice guy that sounds like a stoner.
    1. sky44's Avatar
      sky44 -
      Quote Originally Posted by JSkorna View Post
      It looks good from anywhere and most of us have not had a problem with MSFS.


      sure, yea.
    1. ftldave's Avatar
      ftldave -
      After two years, has the "Sell now - Patch later" MSFS business model really served flight simmers all that well?
    1. JSkorna's Avatar
      JSkorna -
      Quote Originally Posted by ftldave View Post
      After two years, has the "Sell now - Patch later" MSFS business model really served flight simmers all that well?
      Did the 1 patch for FS2004 serve flight simmers all that well?

      Did the 2 patches for FSX server flight simmers all that well?

      Many of us knew what we were getting with the MSFS business model and we take all the good things and deal with the few bad things.
    1. JSkorna's Avatar
      JSkorna -
      Quote Originally Posted by sky44 View Post
      sure, yea.
      So quit believing everything you read on the internet.
    1. sky44's Avatar
      sky44 -
      hahahahaah, lets wait for the 200th patch, someday it will come.....maybe that one ends the jungle of problems, maybe!
    1. ryogahibiki345's Avatar
      ryogahibiki345 -
      Quote Originally Posted by rooitou View Post
      Two years and still no flyby view. Looks like we'll have to wait for a third party developer to help the French out. Otherwise I'm both impressed with it (great VR implementation and looking beautiful sometimes), but also annoyed by the long load time, frequent updates, strange weather system (wind blowing opposite to briefing info) and the horrendous gothic-looking buildings in some places. But overall I'd give it perhaps a 75% score.

      I'm still "trying it out" on my XBOX monthly GamePass subscription though, and will only buy the sim once they have given us a flyby view. Only then will it be a complete product in my opinion.
      With the drone camera you can literally create your own flyby view. That said, the fly by view is really not that essential to flying or enjoying the sim as it is now. The fact that something that is very trivial to the overall performance of the sim is holding you back is rather sad.
    1. ryogahibiki345's Avatar
      ryogahibiki345 -
      Quote Originally Posted by maddog80 View Post
      No way to prioritize scenery.
      There is literally no need to prioritize scenery. This isn't like FSX/P3D where you have to stack stuff on top of other stuff, and give priority to add-ons.
    1. ryogahibiki345's Avatar
      ryogahibiki345 -
      Quote Originally Posted by JSkorna View Post
      Did the 1 patch for FS2004 serve flight simmers all that well?

      Did the 2 patches for FSX server flight simmers all that well?

      Many of us knew what we were getting with the MSFS business model and we take all the good things and deal with the few bad things.
      You are correct, but there were actually 3 updates(service packs) for FSX the last pretty much went in pretty quietly and was overlooked by a lot of people. A lot of people forget how truly horrible FS9 and 10 were out of the box(and out of the box both still are). If it hadn't been for the 14 years of 3rd party support for FSX, it would have died a long time ago. So those people crying that Asobo is still supporting their product to make it what we want is pretty asinine.
  • Recent Forum Activity

    mitch221

    Soldiering on with FSX

    Thread Starter: mitch221

    Currently running an AMD Ryzen 3 3200G with Radeon Vega Graphics 3.6Ghz. 16GB of Ram with a 1TB HDD. This has generally served me well for the...

    Last Post By: Cas141 Today, 04:49 AM Go to last post
    adamb

    SHHH! I found Jan's secret cottage in the woods

    Thread Starter: adamb

    MSFS No explanation needed There he is sound asleep, hehe

    Last Post By: azzaro Today, 12:26 AM Go to last post
    Ottersphere

    FS2002 Patches for Airport 2000 Volume 3 and 767 PIC

    Thread Starter: Ottersphere

    Does anybody have these patches? None of the old Wilco links work any more. I’d be happy to return the favor if I have any files somebody else needs!...

    Last Post By: Ottersphere Yesterday, 10:12 PM Go to last post
    plainsman

    New Where did you fly today

    Thread Starter: plainsman

    The original thread had lots of interest, but is getting too large. A short flight from Phillipsburg, Kansas to Holdrege, Nebraska. You fly over...

    Last Post By: davidc2 Yesterday, 08:15 PM Go to last post