• KerrSpectives - CNC3 Brampton-Caledon Airport Pro For MSFS 2020

    KerrSpective 4

    Rolling Back The Years With CNC3 Brampton-Caledon Airport Pro For MSFS 2020

    By Kenneth James Kerr

    KerrSpective - Brampton Caledon Airport for MSFS 2020

    When I was a teenager, my dad once told me, “The older you get the faster time goes.” I clearly remember thinking it was one of the daftest things I’d ever heard my dad say, but nearly fifty years later it is amazing how wise and true it has turned out to be.

    With the passage of time, and the increasing years, I have discovered not only how time does indeed fly, but also how luxurious it can be to bathe in nostalgia when considering the years that have slipped into history. I talked about this recently when recording my new video course on journaling (HERE), and I also found nostalgia flooding over me like a tidal wave when trying out a new airport in MSFS2020.

    Today, I want to roll back the years, and offer the KerrSpective that MSFS2020 is an amazing way to re-live your personal history!

    I go back to the year 1988. I was a mere 30 years of age and a very enthusiastic church minister. I’d been trying to set up a congregation of our fellowship in Inverness, Scotland for a number of years, and was ready for a change. That change came when a church near Toronto hired me as their preacher, and my wife and I emigrated to Canada on July 1st of that year.

    Our new home was the city of Brampton, sitting just to the west of Toronto. Even in 1988, you could drive from the main mall in Brampton to the very heart of Toronto, and never leave the urban sprawl for a moment. It was a harsh change from the serenity of the Scottish highlands, but I fell in love with it almost instantly.

    Within a few weeks we were settling into our new life. I’d bought a car, set up my office at the church building, and we were looking for a house to rent. Of course, I’d spent tons of time already beside the fence at CYYZ (Pearson International) which was only a few miles away, but I’d also discovered the local hub of general aviation. This was the pretty little airfield of Brampton-Caledon (CNC3), and best of all it was five minutes from where we were living.

    About two months later, we were moved into our rented place near Heart Lake, I’d got a computer, and had purchased Microsoft Flight Simulator for the first time. It was version four, and it seemed amazing to me as I flew circuits from Meigs Field in those jerky, primitive graphics. And this brought back my appetite for real flying, so I popped over to CNC3, and signed up for lessons. As it turned out, I hated the instructor’s approach, and only did three flights from Brampton, but the memory of flying from that field is still as clear as a bell.

    Well, that is 32 years ago now. Yes, my late dad was right. Where have those years gone? So many changes. I have not been a minister since 1989, have changed my whole philosophy of life since then (more than once), and sometimes feel strange when I see “my dad” looking back at me from the mirror as I shave. Sometimes I think the only external thing that’s not changed is that I am still using Microsoft Flight Simulator! So today I’m going to give you an example of using it to “re-visit” the past.

    How many of you have already flown over places you lived at years ago? How many of you have found yourself re-living a time that is gone? And how many have shaken their heads when looking at the MSFS2020 scenery, and said “It looks familiar, but man has that place grown!” Heck, this is not a simulator (or game – depending on your bent), it is a memory-machine! A nostalgia-engendering, memory-producing, time-traveling device that defies age, location, and even circumstances. And so I have rolled back the years to CNC3 Brampton-Caledon Airport.

    Now available on the FlightSim.Com store, “CNC3 Brampton-Caledon Airport Pro for MSFS” has just been released as the first-ever commercial design by a new name to our industry, Roman Design. Why Roman? That’s the fellow’s first name, and he indeed lives and works (graphic and website design) in the Greater Toronto Area. He started out creating freeware to enhance the GTA a few months ago, and has already put out an improved photogrammetry of Toronto, an enhanced Niagara Falls, and a couple of airports. One of those airports is the “Light” freeware version of Brampton, and it is available to whet your appetite for his commercial version.

    I’m not going to go into every detail of the product, that’s not my intention here. Rather, I want to get across to you just how easily the years fell away when exploring both the airport and the area in MSFS2020. It was literally like being there again. Roman has done such an impressive job with CNC3 that he makes that very easy to experience.

    My nostalgia started right at the main access road into the airport. I have parked my car here and watched Cessnas taking off many times in the past. I know this place, and it feels like I am there again. Looking down the road, seeing the museum building to the right, noticing the angle of the runway in relation to the road, and then seeing the characteristic red-roofed hangars to the left, this is uncanny. I wonder how it will be when VR comes along?

    KerrSpective - Brampton Caledon Airport for MSFS 2020
    1. Access road

    Talking about The Great War Flying Museum, yes, the building is custom-made, even down to an RAF flag fluttering in the breeze, signage, and the picnic table out front. And on the “active” side of the building you’ll find three WW1-era biplanes for your inspection. Talk about adding detail and increasing immersion. For more info on the museum, click HERE.

    KerrSpective - Brampton Caledon Airport for MSFS 2020
    2. The Great War Flying Museum

    KerrSpective - Brampton Caledon Airport for MSFS 2020
    3. Biplanes


    8 Comments
    1. superstan's Avatar
      superstan -
      Wonderful, heart warming and evocative. Thank you.
    1. gippslandblanik1's Avatar
      gippslandblanik1 -
      Hi Kenneth, I started flying back in 1968 and your most excellent article really resonnated with my own experience. Recently I took a trip down memory lane in FSXSE/Orbx by reliving my Silver C distance glider flight in Multiplayer with a friend (sitting at his own PC many miles from my location) by flying from Waikerie SA to Renmark SA in a Granua Baby glider that I owned back in 1969. Flight Simulator can truely be a "magic time machine" for us older folks and it also enables us to fly airplanes that would otherwise be out of reach in the real world. Thank you for your quality contributions to the flight simming community. Best wishes, Max
    1. r7b's Avatar
      r7b -
      Hi Kenneth,
      Thank you for such a heart-warming review and an interesting story to come with it. I am happy that this airport brings joy to people! A week ago my CNC3 airport was also released in the MSFS in-game Marketplace. And just days ago I also released CYKZ Toronto Buttonville airport on my Roman Design website. It is also coming to FlightSim.com store, I already submitted. And to MSFS Marketplace some time later. Quite a detailed one, with two open hangars with interior modeling, parallax windows, two towers etc. I am now working on CYOW Ottawa International. This one is going to be epic.
    1. polygoon's Avatar
      polygoon -
      Hi Kenneth, Norm here, the one and only air goon...LOL.
      This review was absolutely brilliant! I reminisce a lot with Google Maps but it never occurred to me to do it in a flight sim!
      I have held back buying 2020 so far and let others pay for doing the beta testing, but after this heartwarming review the itch to finally get FS2020 gets a lot stronger. Especially now that I know that we have Roman to do the local scenery for the Greater Toronto Area. I have been both in Brampton (very warm memories but never flown there) and actually flown in Buttonville, which back then was an utterly chaotic experience (I would book flights and when I arrived, they had nothing in the books, which used to be a very common occurrence). I felt like I always fell through the cracks there. Then I decided to move, checked out Brampton and the way the welcomed me there was incredible, The guy showed me around in side the building, on the airfield and everywhere else, it was like becoming part of the family! I don't remember why but I finally stuck with Toronto City Center, that was the time you and I met. They were quite nice too there. And I think I decided in favour of CYTZ because of the tower and the denser air traffic, which would be good experience for a novice. When I returned from my cross-country solo, I was told by the staff that my friend had just been there half an hour ago (which was you, as you were taking some pictures and some flight videos for our Katana CD!). That was already more than 20 years ago! As your dad kept saying...LOL
      Take care my friend!
    1. KennethKerr's Avatar
      KennethKerr -
      Quote Originally Posted by superstan View Post
      Wonderful, heart warming and evocative. Thank you.
      Sorry for taking so long to respond. I appreciate your comment, and also the fact that you found my article enjoyable.

      Best Regards
      Kenneth
    1. KennethKerr's Avatar
      KennethKerr -
      Quote Originally Posted by gippslandblanik1 View Post
      Hi Kenneth, I started flying back in 1968 and your most excellent article really resonnated with my own experience. Recently I took a trip down memory lane in FSXSE/Orbx by reliving my Silver C distance glider flight in Multiplayer with a friend (sitting at his own PC many miles from my location) by flying from Waikerie SA to Renmark SA in a Granua Baby glider that I owned back in 1969. Flight Simulator can truely be a "magic time machine" for us older folks and it also enables us to fly airplanes that would otherwise be out of reach in the real world. Thank you for your quality contributions to the flight simming community. Best wishes, Max
      Hello Max.

      Sorry for taking a while to reply. It really is fun to relive history in this way. I am happy you found the same experience as I. Although my article was in msfs2020, the nostalgia can indeed be experienced in earlier sims. For example, my very first flight was in the Air Cadets in Chipmunk WK591, from RAF Newton, in 1971. This cannot be replicated yet in the new sim, but I can re-live it in P3d courtesy of Just Flight, and ORBX True Earth. In fact, now that I have reminded myself of that fact, it might just be my flight for this evening!

      Best Regards
      Kenneth
    1. KennethKerr's Avatar
      KennethKerr -
      Quote Originally Posted by r7b View Post
      Hi Kenneth,
      Thank you for such a heart-warming review and an interesting story to come with it. I am happy that this airport brings joy to people! A week ago my CNC3 airport was also released in the MSFS in-game Marketplace. And just days ago I also released CYKZ Toronto Buttonville airport on my Roman Design website. It is also coming to FlightSim.com store, I already submitted. And to MSFS Marketplace some time later. Quite a detailed one, with two open hangars with interior modeling, parallax windows, two towers etc. I am now working on CYOW Ottawa International. This one is going to be epic.
      Hello Roman

      Many thanks for your response, and congratulations on producing such a fine work as your Brampton. I encourage you to keep on keeping on in this new venture of yours. And please, don't forget to give Burlington Airpark your magic touch. I know you have the freeware photogrammetry version, but I just imagine what you could now do with your greater experience in custom design since then.

      Best Regards
      Kenneth
    1. KennethKerr's Avatar
      KennethKerr -
      Quote Originally Posted by polygoon View Post
      Hi Kenneth, Norm here, the one and only air goon...LOL.
      This review was absolutely brilliant! I reminisce a lot with Google Maps but it never occurred to me to do it in a flight sim!
      I have held back buying 2020 so far and let others pay for doing the beta testing, but after this heartwarming review the itch to finally get FS2020 gets a lot stronger. Especially now that I know that we have Roman to do the local scenery for the Greater Toronto Area. I have been both in Brampton (very warm memories but never flown there) and actually flown in Buttonville, which back then was an utterly chaotic experience (I would book flights and when I arrived, they had nothing in the books, which used to be a very common occurrence). I felt like I always fell through the cracks there. Then I decided to move, checked out Brampton and the way the welcomed me there was incredible, The guy showed me around in side the building, on the airfield and everywhere else, it was like becoming part of the family! I don't remember why but I finally stuck with Toronto City Center, that was the time you and I met. They were quite nice too there. And I think I decided in favour of CYTZ because of the tower and the denser air traffic, which would be good experience for a novice. When I returned from my cross-country solo, I was told by the staff that my friend had just been there half an hour ago (which was you, as you were taking some pictures and some flight videos for our Katana CD!). That was already more than 20 years ago! As your dad kept saying...LOL
      Take care my friend!
      Hello Norman.

      20 years since our Katana CD? - Oh my goodness. Yes, I remember how your instructors were quite perplexed when I said I wanted to fly one circuit because the time-limited video would not be edited.

      I would recommend msfs, but somewhat guardedly. It is like waiting all your life to buy the car of your dreams, only to find it keeps ending up in the shop. When it is working, it is a pleasure to use, and far exceeds past sims. BUT, every time they have issued a patch, they have broken something important, and as a result a bit more of the immersion goes out the window each time. Some will say "Relax, these are teething problems". But for me it is the reminder I have paid to be part of a beta program, and that does not sit well with me.

      I dislike the "Russian Roulette" experience. Sometimes wishing I had waited for a year before trying this thing out. But, the times of pleasure have exceeded the frustration, only because I lowered my expectations with every new patch!

      Hopefully, now that they are going to patch once a month instead of every two weeks, they will address this "spiral dive" they have been in for a while.

      You will probably love msfs, even now. BUT go in with your eyes open knowing it is a beta. Don't go in on the blind faith that I had on August 18th, wowed by their development videos and expecting a polished product.

      Stay in touch.

      Your buddy Kenneth
  • Recent Forum Activity

    JSMR

    CS C-130 Windows 10 compatible?

    Thread Starter: JSMR

    I've read somewhere that it isn't but I was wondering if anyone had any issues installing it to FS9 with Windows 10?

    Last Post By: defaid Today, 08:46 AM Go to last post
    pipercv

    Blank G1000 screens

    Thread Starter: pipercv

    I am looking for some assistance in figuring out why the G1000 screens have gone blank. Before Christmas they worked fine, now nothing; neither the...

    Last Post By: bthinn Today, 07:39 AM Go to last post
    David Kotick

    Looking for someone to help with MSFS 2020

    Thread Starter: David Kotick

    Hello: I am looking for an experienced user to give a few private tutorials with the new MSFS 2020. Help using the controls and a few tips. I can...

    Last Post By: KiloWatt Today, 07:33 AM Go to last post
    Herc79

    what vintage/classic aircraft are planned for FS2020 ?

    Thread Starter: Herc79

    I don't mind the new stuff, some is quite nice... but for me, there was flight before glass cockpits. There were piston powered airliners by Lockheed...

    Last Post By: rooitou Today, 04:53 AM Go to last post