• Review: Carenado - H25B H850XP II HD Series

    H25B H850XP II HD Series

    Publisher: Carenado

    Review Author:
    Justin Cogo

    Suggested Price:
    $49.95

    Buy Here

    Carenado H25B

    Carenado's newest aircraft is very close to a masterpiece and comes with everything for you to have a great flying experience from VFR flying to jet setting to IFR flying! Known for its top-quality propeller aircraft, Carenado has recently gotten into the jet aircraft business and the H850XP is the newest one for FSX and P3D!

    The Hawker Beechcraft 850XP, the current version in this line of Hawker aircraft, is very popular because of its speed, range, avionics and cabin space. The features of the Hawker are as follows (as described on Aerosoft and Carenado web sites):

    • ProLine21 avionics system featuring:
      • Two navigation modes: VNAV and NAV
      • Weather radar screen , Terrain radar, Traffic radar
      • Situation awareness
      • Multi Function Display (MFD)
      • Flight Guidance Panel (FGP)
      • Display Control Panel (DCP)
      • Control Display Unit (CDU)
      • Flight Plan Creation & Flight Management System (FMS)
    • Upgradable Navigraph database (AIRAC cycle 1310 (October 2013) included)
      • Load a departure procedure (SID)
      • Load an arrival (STAR)
      • Load an approach (RNAV, ILS, VOR, etc.)
    • HD quality textures (4096 x 4096)
    • 3D knobs technology for better manipulation of elements in VC
    • Real Auxiliary Power Unit (APU) simulation feature
    • Original HQ digital 3D stereo sounds
    • Independent lighting systems for internal lights
    • Complete back cabin
    • Customizable panel for controlling windows transparency, instrument reflections and static elements such as wheel chocks
    • Real behavior compared to the real airplane
    • Real weight and balance
    • Tested by real pilots
    • Wing special effects: Flexing wing effect (wingflex) and vibration wing effects on taxi
    • Special wind drag effect
    • Improved lighting systems (interior and exterior)
    • Multiple real aural warning sounds
    • Full FSX and P3D v2.0 compatible
    • Checklists, reference materials, emergency procedure documentation
    • 7 HD liveries
    • 1 HD blank livery
    • 1 complete model (including back cabin with HD textures)
    • 1 LITE model without the back cabin for better FPS


    Video by Jack's FSX Videos


    25 Comments
    1. lilratty's Avatar
      lilratty -
      The nav data base is useless if you use the Aerosoft NavDataPro updater, as I do. The aircraft itself is fine though.
    1. goodpaster's Avatar
      goodpaster -
      Excellent review. However, I find it odd that Justin did not run into the low fps that many have been plagued with. I have an i7 4770K OCed to 4.3 Ghz and the H850XP runs about 50% less frames then the Flight1 B200 (another known fps heavy product.) Unfortunately this drops my normal locked 30 fps to unusable low teens and even single digit fps.

      Beautiful airplane, but utterly worthless if it can only sit on the tarmack.
    1. jbob101's Avatar
      jbob101 -
      Quote Originally Posted by lilratty View Post
      The nav data base is useless if you use the Aerosoft NavDataPro updater, as I do. The aircraft itself is fine though.
      I think you should really try to use the Navigraph data (https://www.navigraph.com). I've used it for years on many products and it has worked well. It says it works on all Carenado products so I would give it a try! I'm going to get the new Navigraph data right now actually because I haven't got any new Nav data for any of my planes in quite some time. I'll try it on the H850XP and see how it works but I assume it'll work just fine because it says it works with all Carenado products. Good luck!
    1. jbob101's Avatar
      jbob101 -
      Quote Originally Posted by goodpaster View Post
      Excellent review. However, I find it odd that Justin did not run into the low fps that many have been plagued with. I have an i7 4770K OCed to 4.3 Ghz and the H850XP runs about 50% less frames then the Flight1 B200 (another known fps heavy product.) Unfortunately this drops my normal locked 30 fps to unusable low teens and even single digit fps.

      Beautiful airplane, but utterly worthless if it can only sit on the tarmack.
      I wish you had better frame rates. I got average to good frame rates with this and I wasn't really surprised because almost all jets that are fully featured (cabin, full cockpit avionics, extras) seem to be heavy on the fps. I just think its how it is now if you get high quality airplanes. This does perform better for me than the Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319 for example. I do turn my FS settings down slightly for better performance too, especially if I'm flying into detailed airports like London and such, but I still get good fps (not the 30's though!).
    1. dosburger's Avatar
      dosburger -
      I flew a real Hawker 800. I have the model and I find it has a lot to be desired as far as the avionics. The aircraft I have flown had the Collins FMS. I can not figure how to get much of anything working on the Proline 21. I will admit it has been about 15 years since I last flew the real one
      I could use some help to figure it out. Thanks
      Piper
    1. jbob101's Avatar
      jbob101 -
      Sure I wouldn't mind helping as much as I can!

      First, have you read any of the manuals for the Hawker? There are separate manuals for different parts of the airplane in the airplane folder within the FSX Folder (Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Carenado). There is a specific manual for the Proline 21 avionics system and another manual for the Flight Guidance System (both spelled that way as PDF files). Have you looked at these manuals? Also have you played with the Hawker's FMS in Flight Simulator yet?
    1. Tom99614's Avatar
      Tom99614 -
      I was really hoping to be able to fly this bird as it seemed so nice like all the other Carenado products I have. I have 31 Carenado products including this Hawker 850XP, and this is the first time I've ever had any problem with a Carenado product.

      My problem seems to be similiar to what a lot of other people are having as well... the problem being that even though having a 4.7GHz i7-6700K processor, I can only achieve an average of about 7.4 fps. I guess it has something to do with the CARPROLINE21 CAB archive. If I remove that file from the gauges folder, I get 40 fps (locked), but no gauges. I could turn the battery off in the cockpit and get great frame rates, but won't have use of any electronics.

      Turning down a lot of other settings will not help at all either. I still get less than 10 fps, sometimes down to 2 fps. FPS in the middle of the Pacific Ocean yields the same frame rates as ORBX FTX Pacific Northwest at KSEA with every slider at max OR minimum.
    1. dosburger's Avatar
      dosburger -
      Quote Originally Posted by jbob101 View Post
      Sure I wouldn't mind helping as much as I can!

      First, have you read any of the manuals for the Hawker? There are separate manuals for different parts of the airplane in the airplane folder within the FSX Folder (Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Carenado). There is a specific manual for the Proline 21 avionics system and another manual for the Flight Guidance System (both spelled that way as PDF files). Have you looked at these manuals? Also have you played with the Hawker's FMS in Flight Simulator yet?
      I have read the manuals that are PDF files. I haven 't been able to change the course selector. I also tried to adjust the vertical speed selector and tried to select climb and as I do it keeps giving me a negative vertical speed. No sure of the problem with that.
      Thanks a lot for your offer of help
    1. kingnorris's Avatar
      kingnorris -
      I always keep my sim at unlimited FPS. I don't lock it, and I enjoy good performance. As for this bird, I've been tempted to pick it up, but it seems pricey to me.
    1. jbob101's Avatar
      jbob101 -
      Quote Originally Posted by dosburger View Post
      I have read the manuals that are PDF files. I haven 't been able to change the course selector. I also tried to adjust the vertical speed selector and tried to select climb and as I do it keeps giving me a negative vertical speed. No sure of the problem with that.
      Thanks a lot for your offer of help
      Ok I tried working with the course selection. It looks like it you can adjust the course only when the 'Data' selection switch (the center rotary knob located above the MFD/PFD) is selected to a VOR or LOC. So if you select an active VOR or LOC (it will display the VOR/LOC's information to the left of the map in green if it is active), then you can use the Course Selector Knob (CRS) to change the course, this worked for me!

      As for the vertical speed / climb selections here's how I got it to work. First turn on the autopilot, then select what function you want to engage. Once you press that function's button (for instance vertical speed or altitude hold) you then can use the rotary knobs to adjust the desired selection. So for instance if you want to just put the airplane in a 1000 fpm climb, you engage the autopilot (AP), select VS, and use the vertical vertical speed selection knob to enter the desired vertical speed It will show the selected vertical speed on the display (a number indicating vs and an arrow indicating climb or descent). The airplane will fly this vertical speed as you're manipulating the knob. If you want the autopilot to put the airplane at a desired altitude, engage the autopilot (AP), press ALT, and use the rotary knob next to that button to enter the desired altitude. Once you've press the desired autopilot function the airplane will begin to fly it so be aware, you'll need to adjust the desired input right away because the autopilot will fly the airplane either straight and level or at wherever you're manipulating the knobs to. This worked for me!
    1. jbob101's Avatar
      jbob101 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Tom99614 View Post
      I was really hoping to be able to fly this bird as it seemed so nice like all the other Carenado products I have. I have 31 Carenado products including this Hawker 850XP, and this is the first time I've ever had any problem with a Carenado product.

      My problem seems to be similar to what a lot of other people are having as well... the problem being that even though having a 4.7GHz i7-6700K processor, I can only achieve an average of about 7.4 fps. I guess it has something to do with the CARPROLINE21 CAB archive. If I remove that file from the gauges folder, I get 40 fps (locked), but no gauges. I could turn the battery off in the cockpit and get great frame rates, but won't have use of any electronics.

      Turning down a lot of other settings will not help at all either. I still get less than 10 fps, sometimes down to 2 fps. FPS in the middle of the Pacific Ocean yields the same frame rates as ORBX FTX Pacific Northwest at KSEA with every slider at max OR minimum.
      You know it sounds like a technical glitch, not a problem with you're computer's ability to handle highly-detailed software. It runs good for me an a lot of others, but I'm seeing that there is this technical glitch with certain computer hardware/software. There is someone who has an I7 and it runs fine for them. I'm wondering if it's your video card or your RAM or your operating system. What are your specs? If you have the parts you might try swapping out different parts. Also I might try looking around the internet and Carenado's website because I am seeing this problem! Sorry!
    1. snoman909's Avatar
      snoman909 -
      what a screaming looking jet, looking forward to flying it. I hope someone will do a dassault falcon 900
    1. jbob101's Avatar
      jbob101 -
      Quote Originally Posted by snoman909 View Post
      what a screaming looking jet, looking forward to flying it. I hope someone will do a dassault falcon 900


      it is easy to fly and offers some nice 'jet features' so you can keep busy with complexity if you want. You can also fit it into some smaller airports so you can make some nice small hops!
    1. snoman909's Avatar
      snoman909 -
      Thank you for the excellent review, I've not had frame rate problems yet from all the demanding add ons im kinda curious if this one will be my first . again thank you
    1. jbob101's Avatar
      jbob101 -
      Quote Originally Posted by snoman909 View Post
      Thank you for the excellent review, I've not had frame rate problems yet from all the demanding add ons im kinda curious if this one will be my first . again thank you
      My computer is fast (Quad-Core...decent video card..etc), but it's not high-end. Every add-on I have I can fly with good to great frame rates, of course if you have too many addons on at one time then yes your machine will bog down. I've never had a problem with any single add-on bogging down my system yet and this Hawker hasn't. It has better performance, let say, than the Airbus A318/A319 most recently released. I think you will be fine if you have good performance with other recent add-ons. Good luck!
    1. Tom99614's Avatar
      Tom99614 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jbob101 View Post
      You know it sounds like a technical glitch, not a problem with you're computer's ability to handle highly-detailed software. It runs good for me an a lot of others, but I'm seeing that there is this technical glitch with certain computer hardware/software. There is someone who has an I7 and it runs fine for them. I'm wondering if it's your video card or your RAM or your operating system. What are your specs? If you have the parts you might try swapping out different parts. Also I might try looking around the internet and Carenado's website because I am seeing this problem! Sorry!
      Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      i7-6700K
      8GB 2666 DDR4
      ZOTAC GTX 970 4GB

      Those are my specs,
      It most likely has something to do with my OS (Windows 10 Home 64-bit), my GTX 970 has the latest drivers as well. I tried the 850XP on my older Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit pc and it runs very smooth, about 30 fps locked. I'm just going to use the Hawker 850 on my older pc until there's a fix from Carenado for whatever's ailing this bird on my newer pc.
    1. jbob101's Avatar
      jbob101 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Tom99614 View Post
      Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      i7-6700K
      8GB 2666 DDR4
      ZOTAC GTX 970 4GB

      Those are my specs,
      It most likely has something to do with my OS (Windows 10 Home 64-bit), my GTX 970 has the latest drivers as well. I tried the 850XP on my older Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit pc and it runs very smooth, about 30 fps locked. I'm just going to use the Hawker 850 on my older pc until there's a fix from Carenado for whatever's ailing this bird on my newer pc.
      I would try one thing. Carenado suggests to uncheck 'High Resolution 3D cockpits' if you're having low frame rates. You might also try running FSX in Windows 7 or 8 compatibility mode. I also noticed it says on the 850XP's website that it supports Windows XP, 7 , etc so maybe it doesn't run on Windows 10 yet or there is a Windows 10 fix on the way?
    1. jbob101's Avatar
      jbob101 -
      Quote Originally Posted by kingnorris View Post
      I always keep my sim at unlimited FPS. I don't lock it, and I enjoy good performance. As for this bird, I've been tempted to pick it up, but it seems pricey to me.
      Well it runs great, comes with complete avionics, aircraft systems and a few extras that are nice so I'd say it's worth it ;-).
    1. kingnorris's Avatar
      kingnorris -
      Quote Originally Posted by jbob101 View Post
      Well it runs great, comes with complete avionics, aircraft systems and a few extras that are nice so I'd say it's worth it ;-).
      I just bought it two days ago. Have yet to figure out why the altitude won't hold. It's more complex of an aircraft than I thought it'd be. I haven't even delved into filing a flight plan and programming the FMC yet....
    1. jbob101's Avatar
      jbob101 -
      Quote Originally Posted by kingnorris View Post
      I just bought it two days ago. Have yet to figure out why the altitude won't hold. It's more complex of an aircraft than I thought it'd be. I haven't even delved into filing a flight plan and programming the FMC yet....
      The autopilot is slightly different than, let's say, a Boeing autpilot. To engage altitude hold, you will turn the autopilot on, select VS button if you want a certain vertical speed maintained, or if you want a certain altitude maintained you'll select the ALT button. After you've selected which autpilot function you want then you go and enter the desired v/s or altitude using the vs/pitch wheel or the altitude selector knob. The trick here, which is different than a Boeing autopilot, is that you have to select the engage the autopilot function first then enter the desired amount (vertical speed or altitude) after that mode is engaged. You'll have trouble if you try entering the vertical speed or altitude first then trying to engage that autopilot function. Just play around with it because it all works well :-).
  • Recent Forum Activity

    jamesjsmith

    PMDG 777 rapid descent

    Thread Starter: jamesjsmith

    Hi, I have a descent problem with the pmdg 777 if my nose is pointed slightly up enough to level off then it is descending at 3300 feet a minute...

    Last Post By: davidjones Today, 06:44 AM Go to last post
    NMLW

    RTW Retro Flight #81 RAF Muharraq, Bahrain to Cairo . . . . . 1961

    Thread Starter: NMLW

    Airwork Ltd. London flight 196 is a HP-81 Hermes on a flight from RAF Muharraq, Bahrain to Cairo (OBBI - HECA). We have 3,000 gallons of fuel on...

    Last Post By: Allen Craig Today, 05:40 AM Go to last post
    usb777

    Realism Settings

    Thread Starter: usb777

    Just curious as to what everyone's favorite Realism Settings are as in the General, P-factor, Torque,Gyro and Crash tolerance slider positions. For...

    Last Post By: keefpee Today, 03:07 AM Go to last post
    mverlin

    Heading Instabilty

    Thread Starter: mverlin

    I'm experiencing repetitive unexpected shifts in compass and GPS headings. The only method I'm using is to set the the HSI and autopilot set to...

    Last Post By: hovercrafter Today, 02:24 AM Go to last post
    blanston12

    Around the world in 175 days.

    Thread Starter: blanston12

    I have recently been inspired by a virtual around the world by Peter McLeland that he had been posting on the CBFS forum. I began to think about...

    Last Post By: blanston12 Today, 01:49 AM Go to last post