FSX Aircraft Config File - Multiple [fltsim.n] where n=0,1,2, .. - Making a change

Murf Oscar

Looking at the aircraft.cfg file for the A321 in FSX noticed multiple [fltsim.n] blocks each featuring different airline names and callsigns.

The present display details are listed under [fltsim.0]. Other display details are listed under [fltsim.1], and [fltsim.2].

My presumption is that display zero is the default and that I can bring up either of the others by simply swapping the numeric values of the one I want with that being displaced. But do I also have to bring the new zero block to the top of the lists?

Or perhaps there is another easier way?

Thank you.

A321 Cfg.txt

The reason you have different (fltsim.x) 'blocks' is the TEXTURE will be different (ie: different 'paint'). They will all show up in you selection screen. No need to edit anything.

If you don't WANT to 'see' a paint, simply 'comment out' the whole 'block' with '//' in front of all the lines under that particular (fltsim.x) 'block'. If you only want to 'see' the (fltsim.3) 'paint' then comment out the ones you don't want (this leaves it there for future use) and just rename the (fltsim.3) to (fltsim.0). So no need to delete anything and this is the 'safe' way to make change(s). Then you do a 'SAVE' (not 'SAVE AS') and say 'ok' to overwrite.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Am only getting single displays of all aircraft on FXS. In light of your comment have no explanation for this.

Experimented making a change to an FSX aircraft file, but when complete was denied access when saving the amended file. Snip attached.

Is the correct procedure to delete the old file before "Saving as" the new version?

Thank you.

Snip Access Denied.JPG

To display all installed textures/liveries in the Select Aircraft screen you must tick the Show all Variations box located at the bottom of the viewing pane (to the left of the big Details button).

Your access problem is caused by the lack of User Permissions under windows. Any program installed under the Program Files or Program Files (x86) folders are strictly controlled by the User Account Control which is designed to prevent unauthorised changes being made to your computer by malware/viruses etc. Your options are:

1. Try turning UAC off - either permanently or temporarily to make the changes to the file. Note that by turning UAC off you may be leaving your computer vulnerable. Google for info on what UAC does to get an idea of the pros and cons of leaving it off.

2. Change your user account from a standard user account to an Admin account. Note that you can change 'up' but can't change back 'down' to standard user. Again, there is a risk of using an admin level account

3. Install FSX to a location outside of the Program folder (into C:\FSX for example).

If I was in your position I would go for option 3.

Regards

Brian

Personally, I utilize all 3 options. I turn my UAC off, as it's a PITA for me, I always run as ADMIN, because I want the control and power (MUAHAHAH!!!), and I never put FSX in the default location. I put it over on D: drive. Same for FS9.

It woeks for me, anyway. I also tend to run programs as ADMIN, again, it gives me the control and abilities I desire. Things like Notepad, XMLEditor, etc etc.

Bye the bye, you can also use the [fltsim.n] sections of the aircraft.cfg file to do things like use different panels, different sounds, different .air files, and so on. The only requirements, aside from the [fltsim.n] number, are that the Title=, one of the lines I just listed, like panel= or whatever, and the variation= lines must be unique to each particular difference.

Say you want to utilize a different panel for a particular plane. You would have

[fltsim.5]

title=A380 new panel

sim=A380

sound=

panel=new

Manufacturer=Original

Type=A380

Variation=New panel

etc

etc

Please note, all of the above entries following the "=" signs are for illustration purposes and do NOT represent the entries in any real, extant aircraft.cfg file.

The above is also a very abbreviated [fltsim.n] section, merely to illustrate the differences needed for each indivdual difference.

The easiest way, for me anyway, when doing such things, is to copy the [fltsim.0] segment of the aircraft.cfg to the bottom of the entire sequence of segments, them make the changes needed to the various lines to make for a unique entry.

And ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS!!!!!

make a back-up BEFORE you start editing ANY file!!!!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived