Which Combination is Better?

LTCSZ

OK: generally speaking, which of these combinations would be the best for FSX:

i5 with 16gb memory

i7 with 8gb memory

I know there are hundreds of variables. but, which is better: stronger processor or more memory?

Thanks a lot...

You'll be much better off with the faster CPU. Memory plays very little role in FSX performance - as long as you have enough of it. 8 GB is fine. That will give you a full 4 GB of VAS for FSX (assuming a 64-bit OS) and 4 GB more for the OS and everything else.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

You'll be much better off with the faster CPU. Memory plays very little role in FSX performance - as long as you have enough of it. 8 GB is fine. That will give you a full 4 GB of VAS for FSX (assuming a 64-bit OS) and 4 GB more for the OS and everything else.

Doug

+1

For FSX - CPU processor speed makes the most difference - especially with the more detailed/complex addons in order to keep playable frame rates and smoothness in performance.

Good Luck!

E-Buzz :pilot:

i5 4690k @ 4.7gHz (Water-cooled), 8GB ram, GTX 960 2GB, 850 EVO 1 TB SSD, 50" LED TV + 2x27" monitors, Thrustmaster HOTAS, Win 8.1 Pro, P3DV4, TrackIR, EZDOK, a bunch of Orbx stuff, a chair, a hacked-up desk, and a cold drink.

OK: generally speaking, which of these combinations would be the best for FSX:

i5 with 16gb memory

i7 with 8gb memory

I know there are hundreds of variables. but, which is better: stronger processor or more memory?

Thanks a lot...

Faster CPU native clock speed is best when running FSX! You didn't mention what the clock speed of either the i5 or the i7 was. For FSX use either of these designs works fine. I suggest you buy the fastest native clock speed Intel CPU you can afford.

And as has already been said, 8gig of ram is more than you'll need for FSX. Save the cost of the extra 8 gig of ram and buy a faster CPU.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Archived