Critical Landing Problem when applying brakes: Plane skids off?

tncmdream

Hello all, I have a landing problem on PREPAR3D and hope you can be of assistance.

As cited in the title, as soon as i touchdown in the center of the runway, whichever the aircraft, when applying the BRAKES the plane does not stay in the center and starts skidding left or right rather than staying on the runway.

What am I doing wrong? What is the fix?

I use the Saitek Cessna Yoke + Throttle.

Kindly note that I have set auto rudder to OFF; and use one of the Yoke's buttons for left/right rudder movements.

Thanks!

what you need is practice. You must apply the brakes evenly or you will pull left or right. Since you are using a button you just have to alternate rapidly until you get the hang of it. Even with rudder pedals it can take some getting used to.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Dear Sir,

My sincere thanks for your response!

I understand however what do you mean by evenly? Presently, my key assigned for BRAKES is the circle red button at the back of the yoke. As soon as I touchdown, i press that button and the plane starts skidding off away from the runway's centerline. I am not sure what you mean by alternating rapidly. Do you mean there are 2 different brake keys I should assign?

Many thanks again,

TNCM dream.

I suggest also that you keep your controller always calibrated as best you can plus on final there is lots going on and make sure everything is straight before touchdown like the wheels/rudder all lined up straight...at least then the plane lands without anything crooked turned the wrong way...al v

You have to control the aircraft not let the a/c control you. When you land, even without using the brakes there are many natural factors that could cause the a/c to swerve. Your job is to use the rudders to keep the a/c straight while applying the brakes slowly - as Mark said - tap-tap-tap BUT you still have to maintain control with the rudders.

It takes practice.

Double check your brake assignment - be sure it is not assigned to one brake or the other.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

One thing to keep in mind is that you may have it set to apply differential braking when brakes are applied. With single button braking, it uses rudder input to decide which brake(s) to apply, that is, left or right. So perhaps you have a little rudder applied when your touch the brakes.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I had exactly the same problem, the plane handles fine until you try to stop on the runway and then it acts like you're trying to control an ICBM with a roller skate duct taped to the front of it using shoelaces for reins :) . Everyone is complaining about controllers in P3D, disable the joystick in P3D (Ctrl+k) then set up your axis assignments through FSUIPC. Sorry I think you need the paid version of FSUIPC for that. I did it and it completely cured the problem for me, no more swapping ends on the runway. (I really didn't think I was that bad of a pilot, lol)

There's a youtube video by Froogle that shows how to do this.

I had exactly the same problem, the plane handles fine until you try to stop on the runway and then it acts like you're trying to control an ICBM with a roller skate duct taped to the front of it using shoelaces for reins :) . Everyone is complaining about controllers in P3D, disable the joystick in P3D (Ctrl+k) then set up your axis assignments through FSUIPC. Sorry I think you need the paid version of FSUIPC for that. I did it and it completely cured the problem for me, no more swapping ends on the runway. (I really didn't think I was that bad of a pilot, lol)

There's a youtube video by Froogle that shows how to do this.

Been flying sims since 1986 and never had that problem with any aircraft in a sim. Very strange. Why on earth would you have to have a paid version of FSUIPC to control and aircraft?

Been flying sims since 1986 and never had that problem with any aircraft in a sim. Very strange. Why on earth would you have to have a paid version of FSUIPC to control and aircraft?

You don't NEED FSUIPC to control the aircraft. However, it allows for much better, and more accurate, calibration.

Been flying sims longer than that, and never found another ubiquitous tool that allows for scalable calibration, multiple assignments on a per-aircraft basis, extended functionality and a troubleshooting log file that can be used to find out if the problem is with the user, or his equipment.

What do YOU use that does ALL those things, just as a starting point?

You don't need it to control an aircraft, on earth or in the air. But it does such a superior job compared to EVERYTHING else - even product-supplied mapping software, why on earth would you NOT want this on your side?

I've had a paid version of FSUIPC for 10 years now so it makes no difference to me. I suppose you have a problem with Pete Dowson too?

You seem to have trouble understanding what you are reading. I will say it again and try and grasp it this time. If you buy a simulator , and want to control the aircraft with the settings in that sim, why would a person "need" to purchase FSUIPC in order to do that. I have the paid Version of FSUIPC, but did not "have" to have it to control aircraft I have prior to getting it at any point in time... You got it his time, or maybe you were just looking for any opening to make one of your snarky remarks?

Now, now boys - let's remember the written word is always open to interpretation. FWIW, in this case, I read it as Bobsk8 intended. And I actually agree. I use FSUIPC now to control everything because I love the accuracy or calibration and specifically the profiles but when I was flying FSX I could never understand the complaints about trying to land the F/A18 cuz it wobbled all over the runway. I never had the problem.

The ONE BIG problem with FSX ground handling was it's extreme reaction to wind once the wheels touched the ground. TMK Aces never got around to fixing that but I know the LM did n P3D.

Vic

P3D Rig

You seem to have trouble understanding what you are reading

What I have trouble understanding is why you can't just be content to enjoy your sim of choice and you 2-3 hours of VA flights every day without sticking your nose into every v3 thread trying to influence people to boycott it. I have absolutely no idea what the motivation is, I have no idea what your issue is with LM or v3 is and I couldn't care less, I don't want to hear it because you have no first hand experience with v3.

The difference between me and you is that I've not said one negative word about your sim of choice and you've been dogging on everyone here and at Avsim to see things your way since a week before v3 was released. ...and not just once or twice - every GD v3 thread has to be cluttered up with your negative sh*t.

I'm done with it, I want to be able to discuss my new sim with other people that're also using it without some jackass interjecting their disapproval into every thread. This is the extent of my politeness, beyond this the gloves are off so don't push it.

Archived