Aircrafts textures disappearing leading to FS not responding

ital

Hi,

Whenever I taxi around at KLAX during night, the textures of the buildings, terminals, AI aircrafts and my aircraft disappear. The textures are all blank grey. The global earth (ctrl + s then zoom out) is all blue. Then flight sim is not responding either going back to the menu or exiting fs. What is causing that to happen? So far it's been happening every time I'm at KLAX either for takeoff or landing during night. It's weird why it is doing that, other major airport with more traffic and sceneries are not doing such thing.

I'm using World of AI traffic and other sort of AI aircrafts. AFCAD. Traffic is at 100%.

Win7

i7-3770 @ 3.4Ghz

16GB RAM DDR3 1600Mhz

Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB

I haven't been running FS often but now. My pc is some 2.5 years old.

Never use 100% traffic. At this level your getting duplication of aircraft in parking bays (ie 2 planes in one space) which causes major issues for the games engine.

Plus with WoAI flight plans, this can cause major problems with flights and AI getting "stuck" on runways/taxi ways etc due to excessive numbers. Which will lead to the game running out of memory and crashing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well that is very sad to know :( I'm an AI enthusiast. I love airports and skies full of planes. I spent about 8 months organizing my traffic and now issues are starting before I even begin the passion of flight sim. I thought my pc could handle easily all that as I bought it for this kind of performances. Maybe I needed more, I don't know lol.

Anyways, I'll try tweaking the settings and see what can work out. And what % traffic could be suggested?

Allright I got some good and bad.

Ok, I tried unchecking and lowering stuffs around in the hardware display but none worked so then I lowered the resolution from 1920x1080x32 to 1024x768x32 and everything seems fine now.

I also lowered mip mapping from 8 to 4 and it feels good to see the textures not kinda overtexturing or something anymore. I kept traffic at 100%, I know how to fix the traffic when they get stuck in taxiways, it requires the airport to have unrealistic taxiways, sad but true, all my afcads are done that way to prevent it along with much less go arounds.

But the bad thing now is that with 1024x768 I have the black bars again, is it possible to get rid of them using that resolution?

Also, my gauges are flickering in either resolutions, gps window, primary flight display and so on, time to time they flicker a lot, is it from my screen or else?

And hardware rendered lights, this setting that I've been wondering what it actually does. I haven't seen any changes from low to high.

@henrystreet : will it work with FS2004 as well? In which file should it be included?

Good, at least you know now the texture files are ok.

My suggestion for zero traffic was for testing. To see if that was causing it. Not meant as a permanent solution.

But 100% traffic is a heavy load. If you reduce that a bit you can probably run fsx at the resolution you want. Choices...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok, I tried unchecking and lowering stuffs around in the hardware display but none worked so then I lowered the resolution from 1920x1080x32 to 1024x768x32 and everything seems fine now.

Makes me wonder if you're not running out of VRAM. What does GPU-Z say?

Cheers!

Luke

lol what the hell is VRAM and GPU-Z? Sorry I'm really unfamiliar with hardware stuffs.

So far, I reduced to 1024x768 and target frame rate to 55 fps. Set mip mapping from 8 to 4. Just those black bars are annoying and I wonder if I can use that same resolution into a 16:9 without problems and to get rid of the flickering gauges.

lol what the hell is VRAM and GPU-Z? Sorry I'm really unfamiliar with hardware stuffs.

So far, I reduced to 1024x768 and target frame rate to 55 fps. Set mip mapping from 8 to 4. Just those black bars are annoying and I wonder if I can use that same resolution into a 16:9 without problems and to get rid of the flickering gauges.

It should be giving you several resolution options, depending on what your display

supports. Should be several 16:9 or so aspect options.. Like 1280x720, etc.

I have quite a few that are appx 16:9 with 1920x1080 being the highest with my rig.

On mine, 1600x900 is pretty good to get fairly close to 1080p visually, but with a

bit less load. Also have some lower.. 1360, 1400, etc..

Black bars are due to your screen. You need to use the screens adjustment buttons on the bezel to move the display out to the correct screen size.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Black bars are caused by running FS at a lower screen resolution than the monitor is set to.

The monitor should be set to run at its native resolution.

FS should be set to then run at this same resolution.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Black bars are caused by running FS at a lower screen resolution than the monitor is set to.

The monitor should be set to run at its native resolution.

FS should be set to then run at this same resolution.

Not really the res.. It's the aspect ratio being off. He's trying to run a 4:3

video mode on a 16:9 display. There are no problems running a lower than native res

as long as the aspect ratio is the same as native. On a less than brute thug puter,

many times running a bit lower res can pay off for a smoother flight if it's sort of

on the edge at 1920x1080. I did a flight from KHOU to MMUN this AM, and used

1600x900. Same aspect ratio as native. Ditto for 1280x720, and a few others.

In most cases I can run 1920x1080 pretty well even with the cheap onboard video.

But running a bit lower gives me a bit of overhead if I run into some really dense

stuff, or dense clouds.

Well after a few tries my gauges are not flickering anymore since I set a value for target frame rate. As for the resolution, I set my screen to wide in the settings, the quality isn't too bad, it's the 1024x768 resolution on a 16:9 so of course it's not as sharp HD as the 1920x1080 but then again less load as you say, makes flying in excellent condition.

Well after a few tries my gauges are not flickering anymore since I set a value for target frame rate. As for the resolution, I set my screen to wide in the settings, the quality isn't too bad, it's the 1024x768 resolution on a 16:9 so of course it's not as sharp HD as the 1920x1080 but then again less load as you say, makes flying in excellent condition.

That's the wrong aspect ratio though.. Doesn't it give you any 16:9 options

around that general res? IE: on mine, I think 1280x720 is the nearest one.

1024x768 is a 4:3 aspect video mode, and will look much more square than a

widescreen mode, unless it's being stretched to fit the screen. If it did that,

I would expect the gauges and such to look off, and circles to be ovals, etc..

Yes 1024x768 is a 4:3, when I make it a 16:9 (stretched) the quality shapes into a widescreen format with the res of the 1024. So yeah the planes aren't good looking anymore lol unless I set the 1920 again.

Archived