Duplicate Scenery files

salsim

I recently opened my FSX Scenery Library and found that 5 cities shown as Priority 8 thru 12 were also shown as Priority 14 thru 18 in exactly the same order. If I highlight any of the cities in the first group I can edit or turn them on or off. When I highlight any of the second group and try to edit I get a message saying "this is a required file and cannot be edited". Same thing happens if I try to turn off any in the second group, "this is a required file and cannot be turned off". I have not tried but am wondering if I should just try and delete the second group? The duplication does not show in the Scenery.cfg file, just in the Library. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Intel I7-3770 3.4G, 12GB DDR3, Win 7-64 bit, 600WPSU, NVIDIA GEForce GTX 650ti-Boost, 1TB HDD©, 250GB SDD(F), 4 Monitors

The Library can only show what's in the Scenery.cfg file. The active Scenery.cfg file is not the one in the main FSX folder.

Locate the primary Scenery.cfg file that's in the \Users folder structure and you can edit out the duplicates that are showing in the Library.

The scenery.cfg that is used for the library is in

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\fsx

The sceneries you get the "required" message for, have the appropriate flag set to "true" in the scenery.cfg. Set that one to "false" and you can edit them.

If the scenery paths are identical, you can delete the duplicates with no ill effects - but use the libraray GUI in the sim, do not simply delete them from the cfg file (that would screw it up). But first you should check what and where those sceneries really are.

Hi,

Check out the Scenery Config Editor Tool by Andrew Thornton. It's great for installing and controlling your scenery lib and has the ability to detect and fix duplicate area errors. Available on this site - use the advanced search option to search for the authors name

EDIT: Did a quick check of the version on this site - it v1.0.7. Google Scenery Config Editor and you will find numerous links to v1.1.2 (which I have) and even a link to beta v1.1.3

Regards

Brian

You may be dealing with a 'permission' problem if you have your sim installed here: 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\fsx'. Win 7 will not permit you to make changes to ANY file in that folder (ie: Program Files (NOT ProgramData)). So that is going to be a problem for you until you un-install FSX (yes, I know..) from there and re-install to 'C:\FSX' or 'C:\Microsoft Games \FSX'.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

You may be dealing with a 'permission' problem if you have your sim installed here: 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\fsx'. Win 7 will not permit you to make changes to ANY file in that folder (ie: Program Files (NOT ProgramData)). So that is going to be a problem for you until you un-install FSX (yes, I know..) from there and re-install to 'C:\FSX' or 'C:\Microsoft Games \FSX'.

Chuck B

...or, instead of a reinstall, you just switch off UAC for good, no more problems:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-user-account-control-on-off#1TC=windows-7

We didn't have UAC in any Windows version before 7 and I still fail to see why we need it now.

Chuck, you are wrong there I think.

I have fsx in C:\\FSMain

the active scenery.cfg file is still in

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

And that's where it should be.

Notice, "\Program Data", Not "Program Files ... ".

It is fine to have it in there.

Btw, my UAC is on. And no issue editing the scenery library from within FSX.

I just tried editing it by hand, and that works fine.

UAC is not on in Windows for that folder anyway.

It's mainly there to protect folders like Program Files, Program fFiles (x86), and C:\Windows from tampering. UAC means a virus can't get in there and infect the important program files and system files.

Best leave UAC on, it's very usefull.

If you ever need to edit a file in the Windows folder, you can always 'take ownership' of only that file, and leave UAC on for the rest.

Or better yet, make the changes to the file using an elevated command prompt.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi il88pp,

I disagree with the "very useful" part. That depends on the application of it. If you are the only user of your PC, IMHO it is just in the way. Microsoft themselves say that UAC "...can help prevent malicious software (malware) and spyware..". Notice "it can" - not "it will". If you execute programs/installers as Administrator because you have to, UAC is not preventing anything. And a lot of users are overwhelmed with the UAC messages anyway, because they do not know if the action they are advised on is "good" or "bad". So they just "click them away". If this is a single-user setup, I suggest getting a really good AntiVirus/AntiSpyware program and leave UAC off for good.

As with everything, use UAC when you need it - like when you have multiple users with their accounts on the same PC and you are not sure what they're all trying to do...

Hi nuitkati,:)

You misunderstood. UAC is not an antivirus. And I did not say it was.

But it does help prevent damage by virusses to other files.

And is very usefull.

An antivirus tries to identify virusses, and then warns you the file is not to be trusted. It compares files against a list of known virussses.

But UAC is very different.

Let's say someone recomends a program, ABCDE.exe

You download it.

Your virusscanner does not warn you while downloading.

You scan it after downloading as well. Still no warning.

Just in case, you also scan with malwarebytes. Still nothing.

(But -this one is a virus, it's just one that isn't known to your AV yet.)

Now you install.

With UAC off:

You get one "are you sure you wish to install", and then no further warnings.

If ABCDE.exe is designed to install and then infect your system files it can do so without being stopped.

Your AV won't stop this. By installing you have told your AV that ABCDE.exe is safe.

But with UAC on things are very different.

If ABCDE.exe tries to do damage, you will get a warning from UAC.

for example:

"ABCDE.exe is trying to alter protected system file X in folder C:\Windows\System32 - Do you wish to allow this? yes/no."

Or:

"ABCDE.exe is trying to alter Protected folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Office2015 - Do you wish to continue? - yes/no."

I like to know those things.

And with a little Google search it is very easy to find out if it is a good idea to let a program, one you don't really know, change files in those folders.

------------------

So UAC is not an Antivirus. It does not detect virusses and inform you.

But it does prevent virusses that slipped through from doing any damage.

And you can use the UAC warnings as an indication to remove the virus / suspicious program.

(Or if you can't fully get it removed, revert to a system image from before installing the virus.)

UAC does not advise you about the virus itself. And it does not instruct you to remove it, like AV would.

It enables you to make smart decisions. It enables you to know what's going on behind the scenes.

il88pp.

(I do use a paid Antivirus suite, I complement that with an occasional scan with Malwarebytes free, And also I once a week scan with AVG Rescue Disk. But UAC is on as well.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi il88pp,

thank you. And I know what is what, I really do :). I just see this differently, sorry.

In case of malware, UAC does only help you in some very specific scenarios. That would be a malware program trying to implement unwanted changes in your system files. This would only be possible if your Anti-Malware software didn't know about it or didn't catch it. The chance for that is pretty remote, unless you massively download executables from the net all the time. Furthermore, malware does not have to influence your system files at all, there are a million ways to hook into your PC without that.

If you are interested and in case you do not know already, read up on Exploit Kits and what Landing Pages are, this is good knowledge in this day and age.

IMO you can only make smart decisions if you know what it means that you are advised about. The vast majority of Windows users are not that knowledgable (or patient), and my experience is, that they are more confused (hindered even) by the UAC messages than helped - and that more often than not the resulting choice is wrong.

Interesting thought, implementing an exploit of the fact that FSX (or other software) is sometimes installed outside of "Program Files", so UAC will not even notice the attack. But I am pretty sure that one exists already.

Different matter alltogether is UAC in multi-user scenarios of course, where limiting administrator priviledges is imperative.

Thanks All for the responses and suggestions, issue is resolved and once again I've learned more about FSX thanks to this forum. "Life is Good!"
Intel I7-3770 3.4G, 12GB DDR3, Win 7-64 bit, 600WPSU, NVIDIA GEForce GTX 650ti-Boost, 1TB HDD©, 250GB SDD(F), 4 Monitors

Simple Airport Scanner is a stand alone tool that allows you to scan your scenery files and get a list of Addon airports. It will also help you to understand where you have multiple files containing an airport. SAS does not read stock airports. SAS works with FS9/FSX and P3D. It is not dependent on any other tool. http://www.scruffyduck.org

It will identify and list duplicate scenery bgl's. Essential tool for lots of scenery. Don

The bottom line is that YOU have to take control of all you files and folders. Duplicate BGL files is no 'accident'.

What I do is create a folder under main FSX folder and call it 'AddOn Scenery CB'. (I leave the DEFAULT AddOn Scenery folder BLANK. FSX AUTOMATICALLY looks into that folder each time it starts-so...if IT is empty there is no 'loading' to do). Then I make a Folder for each different scenery I install. Under each folder I make a scenery folder (and a texture IF needed ONLY). All BGL's go into that scenery folder. So it's always organized and always 'available' for deletion (for whatever reason). Take control.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Hi nuitkati,

I meant no disrespect;), I'm sure you know what you do. More then me perhaps.

But I always try to write simple explanations.

Because so many people read there forums.

I rarely have just one reader in mind when writing here.

I was explaining uac, not telling you what to do;)

have a good one,

il.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived