Crazy landing in near zero visibility conditions during a snowstorm at KDCA

noahweber

This was a fun one.

Using ActiveSky I Rolled the calendar back to January 21st, 2014, when a big snowstorm hit the East coast. I then flew from Newark to DC in the heart of the storm.

This video is the final minute of the approach and landing at KDCA. The runway lights came into few just a few seconds before touch down. I dropped pretty quickly at the end but managed to contact the runway at -116 ft/minute.

Aircraft, obviously, is the PMDG 737. Scenery is TropicalSim's KDCA, but you can't really see it.

It's only one minute, so check out the video:

-Noah

http://s6.postimg.org/a9i0d43tt/Capture.jpg

You make it sound like you were blinded by snow and guessing where the runway was. You must of used ILS to 'find' it because it was 'on the money'. How would you do with a 30 kt cross wind? (hehe). Still a nice video.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

You make it sound like you were blinded by snow and guessing where the runway was. You must of used ILS to 'find' it because it was 'on the money'. How would you do with a 30 kt cross wind? (hehe). Still a nice video.

Chuck B

Man, if anybody thought I did that WITHOUT ILS they must really believe in my piloting skills. I only took over control once I could see the lights (you can hear the disconnect alarm in the background). Like I said, it was only NEAR zero visibility, and there wasn't much wind. I'll be the first to admit the conditions could've been even worse, but I was still pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to pull of this landing given the circumstances. It makes me feel better about the technology available to real pilots on the planes I fly in real life!

-Noah

http://s6.postimg.org/a9i0d43tt/Capture.jpg

Archived