Best way to record a decent replay

sidfadc

I've seen countless videos on YouTube of nice landings with stunning scenery but the default replay in FSX is rubbish to say the least. I have a good system with a lot of add on scenery producing decent FPS and excellent eye candy. Problem is I can't record it properly! The default replay seems to keep the configuration of your aircraft before you start the replay.

So for example I have just landed the NGX at LFPG from EGCC, it was a great landing flaps 40/speed brake armed. When I taxied off the runway I came to a complete stop, my speed brake and flaps were up at this point. When I view the default replay it shows my aircraft exactly in that configuration on final (flaps up, speed brake doesn't arm on touchdown)? I have started recording my replays with GeForce ShadowPlay which is great because there is no FPS hit but capturing from the FSX replay is giving me problems. Another issue is the sound is a little bit off in replays, I can't describe but it just seems to wobble a bit.

So my question is, how do I record a decent replay? I guess I could activate ShadowPlay coming into land live but then I can't play around with the camera angles to shoot the replay.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Thomas

Does the lack of the mention of FSRecorder mean that you are still unfamiliar with it?

Try here. I've used it in the past and found that it usually worked well.

http://www.fs-recorder.net/downloads.php

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

I am wondering if I slow down the FS Recorder replay 50% when I render video, will it give me a smoother, less glitchy WMV file? Or will I just have a slo-mo video?

Anybody tried this?

M. Slim

P3D4.5 ; Win7 Pro i7-6700K 3.50GHz 6MB

ASUS Z170-K ATX mobo ; Ripjaws 16gb DDR4/3000MHz RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 ; 512GB Samsung 850 PRO, 512GB Samsung NVME 970

I am wondering if I slow down the FS Recorder replay 50% when I render video, will it give me a smoother, less glitchy WMV file?...

Anybody tried this?

Yes, lots of people have tried this and it works well. You play back at a low sim rate and speed the video up in the edit. You will have problems if you use EZCA and/or TrackIR. You can also use FS Recorder to render a video in non-realtime, which gives very smooth video with everything turned up to max. (Same caveats, plus you need to dub the sound.)

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

I am wondering if I slow down the FS Recorder replay 50% when I render video, will it give me a smoother, less glitchy WMV file? Or will I just have a slo-mo video?

Anybody tried this?

In theory, you should not get glitchy videos with Fsrecorder render. Or are you using

another render program like Fraps?

One thing that helped my smoothness when I was using the older puter, and I'm

still using it now... For a long time I was using 30 fps when rendering using Fsrecorder.

And I was getting that frame rate, but seemed to get small microstutters at times.

And I was editing and re-rendering using the same frame rate.

So I decided to try 25 fps. Danged if my videos seemed a lot smoother and no

stutters vs using 30 fps. And I'm still using 25 fps now with this i7 box, and the

videos pretty much come out smooth as silk.

Fraps being a whole different way of rendering has a lot larger frame hit, and

does not render at a supposedly steady frame rate like rendering with Fsrecorder.

The problem with rendering with FsR, is no sound. So you have to record a separate

sound track and then mix them together when editing.

It's a PIA, but I like the smooth frame rate.

I'm uploading another action mayhem video right now.. lol It's processing right now,

and will be ready in a while. Not the 737 for a change.. I decided to take a walk on the

wild side and do one with one of my old planes I like to fly.

Yea I looked into FS Recorder, downloaded and installed it but i didn't see FS Recorder in the add on drop down menu in fsx. After a quick google it apparently doesnt work with the Steam edition. Can anyone confirm?

Guest SkyScorpion
Do you Know how to open extra views? you can have smaller view windows tiled ontop of your mainview (like while in the VC you can have a Fly By windows, a Locked Spot Window any other views you want etc one per window), Assuming your GPU can handle it (which since you have shadowplay i assume it can).

Yea I looked into FS Recorder, downloaded and installed it but i didn't see FS Recorder in the add on drop down menu in fsx. After a quick google it apparently doesnt work with the Steam edition. Can anyone confirm?

FSRecorder version 1.331 is the last version that works with FSX:SE. It is still available for download.

Sadly, I read that the addon has been abandoned by its author so as far as I know there will be no fixes forthcoming to make the later, more capable versions (2.xxx) work with the Steam Edition.

That said, version 1.331 works fine and, since I can't run it anyway, I'm have no idea what else version 2.xxx could do that I'm missing out on. Ignorance is bliss!

i7-10700K @3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super 8GB, 2x SSDs

Archived