FSX and Alienware lag?

Hello all,

I have a few quick questions. I run FSX on my Alienware X51 Desktop. I have a 2TB hard drive with plenty of space still left on it, i7 Processor, Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 gpu, and 8gb ram. FSX has always been a great, smooth-running program. I have Sun Sky Jets KPHL, PMDG 737 NGX, New York Airports X, EZDOK Camera, OPUS Weather, Ground Services X, FS2Crew, and Emergency NGX. I also edited some airports with ADE 1.6. This has always been able to run find, but the other day I decided to install REX 4 Texture Direct, GEX North America, UTX USA w/ the night lights enabled, and Shockwave 3D lights. Now, all of the sudden, FSX lags. I have the minimum settings used for rex and tried lowering FSX settings too, but come on, it's an Alienware and it should be able to take it. The lag happens when below about 10 to 12 thousand feet and gets worse as I approach the airports. It is unbearable and insanely hard to land now. It is also humiliating that my computer is doing this. What would be causing this, how can I fix it, and what would the approximate cost be. Also, if it requires a hardware upgrade: what would be the recommended product and where could I get it? I do fly for a virtual airline, so a fast response would be appreciated. However, I am currently going to flight school and am very angry at the fsx performance, so anything would be great too! If there are any questions, let me know and thank you very much for your replies.

Keep in mind that Alienware computers are "Gaming" computers, not necessarily the best for FSX. What is the CPU speed of the i7 processor? FSX is intensely CPU speed oriented, and you have a lot of stuff going on in your addon features.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Did you install the shockwave lights for the AI planes too? Those are quite the FPS eaters and I had to remove them.

As for fixing: remove the new addons one by one, starting with Shockwave. Next on the list of the most probable culprits is UT. Turn off the features one by one (you can do that in the scenery library too). Test the performance every time, until you find the cause. Those addons are no easy feat, maybe they are just too much for your PC. Happens to everyone sooner or later. Hardware upgrades are possible but have a limited effect. Defragment your harddrive, maybe the textures and stuff are too scattered. Get a SSD instead. Use a RAM drive. Get a better CPU (if at all possible) or GPU (the 760 is not too powerful). But you can still end up lagging.

Welcome to the forum. The answer is easy.....you've exceeded the ability of the computer to cope with all the "stuff". Uninstall the latest additions and be happy....or, go to a 4790K with a GTX9x0...

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Shockwave automatically installed in the AI, however, I have most of them disabled because I am using World of AI Traffic. As far as I know, the lights aren't compatible with these aircraft so they aren't installed with them. I'm trying not to spend too much money, but I would like these addons to work with the computer, especially because I paid for them. Would upgrading to 16gb of ram help or no?

The quick fix as has been suggested is to remove add-ons one by one and see what's eating up your processor performance. Your GPU will be fine and there is no need to consider replacing that just yet. I would look at upgrading the processor if your motherboard will accept it.

Unfortunately you have found out the hard way that a gaming rig is not a good FSX rig. You are going to have to accept that you will have to make certain compromises to be able to run FSX at a level that is playable and enjoyable.

AMD 9590 5Ghz, Asus 990X Sabertooth, Asus 285 Strix, 8Gb Ram x2 RipJaws, Corsair Hydro H100, Corsair CM750M, 2TB Short Stroked HDD, Samsung 120Gb SSD for OS, x3 ViewSonic VX2370 LED Frameless Monitors. x1 Semi Understanding Partner.

Shockwave automatically installed in the AI, however, I have most of them disabled because I am using World of AI Traffic. As far as I know, the lights aren't compatible with these aircraft so they aren't installed with them. I'm trying not to spend too much money, but I would like these addons to work with the computer, especially because I paid for them. Would upgrading to 16gb of ram help or no?

More RAM does not help FSX directly, as it can only use 4 GByte anyway. But it could help if you set up a RAMdrive in the surplus RAM.

But one thing is for sure, even if you buy a completely new puter of the latest and greatest, you might be having the same problems. Getting FSX to run well, if it is at all possible, means to find the sweet spot of addons used and simulator, system and GPU configuration. Took me 2 years to get there - there is no quick solution (except letting knowledgable guys custom build it for you, like jetline systems or redbird).

But you can always put more addons and higher settings in there as any system could handle - that is a simple truth of an open platform.

Just for grins, you may want to take a look at this site and see what a custom system for running FSX is going for.

http://jetlinesystems.com/

Nice site! Of course it should be! Think I'll put the Gravity GTX computer with 32g of Ram & the Jetmax 777 simulator on my Santa list. Maybe it'll at least net me a nicer neck-tie for Christmas!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Archived