Should I build or not?

I recently returned to FS and running FS2004 0n a laptop, I don't have the sliders maxed out plus the traffic is set low.

I also have FSX still in it's box plus VFR scenery still in boxes obviously too much for the laptop to handle, this brings me to the question, I keep reading where some fairly high end PC's struggle to run FSX, I read of people saying their PC runs fine with this or that CPU, RAM, Graphics etc and others having trouble with higher spec.

Also FSX was made a few years ago when a lot of these machines were not on the market yet they struggle to run it, so is it the scenery add-ans, newer aircraft models or what that is causing these high end machines to struggle?

So when FSX was made what machine at that time was meant to handle it, if there wasn't one why make it?

So if I buy a ready made PC am I wasting my money only to find it won't run FSX or shall I build my own and if so again so many people saying get this or don't get that, this machine should do it others say it won't, it's becoming a mine field.

Also I'm on an old age pension so I can't just go out and buy a really expensive super duper PC, so I was thinking if I build I will have to buy the parts month by month, FSX wasn't made for people like me with limited funds it seems.

Right now, FSX can be run optimaly with less than state of the art machines. There could be overkill. It can only use 4Gb memory by itself, so a single 8GB stick with fast clocks is sufficient. CPU you will be very well served with a quad core I7 4790K overclocked to 4.8 GHZ. Nvidia 780TI video and it can not be used fully in FSX. A couple of hard drives, one of them an SSD for Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium will be great and enough. A good Corsair Liquid cooling system for the OC´d CPU. A good Z97 ASUS motherboard.

This is my build purchased a year ago for $2,300, and can be had for a lot less today. I run a silky smooth FSX locked at 30 FPS with the PMDG 737 and great sceneries--the most demanding on VAS. Never OOM errors or system crashes.

It will be a while before I can afford anything like that, this is what puzzles me like I said in my first post, when FSX came out in 2006 what machines ran it then?

FSX got caught with the change from single to multi-core CPUs. It was designed for fast single core models which never materialized. Getting the sim to run smoothly has always been about building the best PC you can, and then configuring the software properly. Running FSX with every option enabled and all sliders maxed doesn't work in many situations, especially when you start getting into the more demanding add-on (which is another issue itself. Add-on developers are pushing the sim past what it was designed to do.). It will run on mid-range machines, just don't expect to max out all settings.

Archived