Let's all participate...(user comments)

DominicS

Hi chaps,

I just wanted to remind everybody here about the new comment section in the file library.

This feature was implemented so that members could leave feedback on the files they download. It was also a feature requested by many of the developers we've interviewed.

So far though (sad to say) it doesn't seem to have had much use, not when compared to the amount of downloads.

For example the file: HMS Bounty fsxhmxbounty11.zip has (if you include the updates) had almost 500 downloads and yet we have 3 comments. Developers, through a shared passion, offer these files to us (the enthusiastic simmer) for free and as a community, we should all do our part (vital for longevity).

You'd be amazed at how far a 'thank you' goes:D

Cheers

Dom

Thanks for the reminder. I noticed the comment tabs on some of the downloads I looked at recently and am glad this option is available. However, I haven't downloaded any files in quite some time.

JOE- Asus P8Z68- V Pro; CPU: Intel i7-2600K 3.4ghz OC'd 4.6Ghz,

8G Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-1600, EVGA 1080Ti 11G ACX Cooler

Samsung 500G OS drive, 3 WD 1T Raptor HDD

Myself, I don't think it's 'productive'. What I would put in the comments (ie: THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU) might just turn out to be something I would put in an Email (ie: you made a STUPID mistake, or WHY 100 Mb of pics and pdf's, etc...). But that would SOUND disrespectful and not be 'productive' (ie: further the 'cause' of the uploader). To me it's a can of worms. So, no thanks.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I've seen this elsewhere and it's a good feature to have. I like to see what people have to say about the download in terms of function, issues, etc. When you see an aircraft download with someone making a really good comment about the behavior of the flight model for example, I tend to want to download and try out the aircraft.

Ricardo

FSThrottle.com

I just stumbled on this today on my own when making sure I was providing working links to my files when I referred to them. I managed to avoid commenting on my own files. Otherwise, I don't have much occasion to visit my own files so these would go unseen by me possibly forever.

I suspect the best use would be for general users to leave comments for each other (this is trash, really liked it...) Even so, to me it's like download comments you'll find on nearly every web site. Once you have the file, the chances you are motivated to return to the library, go through the hassle of finding it again just to leave a comment is pretty low. For as long as I've seen these features elsewhere, the times I participated is about 1 in 1000. I either like the file and use it and move on, or I hate the file, delete it and move on.

The three or four emails I've had from people in the last 20 years has been appreciated.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

I'm just curious about if any Moderator is monitoring the comments made or will it just be potential downloaders and Developers who will read the comments made? Like napamule2 mentioned about the 100s of Megs of pictures, movie files, and some "Other" nonsense that, I know for a fact, gets uploaded to this site, should we PM Rick or Nels, or a Moderator to review our comments and check out the download?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

See. You mention 2 different things that can be 'addresed'. The 'function' of the (zip or exe) download and the 'flight model' behaviour. Do you really think that the uploader will LEARN, and CHANGE TO, what is/should be, the correct folder structure, and name conventions. I doubt it. And as for the FDE's, good luck getting a 'updated' version of the FDE's if it is messed up as that is not their 'expertise' or even area of 'concern'. All you have is a 'big hammer' but they have a 1/2 inch thick stainless steel shield (ie: pride or attitude). Things haven't improved since FS98 so I don't think a comment will ever make even a dent as far as making changes or improvements by the uploaders (modelers, painter, etc). Human nature seems to 'get in the way' of progress or improvement (ie: you can't teach an old dog new tricks).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I think I'm pretty responsive, but if the mechanism isn't convenient, and/or the information gathered isn't distributed to the intended people (developers? fellow users?) then it's wasted HD space/bandwidth.

Maybe 90%+ of what is getting uploaded is just other people's stuff getting redistributed. The few real developers uploading FDEs and skins who really care to ever support what they've done (maybe 1 out of a thousand original authors) are not going to be visiting their files unless there is a closed loop feedback system, then realistically, what's the service being provided? The vast majority of original authors are going to put their stuff up once and never return and never update. They are more interested in getting nightmare behind them and go earn a few buck-o-zoids to recover from the hundreds/thousands of hours invested. The rest are going to support their product through the investment in a support web site.

If it's mutual confidence sharing on the part of the downloaders, then I guess it could work, but it will not ever be widely used. If the intent is to provide feedback to developers, it will never be used unless there is an automated follow up system. Even then email address come and go like water...

I would love to get more feedback on my stuff. Doubt this particular mech is going to accomplish that for me unless I spend a lot of time every day looking up my files only to stare at blank text boxes year after year.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

I haven't downloaded a file in months and have no idea how the format looks for this system, but I will add that this is being used very successfully in other places. Not only do you see the feedback, good or bad regarding the download, but dialogue between uploader and users. Granted that the dependency on freeware is heavier and freeware authors certainly have a higher status in my opinion than in other places.

Ricardo

FSThrottle.com

I know! 1.9 Gb for WHAT? It's an exe too. Cheesh. And it's for FS9 only. There is a 21 Mb zip for the same model (different paint) for FSX. What is going on here? Abuse, that is what is going on. Can we change your buddy's ways? I doubt it. NO COMMENT. Here is pic.

Chuck B

Napamule

787_Zip File Size.jpg

In my opinion, the VIEW command (see the file content of the archive and read text files) is the neatest feature a file library could ever have. I use it EVERY time I research or download a file. I see a 21 meg download, I want to know what's in it and VIEW gets the job done. If I don't like what I see in VIEW (junk I don't want or no detailed installation instructions, or dependance on another distribution I do not want) then I don't download it. Period.

-Pv-

Sometimes you include the plane, sounds and all; sometimes you don't. It really depends on how the wind is blowing that morning.

I'm with pvarn about the Comments. As a developer, once I upload it, I will go back the next day to make sure it uploaded ok and Nels put it in the right place. (Once I found my very clearly marked FSX scenery in the FS9 section. I emailed Nels about it and he was quick to fix it). After that, I may, out of curiosity check my download count about 6 months down the road.

With that being said, if you forget a vital part of the file such as the textures for scenery, usually very quickly you will get an email letting you know of your faux pas. Which sorta brings up another thing. One time I did forget to include some textures and I did get, I think, 3 or 4 emails about it, yet at the time the download count was 100+. I found it odd then as I do now, of all those 100s of downloads, only a few took the effort to notify me.

http://my.flightmemory.com/pic/tvieno.gifhttp://www.vatsimsigs.co.uk/Status/1136602.jpg

Yea, same thing happens to me. I think a lot of people don't know about the View command. They download something just because it's new, or 50 other people downloaded it, just to see what's in it, extract, then decide it isn't what they wanted and that's the end of it.

Any service which does not take human behavior into consideration is rather wishful thinking and will only have a few rare individuals participate.

I too have had some mismanaged files in my archives and 4000 downloads later, who discovers it? Me.

In my opinion, it's not this shiny feedback feature no one will use which need promoting, but the dusty old View feature.

-Pv-

Hi Dom,

This could be a good feature. I checked earlier and only saw the Add Comment button. After reading some of the newer posts in this thread I rechecked and saw that once comments were posted they appear along with the download description. I've often downloaded files and was either pleasantly surprised or sorely disappointed with the file. If the file description seems to accurately reflect the file a comment will probably be of little value as personal preferences vary widely. But in those times were one finds the file varies widely from the norm, either positively or negatively, a comment would often be helpful.

Jim F.

When I upload a 'fix', or 'update', I make sure I install and run those files to see if they ARE working right-BEFORE I upload the files. It's my responsibility to 'try' them out as if they came from someone else. Otherwise you (needlessly) impose on the community.

I thought everybody clicked on 'View' before they download. I will even open the readme or installation instructions - EVERYTIME. If I want the files it don't matter that there are folders inside of folders. I just extract to a temp folder and sort it out from there. I NEVER extract directly to 'FS Main Folder' (no way). Especially any exe installer.

Chuck B

Napamule

I wish what I were doing was a simple as that, but it doesn't matter. I make mistakes. I will always make mistakes.

If people are not going to send me email which is provided in the readme for every download, they are not going to return to the web site, try to hunt down or search for the file in question (did they remember the right one? Dd they remember any specifics? Are they sure they installed properly, are they going to leave us any useful details other than "it didn't work" or are they going to just not care and move on? Did they remember what service they got the file from?) I suspect the majority are just going to move on and save themselves the additional trouble unless they were REALLY angry with their experience.

They may also just work with the distribution for a while, eventually forgetting or not bothering to return to the source and report. Some other time. Right now, the baby's crying...

Even the applications which report home every time the user runs it don't get much information from the user. How often have you just clicked to opt out of the "user experience" reporting.

Largely because these online reporters are disassociated from the experience of using the product that they fail.

-Pv-

As I see it, it is an invisible feature that provides an option that few use with little or no added benefit.

Uh, wasn't that the point of Dom's original post that started this thread, i.e. if more people used it, it would become of value and interest?

I think the greatest challenge, in my situation, is that I may not test or try a new plane or scenery until some time after I've downloaded it.

Uh, wasn't that the point of Dom's original post that started this thread, i.e. if more people used it, it would become of value and interest?

Seeing how we don't have thumbs which we can click as a sign of agreement or acknowledgement, we are limited to either typing a +1 or stating our opinion in our own words, which is exactly what I just did. I apologize if my post was redundant.

http://my.flightmemory.com/pic/tvieno.gifhttp://www.vatsimsigs.co.uk/Status/1136602.jpg

I think its a cool idea, and I have written several comments. I jus think the mods shouldnt expect a ton of comments on every file; FlyAwaySimulation has had this feature for a long time, and even their most popular downloads only have about 10 comments, if that.

http://vnorthwest.com/lib/signatures/NWA3004.png

Great VA! Join me at http://www.vnorthwest.com :)

I would had a star rating as well. I find researching items in Amazon and Newegg the star rating gives me a good, first, overall look at users feedback. I then dig into the comments. Of course if there is not enough feedback scoring could be skewed a bit but just a suggestion.

I'm all for sending a developer an at-a-boy or a thank you for their hard work.

Where I have an issue is trying to offer constructive comment with my relative lack of experience and proficiency in the simulator. For me to make a remark and be wrong or off-base would be a source of embarrassment for myself, and misinformation for everyone else; so there could be an unintended consequence of trying to be too helpful by over-commenting in areas where I lack knowledge.

Therefore, I must resist the temptation to be too wordy for the sake of patronizing the artist. But so long as I can keep myself in check, I don't see a problem with a short comment. (Usually shorter than this one here!!!).

Archived