Jump to content

FS2002 with FSMetar and Plan-G moving map


David25210

Recommended Posts

hi all,

 

just fired up my old installation of Fs2002, all works beautifully, live weather through FSMetar 1.5.4 (Vatsim server), and moving map by Plan-G... runs on 13 years old Toshiba Satellite ... love it.

 

 

fs2002-weather-map.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi David25210. You might be my saviour! I have FS2002 as my only sim. Not active currently as the old laptop Presario has gone a bit faulty. But DO want to get back flying again soon. Those add-ons I'd love to have too, have never dabbled: FSMetar 1.5.4, Plan-G, Ultimate Traffic for FS2002 etc.. Please keep posting your progress and experience. The FS2002 community is quite small and not very active, most people preferring FS2004. I've love to get your help to get my setup humming, and perhaps via this forum we two, and anyone else interested, could get a bit of joint flying happening, just as the Club Chachapoya group are doing in the FS2004 world.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's all about the Journey. @David25210 you are more than welcome to join us to have some fun, fly to interesting and challenging places, and relate your experiences. We're an eclectic Group, and I think you'll fit right in. 🙂

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MAD1 said:

Hi David25210. You might be my saviour! I have FS2002 as my only sim. Not active currently as the old laptop Presario has gone a bit faulty. But DO want to get back flying again soon. Those add-ons I'd love to have too, have never dabbled: FSMetar 1.5.4, Plan-G, Ultimate Traffic for FS2002 etc.. Please keep posting your progress and experience. The FS2002 community is quite small and not very active, most people preferring FS2004. I've love to get your help to get my setup humming, and perhaps via this forum we two, and anyone else interested, could get a bit of joint flying happening, just as the Club Chachapoya group are doing in the FS2004 world.


Hello MAD1,

 

Having FS2002 as the only sim can be satisfying, at least one doesn’t get overwhelmed by tons of often unneeded addons, plus , FS2002 is swift on older hardware, and stable . Also like that scenery library adjusts in-game, fairly swiftly, and without sim restart, a big plus.
If you’d need  help or advice setting up fsmetar etc feel free to ask, old software can be tricky sometimes to get going right… 

I need to check out the Chachapoya.. briefly looked sound like fun !

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ViperPilot2 said:

It's all about the Journey. @David25210 you are more than welcome to join us to have some fun, fly to interesting and challenging places, and relate your experiences. We're an eclectic Group, and I think you'll fit right in. 🙂


 

Hi ViperPilot2, I’ll  keep an eye on some flights challenges and happenings in community, wish had more time for flying…btw  I noticed your Colorado Simmers badge, cool, my favorite area in flight sims…never been in CO in person, wish someday I will, for now, just simming haha… have to resort to flight sims although real flying is great week ago went for 2.5hours flight  in 152, living from it since once again 😀get rarely to the air in real.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, David25210 said:


 

Hi ViperPilot2, I’ll  keep an eye on some flights challenges and happenings in community, wish had more time for flying…btw  I noticed your Colorado Simmers badge, cool, my favorite area in flight sims…never been in CO in person, wish someday I will, for now, just simming haha… have to resort to flight sims although real flying is great week ago went for 2.5hours flight  in 152, living from it since once again 😀get rarely to the air in real.

 

Definitely! And to be honest when it comes to Colorado there isn't much difference at all between FS2002 and FS2004; maybe a couple of smaller Airports, but everything's pretty much the same. 

  • Like 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hi David25210 and all. Good news, tried my sick laptop (haven't turned it on for weeks) and the repeating 8 issue was still there but hardly occurring, so FS2002 seemed to be working enough to make it worthwhile to try it. Just did a taxi from the Meigs threshold to GA parking, progressive taxi. Bumped the AI traffic to 100% and the aircraft in the foreground of 1.jpg appeared, the others were there already. So, will now try a flight and see if the sim is viable. Will report.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MAD1 said:

Hi David25210 and all. Good news, tried my sick laptop (haven't turned it on for weeks) and the repeating 8 issue was still there but hardly occurring, so FS2002 seemed to be working enough to make it worthwhile to try it. Just did a taxi from the Meigs threshold to GA parking, progressive taxi. Bumped the AI traffic to 100% and the aircraft in the foreground of 1.jpg appeared, the others were there already. So, will now try a flight and see if the sim is viable. Will report.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Hello MAD1,

 

looks like your sim is working, please explain what’s the problem with “repeating 8s” ? I tried to search your posts regarding that issue in forums but no luck… have a screenshot of that? 8’s in all text fields? 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi David, thanks for the reply. The 8s issue I think is just my old laptop developing a fault, could be a corroded 8 key within the keyboard, or a hardware fault. I haven't taken the laptop apart to inspect under the keyboard. The 8 key isn't stuck down, so have no idea other than my hunches above. I don't want to dismantle the laptop or to fiddle, so am just trying to see if I can 'soldier on'. Will probably have to do something about this sometime however.

 

I just finished a bit of activity at Brisbane International, requested ATC taxi to parking. Interesting that I got a 'hold for passing aircraft' (whatever the message was), pic attached. That was fun. Then I took the 'Scenic Wonders (Easy)' tour of 'Sydney Scenic'. Have done it before, but this time I landed at the main Sydney International, Sir Kingsford Smith, at twilight, in the blustery rain. Was lovely, with the full runway lights all lit up. And the way the sim developers have done the rain is very good, sounds just like rain! (Relevant as we've had a lot of rain here, showers every day, and continuing every day including today.

 

Just so impressed every time I explore some aspect of FS2002. The developers did a really good job.

1.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, lastivka said:

The good thing about FS2002 and even FS2000 is that there are plenty of interesting addons available at archive.org. These programs are now "abandonware" but were top-of-the-line addons in their day. For example, try https://archive.org/search?query=fs2002

That’s right, absolutely… plus you can get a very decent deals on eBay if you’d prefer original boxed software with printed documentation. Or rare items. It’s often nice to have, I do get these old titles every once a while because not everything is available on webs like archive.org… people who upload those don’t have everything ever published either…

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...