round the world trip in short FSX flights - checkout my airport list - ideas 4 next?

iainso

I've just completed my round the world trip in the PMDG 737, managed to nail all my landings pretty well except for one incident at Petropovlosk where a family member distracted me :).

Here is the list of cities/airports that made up my trip. I tried to do it all visually, with an atlas by my side. Please advise on any nice alternatives for my next trip:

London

Amsterdam

Innsbruck

Venice

Bari

Athens

Istanbul

Jerusalem

Riyadh (FSX has the worst, most boring scenery for Saudi Arabia).

Dubai

Karachi

Bombay

Calcutta

Rangoon

Bangkok

Singapore

Jakarta (the trip wouldn't have been complete without dipping below the equator)

Hong Kong

Shanghai

Seoul

Tokyo (well impressed by FSX scenery in Japan)

Sapporo

Petropovlosk

Hooper Bay (a crazy short runway - struggled to take off before the end)

Anchorage

Vancouver

Seattle

San Francisco

Reno

Salt Lake City

Denver

Omaha

Chicago

New York

Halifax

St Johns

Nuuk (short runway)

Reykjavik

Stornoway

London

On the whole I was most impressed by FSX default scenery, except Saudi Arabia and non-coastal Greenland (loads of weird graphics artefacts).

My next trip might be round South America or Africa, any ideas?

Iain

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

AMD RADEON RX 5700XT

WONDERFUL FLIGHTS!!! However I have to agree with Alverthein. Perhaps one of the most important FSX control keys is PAUSE. God knows, when approaching a hot zone to med-evac injured Marines in Vietnam I'd have loved to be able to "pause" real world time and figure what would be the best thing to do and have the least number of Marines killed!!

As to suggestions for another trip: Mostly below the equator? Frankly I haven't researched that route in terms of fuel etc. But it would be a great addition to what you have already done.

And if you want to find out how good a sim pilot you truly are, fly from Khatmandu (sic) to Bhutan! Yes, it's above the equator but worth the side trip! As I understand it, there are less than ten commercial pilots certified to land there in the entire world!

I have a good friend who is herself a GA pilot who went to Bhutan to visit the shrines and temples. She told me the approach was far and away more scary than any approach she has ever experienced either as a GA pilot or as a commercial airline passenger!!

Please keep us updated on your flights! I'm an old R/W chopper guy so 250 miles per hop is right at the edge of possible range, depending on the prevailing winds. What you are doing presses all of our FSX extremes!

I just printed out your airport listings and will try to recreate your flight in a fixed wing. No way any chopper, even with air to air refueling would complete many of your legs!

Thanks so much!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

God knows, when approaching a hot zone to med-evac injured Marines in Vietnam I'd have loved to be able to "pause" real world time and figure what would be the best thing to do and have the least number of Marines killed!!

Being a Former Marine, I heartily agree, totally and completely!! ;D

IAINSO, as to possible flights:

South America: as many capital cities as possible? State, county, country, whatever. If they call it a capital, land in it! Every village along the Amazon? You'll be up and down in a float plane, so maybe a C-195? It's a lot of short, SHORT hops, but it sounds like fun...Or perhaps the Ganges river in India. LOTS of villages there. Lots of state capitals too. Or every country's capital in SE Asia. Plenty of them.

Every Island in Fiji, maybe? a ton of those.

Or every Island below the equator the Marines (selfish plug there) landed on in WWII.

Tons of those too...

That's all I can think of right now, but I haven't taken my evening meds yet...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I did that a few months ago, but the legs weren't quite as short.

I used my 737-900 pseudo BBJ3 with only 22 people along for the ride.

They had plenty of room to stretch out.

Taken somewhere over the S. Pacific

900.jpg

I did the appx first half north of the equator, and the last appx half or so below.

Started at Houston Hobby.

KHOU-KBOS-EGLL-ESSA-UUEE-USSS-VIDP-VTBD-WIDD-YPDN-AGGH-NCRG-NTAA-

SCIP-SEGS-MHTG-KHOU

The last legs were coming across the southern Pacific, and I stopped at some

of the islands, such as Guadalcanal "AGGH" and Rarotonga "NCRG".

I was expecting really lame scenery, but actually most of the little islands were

better than I expected.

I remember going from KBOS to EGLL I had a knarly tailwind being it was winter.

Really shoved me along, and I made good time.. Seems my tailwind was up to

the 160+ knot range at some points. I remember ESSA, UUEE, and USSS all near

blizzard conditions.. Then the later legs I crossed over into summer..

It was warm and green on the S. Pacific islands on the later legs..

I didn't really plan it in advance, and was originally sort of intending to go across

to Japan, etc.. But changed my mind during the flight, and decided to dip down

south and go across the S. Pacific, mainly because I rarely fly down there.

I flew all the flights with real time, real WX, and nary a pause to be seen. :pilot:

WONDERFUL FLIGHTS!!!

And if you want to find out how good a sim pilot you truly are, fly from Khatmandu (sic) to Bhutan! Yes, it's above the equator but worth the side trip! As I understand it, there are less than ten commercial pilots certified to land there in the entire world!

Sounds like Paro.. "VQPR" I have some pretty decent scenery for that, and

fly into that one from time to time. Drukair pilots are about the only ones

legal to fly into that, and from what I hear, if one wants to fly a private plane

into there, you have to get a Drukair pilot to fly with you to hold your hand.

They use A319's for their usual commercial flights.

Naturally, all my flights into the artificial Paro have been in the 737's.

Boeing went there and did tests with the 737-700 in a bid to sell them their

planes, but they ended up going with the Airbus.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/aero_23/737-700Bhutan.pdf

This was one of the first times I flew into there using the 737-600.

This was the published visual approach to 15. Didn't do too bad as far as

managing the altitude, but my turn back to the river was a wee bit wide,

and I let the speed get a tad warm, but no real problem with the 600, being as

it's the least slippery of the 737NG's and is easy to slow down.. No winglets..

I do the turn a bit tighter now. It's fairly tricky as you approach the gorge at

11,500, and when you get to the turn point, you then have to do a descending

turn back around to the river, and you want to roll out over the river at about

9500 ft. Then you descend down the river to the infamous "S" turn to runway 15.

Myself, I find doing the descending turn back to the river probably the hardest

part, as the speed and rollout to 9500 is pretty critical. To me, the S turn is pretty

easy.

BTW, the scenery is freeware, and should be available here I think. I think that's

where I got it anyway. I've done it with the 737-800 and was able to pull it off.

But in the real world, I think the 737-700 would normally be the largest 737 allowed,

and that is the version Boeing tested there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itB8AwnKDJs

thanks everyone,

I reckon I'll try a tour round the southern hemisphere next, which will mean a lot of island hopping, and so navigating by landmarks could be a problem - I'd still like to rely mainly on my atlas and dead-reckoning though, but I guess I may have to cheat sometimes and hit Shift-Z to check my lat/long.

Iain

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

AMD RADEON RX 5700XT

Archived