Disc Usage Status Indicators-- Can they be reversed?

What do I mean by this? Cause I know I'm probably being very vague and confusing in the title...

So a picture is probably worth a 1,000 words.

I hit START > COMPUTER, and the tiles labeled with my various drives and how much is "free" on each one comes up.

1. My question is can the disc status indicators (displayed in 'tiles' format) be reversed to show how much has been used instead of how much is free?

I know I can right-click on each tile to see the pie-chart properties of free vs. used-- but I wanted to be able to avoid that step and just see "amount used" in the first window.

I am more interested in taking the amount used and dividing by the total size of the disc, to get a percentage used. I'd like to avoid doing the extra subtraction to calculate the difference, if I can help it. Is this possible?

2. I'd also like to add-- as a side question along the same subject-- what percentage used starts to be too much to operate a drive? I'm at around 60% used on that H-drive. At what point can I expect to start having problems, due to fullness, and thus should start thinking about an additional external hard drive?

Thanks,

-- John

used vs. free space indicator.png

In all my years of dealing with versions of Windows, I've never seen anyone "reverse" the used/free indicator.

As far as percentage used, the rule of thumb taught by the IT pro at the A+ cert training I attended those many years ago was this, and I think it's a good one:

15% free space available - yellow alert. Time for some serious file management to free up space or start planning replacement with a larger drive.

10% free space - red alert, especially on a smaller drive. You're at risk of bad things happening real soon due to lack of contiguous free space on the hard drive or just plain running out of free space during normal operations.

Okay thank you. I thought the free/used toggle question might be perceived as an odd question to most, but I figured it didn't hurt to ask, just in case there was some hidden operation to toggle back and forth, that I was unaware of.

Your 15% 10% warning advice sound like good rule of thumb. At 40%, looks like I have a way to go, but still something to keep my eye on. Fortunately my H is not my active simulator drive, just storage... so my concern is not nearly as pressing as it would be otherwise.

Thank you for your time,

-- John

How often do you do a Disk Cleanup? You might be surprised at how much free space you acquire after that!

Well I have an addon disc cleaner (as I've been told by others that the one that comes with windows is generally not reliable enough to get everything)-- and it's set to automatically clean everyday... though I never see any message that it has. I trust that it just does it. Whenever I open the program to do a manual analysis and/or cleaning, it always tells me it's fine and that disc cleanup or defragmenting is not necessary... so I close it and don't bother. I figure it's been done.

Is there a difference between a disc clean up and a defrag? I just always assumed they were synonyms for one another.

No, disk cleaner and defrag are two separate beasts! I disk clean about every two months and I run Superantispyware and Malwarebytes once a week and then defrag using a program called "My Defrag".

Just to make sure your auto program is working, just click on the Disk Cleanup to see what it shows.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Is there a difference between a disc clean up and a defrag? I just always assumed they were synonyms for one another.

Yes, they are different. Disk cleanup is about removing files that are no longer needed, such as web browser caches, temporary files or old Windows Update installation files. This will mostly apply to the drive the drive the OS is installed on as that is where most of these types of temporary files will be created by default.

Defragging is about, well, defragging files on the drive so the drive doesn't have to piece together a file from across the hard drive. Optimising a drive takes this a step further and gets into organising where the files are located on the drive to improve performance even further. Due to the performance increases of SSD over traditional hard drives, defragging SSDs is not generally needed, though it may be in some cases.

Personally I haven't noticed any advantage to disk cleaning or defragging more than once a month, if that. A modern hard drive would have to be quite full and heavily fragmented before it would really be noticeable outside of benchmarks.

No, disk cleaner and defrag are two separate beasts! I disk clean about every two months and I run Superantispyware and Malwarebytes once a week and then defrag using a program called "My Defrag".

Just to make sure your auto program is working, just click on the Disk Cleanup to see what it shows.

Then I think I might be mistaken. I run a program called Diskeeper12, and I believe it is a defrag program, not a cleaner. That's the one that is auto-set. I can't keep up with them all.

There is also "clean manager" (cleanmgr.exe) in the System 32 and SysWow64 folders, but I don't see settings in there to make those automatic. Instead, it calls up a field to choose the drive I want cleaned and I select it, so I think that's pretty manual and entirely up to me-- unless I'm missing something?

So maybe the defrag is not the issue but rather the disc clean is.

Oh and I do have Malwarebytes as well, that is a good program.

I would say, then, Press that Disk Cleanup tab right next to the blue/pink disk representation and see how many Temp files (From Internet surfing) and how many Old Compressed Files you can clean up and recover some space.

Sorry to rush off! It's Gigantes time!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

and see how many Temp files (From Internet surfing) and how many Old Compressed Files you can clean up and recover some space.

Yes indeed, I think this answers my questions. My and how they do pile up!

disc cleanup.jpg

Sorry to rush off! It's Gigantes time!

No need to apologize for the Giants! ;-)

Archived