Always start with default flight

beroun

With FS2004 for 19 years 150+GB with addoon sceneries and aircraft, own panels mods, own uploads and so on, so quite familiar with logistics But one always learns (or does not listen:)

What I did routinely was saving my own flights (different airports, seasons, weather, aircraft) AS DEFAULTs. Quite convenient, since the next time firing up FS, I was where I wanted to be flying the aircraft I wanted to fly........OK. BUT jumpinf from one default flight to another, I often encountered weird things like sudden shut downs, restarts, and mainly unable to shut FS down, since it was always restarting. Also the aircraft flight dynamics seem to be changing from flight to fligh. But I learned to live with it.

Until I heard few times ALWAYS START WITH THE DEFAULT FLIGHT!!

Must say that since I filnally listened and always start with the default Cessna in Seattle and then go to my saved flight, the problems ARE GONE. The FS runs like a whistle and my saved aircraft always behaves as when I saved it. True, there is one more step to get on my plane from Default Cessna but it is worth it!

I never again save another flight as a default! and ALWAYS START WITH THE FS DEFAULT FLIGHT!!

• Like 1

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Sounds very much like some kind of error or combination of errors in your FS9.cfg file.

Under certain FS9.cfg conditions, one of which is starting the default Cessna-Seattle flight, this file is automatically re-created and which COULD be the reason why your own pre-saved flights then work correctly.

I would therefore want to suggest that you (test-)shut down your FS9 immediately after having opened ONLY your default "Cessna-Seattle" flight. That you then re-open your FS9 and start any one of your pre-saved flights to see if your problems are solved. If yes, it then becomes necessary to shut down your FS9, to then re-open it and to immediately fly the same pre-saved flight to see if your problems have returned. If so, it means that your FS9.cfg file somehow gets structurally damaged and that could mean re-installing your FS9 from scratch ........ or ........ of cause "always starting the default flight" first, as you now seem to be content with.

Good luck and regards.

Hans

I recall reading somewhere that the default flight has some settings that are applied to all other flights. I believed this to apply regardless of whether one loads the default flight first. I understood that it was to ensure that all systems are available even if not implemented in the selected aircraft. Thus if the newly-made Default flight's aircraft didn't have those systems then they wouldn't work in the selected aircraft, regardless of whether or not they had been implemented in it.

My aging brain doesn't retain any real detail but I think the original comments applied particularly to things like the availability of certain electrical or fuel systems. Feel free to argue or to add details -- memory really has become hazy and I suspect it was something I read before understanding anything about how FS9 works.

In any case, I interpreted that as requiring the default flight to be for the default Cessna so, many years ago I made a new Default flight with that plane and at my local, with better weather. I still use the Default flight so I may be keeping things current by chance, but I have never needed to load the Default flight before loading my selected flight. I think Flight1 recommended it for their C441 but I flew that for years as my Air Hauler beast of burden with no problems. (AH launches its flight directly so the Default was never loaded first).

Thoughts, clarification and corrections would be most welcome -- I haven't thought about this for years.

D

Apart from the exciting early days of FS2004 experimentation (it was a massive advance on its predecessors) I have never started with the original default flight. That said, none of my saved flights have ever been saved as the default flight. The option "Save Flight" is a bit of a misnomer. It should have been something like Save Aircraft/Location.

On a humerous note, In a previous version of MSFS (possibly FS98) a freeware addon scenery for somewhere in the world accidently created a building about two miles high right smack in the middle of the runway at the default Meigs.

Thanks for all the input gents. Very useful. There appear to be many possible alternatives how to start flying. Mine is just one of many, which appeared to resolve my random issues. FS9 sometimes surprise me with unusual things often happening and disappearing. As someone once mentioned there must be gremlins in it. 

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

The only thing I ever used the "Default Flight" for was to setup my aircraft for cold and dark and at an airport in my time zone so wherever I started a new flight, it was the correct time of day.  Other than that, I never touched or changed the default flight.  If I needed to save a flight because of a long distance,  I only had to make a few minor adjustments to resume from where I left off the next time.  I was using FSX, but I think it applies the same to FS2004.

I think people who always start by selecting the default flight, then changing aircraft, weather, and airports are causing themselves lots of grief!

• Like 1

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I don't know where that myth started, though I've read that here many times but I, too, never started with the default flight except when I first installed the sim and I had a good experience from initial install until I replaced it with the next version, which I did the same way -- default flight only on initial install.

• Like 1

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

1 hour ago, defaid said:

a long way from Seattle

Looks like a fun field to fly out of.

• Like 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

48 minutes ago, JSMR said:

^ where is that? Looks great. 

Always default flight. Habit for me. I don’t think it matters too much for most things but some add-ons require it loads first. 

I don't guess I ever ran into any of those.

2 hours ago, Tom Gibson said:

It certainly helps for me - when the sim seems sluggish it gives me higher frame rates and faster scenery loading.

On the rare occasion that I selected the default, I saw no change in performance. Granted that certain add-ons (aircraft and scenery) degraded performance because they were so resource intensive, but outside of those it only mattered where I was (rural or big city, for example) for performance changes.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

2 minutes ago, lnuss said:

I don't guess I ever ran into any of those.

On the rare occasion that I selected the default, I saw no change in performance. Granted that certain add-ons (aircraft and scenery) degraded performance because they were so resource intensive, but outside of those it only mattered where I was (rural or big city, for example) for performance changes.

Not really about performance at all. I can’t see how that would change anyway. 

But complex add-ons - like the iFly 737/747 to name one - have gauge / system issues if the default flight isn’t loaded first. Several others are the same. So you need to always start with the default flight so everything in FS2004 loads correctly, carrying over to the add-on you’re using. 

1 hour ago, JSMR said:

where is that? Looks great. 

Found the airport, Welshpool (read the Lat/Long from the screenshot). Who's add on scenery are you using? It's great.

• Like 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

2 hours ago, JSMR said:

^ where is that? Looks great. 

Always default flight. Habit for me. I don’t think it matters too much for most things but some add-ons require it loads first. 

38 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Found the airport, Welshpool (read the Lat/Long from the screenshot). Who's add on scenery are you using? It's great.

Yes. It's my local. I've only just noticed that "Location" is no longer given under a poster's avatar. It used to say 'near EGCW'.

The airport is one of Just Flight's British Airports series. The photoscenery (a bit dated) and the mesh are Horizon's VFR Photographic Scenery. I have some idea, recalling Garry Summons' old website, that the JF Airports are very similar to Garry's UK2000 VFR airfields for FS9.

Here's Bob, the late owner as PF and Tony, PNF, about to take me, another engineer and a couple of French girls to Angoulême in a Gulfstream 695b. I absolutely adored that plane: zero to rippling face in a couple of seconds and what always felt like a vertical departure. Sometimes a vertical approach too, depending on the French controller's state of mind. The drinks fell out of the fridge on one descent (that was my fault...). Once he'd shut down, I asked Bob about the late clearance and he said something like, "No, it wasn't a problem. This thing falls like a stone."

image.thumb.jpeg.9abda73d625fefe98765280532419a24.jpeg

Enough. I'll shut up now - this is becoming a hijack.

• Like 1

Not really about performance at all. I can’t see how that would change anyway. 

I was referring to Tom Gibson's remarks, not yours, on performance. And I never came across the problems you mentioned, either. So evidently your problem (if I understood you correctly) is aircraft specific. Guess I didn't use any of them.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

1 hour ago, lnuss said:

I was referring to Tom Gibson's remarks, not yours, on performance. And I never came across the problems you mentioned, either. So evidently your problem (if I understood you correctly) is aircraft specific. Guess I didn't use any of them.

Yes very add-on specific. Usually the more complex the add-on, the more they encourage loading the default flight first. 
Takes all of an extra 20 seconds to do so it’s never a big deal for me. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've always left the default flight as the default flight simply because whenever i have issues with a particular aircraft, scenery, utility, gauge, etc. one of the first responses will be "does the default flight work OK?".  And it does seem to help if you're loading a complex aircraft to load the default first.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leuen said:

Up to now nobody has mentioned that FS9 could be started everywhere with an own made "default flight". Just put a line like this in FS9.cfg:

Yes, but if I recall correctly (it's been a while since I had it installed) you can just tag ANY flight you've saved to be treated as the "default," thus there's "more than one way to skin a cat."

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

On 4/22/2023 at 2:54 PM, leuen said:

Up to now nobody has mentioned that FS9 could be started everywhere with an own made "default flight". Just put a line like this in FS9.cfg:

I did. See my posts above 😉