Screen Resolution settings

I have a newer LG 32 inch gaming monitor that has a native resolution of 2560x1440, it has a wonderful picture quality.

For some reason, I thought the resolution in the MSFS settings should be set to the same 2560x1440. I have a mid grade computer and had a fairly good looking picture but the sliders had to be set in the low - medium range.

Out of curiosity, I set the msfs resolution to 1920 x 1080 and picked up another 10-12 FPS. I'm going to play with turning things up. 

Does it matter in any way if the screen resolution and the msfs resolution are set differenty? I have a feeling it shouldn't matter, but thought I would ask.

It matters in the sense that there's a better way to do it, which will improve picture quality.

Instead of changing the in-game resolution, I suggest you keep it at the native monitor resolution. Then, adjust the render scale to less than 100%, around 55% if you want the game to render at 1080p. What this does is that the game will render at a lower resolution and then scaled up with a fancy algorithm to look reasonable. You can then also play with the AMD shaperpening slider in the game (available on all vendor cards, not just AMD).

If you want to try it, you can also use the DX12 beta version of the game, which will enable the AMD FSR option (available on nVidia cards too). In my experience it looks better than the render scaling setting, but the DX12 beta can be less stable. FYI, if you want to try this, the setting is under the Anti-Aliasing settings IF you enable the DX12 Beta. If you have an RTX GPU, you can try DLSS too.

Out of curiosity, what are your system specs?

• Like 1

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

i7 2700K, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1050ti, 500gb ssd.

Before doing anything else, I'll try your suggestion and keep the 2560 x 1440 and turn down the render scale.

That's my problem setting things in MSFS, I have idea what most of those setting are or what they do.

1 hour ago, rudyjo said:

Before doing anything else, I'll try your suggestion and keep the 2560 x 1440 and turn down the render scale.

That's my problem setting things in MSFS, I have idea what most of those setting are or what they do.

Kilo has given very good advice.

I would also suggest looking at You Tube videos, there are a LOT of them that discuss what each of the settings do, and some of them deal with the resolution, plus a host of other topics.

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

3 hours ago, rudyjo said:

If I may, I'm not surprised your PC is having a hard time on 1440p. This sim is brutal to run on anything but the latest hardware.

That said, I'm reading between the lines that you, personally, don't need 60 FPS to enjoy the sim - neither do I. So for a solid 25 - 35 FPS on a combination of medium and high settings, I would try to find a slightly better GPU and get 8 GB additional RAM.

For a pretty good summary of how various GPUs fare with the sim, see this:  https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/ms_flight_simulator_(2020)_the_2021_pc_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,7.html

The above link goes directly to the 1440p benchmarks, but give the entirety of the article a read. It's quite informative.

All the best!

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

Thanks for all the replies.

Your right, I don't need 60fps. Almost all my flying is in small bush planes, in and out of smaller airports or air strips. 

The 10 -12 extra fps I got made a big difference, it was enough to get rid of the small amount of stuttering I had, mostly coming in to land over trees.

The rendering scale brought down to 75 changed the setting to 1920 x 1108 and the amd setting  did improve the sharpness.

I think I'll try that and see what happens when I set the global rendering quality to high, I will probably have to turn a few setting down, but if I end up with even 5-6 more fps than I had before, I'll try to just leave it alone and enjoy it.

If i can pick up a 20% better GPU and another 8 gb of ram for a reasonable price, I'll do that. I'm 72 and this is my only hobby, nothing wrong with spending some money on yourself once in awhile. Thanks Guys.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2023 at 8:05 PM, rudyjo said:

[ I'm 72 and this is my only hobby, nothing wrong with spending some money on yourself once in awhile. Thanks Guys.

I'm not far behind you there at 68 and this is my only hobby as well. I had to give up all of my old hobbies by doctor's orders. Sunlight isn't bad for just vampires according to him. I have had a lot of problems with skin cancers and after a few strokes and a pulmonary embolism I'm now in a wheel chair so most of my day is in front of my computer flying my sim. I just spent a chunk of change on three 43" TV's to use as monitors along with a pair of touchscreen monitors to un Air Manager on. If I'm gonna sit at my flight sims all day I'm doing it up right. LOL I did manage to talk the minister of finance (the wife) in to letting me get a decent computer a couple of years ago for the flight sim so I can run it at 35 to 45 FPS under high to ultra settings for the most part. I stayed with the Baron for my first couple of thousand hours but now I'm loving the HJet and the Baron is staying in the hangar. Good to see another older kid playing in the sim.

• Like 1