Best Basic Scenery Addon?

LTCSZ

Hi: Just got P3d and was wondering what the best basic scenery add-on would be to start with? I am think of something along the lines of an Ultimate Terrain type scenery enhancement that would really spiff up the coastlines, lakes, roads, etc...Thanks for any advice...

Steve

UT is good, though their mapping changes have caused a less desirable appearance to some of the areas where roads change from two to four lane (or back, or other changes), but otherwise it's a great product, and works well with P3D.

While I don't have them, FTX (ORBX) has some global stuff that does roads, lakes, etc. and another, companion product to do other scenery parts, all over the world, not just U.S., Canada or Europe.

Personally, though, I love the ORBX regions (PNW and other adjacent areas up through southern Alaska), and have all of them for North America. But they do little for anywhere else.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

From what you ask - I'd give a big thumbs up to the UTX (Ultimate Terrain) products. I also have FTX Vector and find that UTX not only looks better, it has less impact on VAS.

For textures, current major player is ORBX products but GEX will be to market shortly with their world texture product.

Personally, in FSX, I always preferred GEX - will wait to see their P3D product but expect it to be same quality work.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

And let me put in a plug for the stock scenery. If you can push your settings high enough it can be quite good especially if at high speed ;). I was flying around crater lake, OR the other day, I just had to pause and admire the scenery.

Those GEX screen shots look really nice though. Good to know they are working on a P3D version, that will be very tempting.

I agree 100% about how well FTX improves the areas it covers. However, two issues limit it for many if not most.

1. That's some serious money per area. I can only afford to buy areas I use a lot or where I have real knowledge of the scenery. I'd surely buy more were the cost per area not so high!

2. Since we're talking P3D here, a lot of the FTX stuff isn't compatible with P3D. Make sure it works with P3D before you spend!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Archived