FSX STEAM?? Is it worth fooling with?

Rupert

I've had good luck with FSX Deluxe for years. I currently have it installed and running on three different computers. However, I am sometimes painfully aware it wasn't written for today's machines & is hugely CPU biased. I keep hearing people are converting to Steam. But other than the occasional changeover glitch, I find almost no actual info on Steam.

Is Steam CPU or GPU based? Does Steam access more CPU channels and ram than before? Is software such as FTX directly usable with steam? Must one pay on a regular basis for Steam or its' functions. Is the initial purchase, pluss typical third party addons, all that is needed?

Does Steam have enough advantages to make it actually worth fooling with? And if so, please advise as to what they are. Please advise as to articles, other than sales releases, from which I can glean true information about Steam. And yes, in most but certainly not all cases, I already know how to fish fairly well.

Thanks!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

FSX: Steam Edition is just the same FSX with some tweaks and fixes, there aren't any major changes to the underlying sim. If you have FSX up and running fine there is no need to move over. On the other hand, if you are getting OOM errors, the Steam Edition does appear to handle VAS a little better. Many add-ons work fine, or were updated to work properly, but the best way to make sure is to check the developer's website.

There is no recurring cost to the Steam Edition either. Once you buy it, it becomes part of your Steam library and may be downloaded as many times as you like, even to multiple computers.

By the way, when people are talking about Steam, they are referring to the online digital store. Steam themselves have little to do with Dovetail and FSX: Steam Edition beyond selling the sim (think Best Buy or the FSPilotShop selling software).

Since you have the Deluxe edition, you might like the fact that FSX:SE includes Acceleration military aircraft and missions.

Also, FSX:SE has been on sale twice for $5 U.S. so the term "worth it" almost fades into insignificance, money-wise, if you catch it on sale. :) If the huge price reduction is an incentive to you, you might consider placing FSX on your Steam "wish list" and Steam will send you a notification if/when it goes on sale again.

i7-10700K @3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super 8GB, 2x SSDs

FSX steam is so cheap it's worth getting even if it's only to try it. I've used Fsx Classic, FSX steam and now I've moved over to p3d.

I ran both Fsx se and FSX Classic in dx10 mode with Steves fixer and had good results although for me I'm sure I had better fps on the ground with FSX classic strangely! But the reason I gave up with FSX se for the time being is the fact that using orbx England would always result in a .dll CTD no matter what settings I was using. I never had one CTD in FSX Classic. However dovetail is supposed to be releasing a patch to improve stability and CTD issues. So my advice would be to wait until this patch is available!

I've had an account with Steam for close to four years now (very happy). I started with rail simulator. I recently revamped my computer to windows 8.1 and purchased FSX and X-plane thru steam. I have a lot of programs that I purchased for FSX boxed edition, and they all work with the steam edition. As I grow and learn I have weeded out some programs that were not to my liking. I'm now finding myself leaning towards the high ended programs. Its coming together quite nicely.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

I wouldn't, if your FSX is currently running fine. I'm starting to read of issues some are having with the steam edition. Also, not all addons are compatible just yet.

Myself, it took me awhile to get FSX to behave. I'll be damned if I'll go thru that again..

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

As I understand it, better performance is related to Dovetail re-compiling the source code with the current compiler. I have a very modest system (details below) and have both FSX Acceleration and Steam installed. The steam install is running much smoother with the sliders quite high. I am locked at 30 FPS on both and the Steam install looks a lot better with no jerks and stutters on the same flights. I am sure each system is different, but a recent article I read in PcPilot also showed better performance with the Steam version.

AMD A10-5800K at 3.4 GHZ, 8 GB Ram, AMD on chip graphics. Windows 7 Ultimate

As I understand it, better performance is related to Dovetail re-compiling the source code with the current compiler. I have a very modest system (details below) and have both FSX Acceleration and Steam installed. The steam install is running much smoother with the sliders quite high. I am locked at 30 FPS on both and the Steam install looks a lot better with no jerks and stutters on the same flights. I am sure each system is different, but a recent article I read in PcPilot also showed better performance with the Steam version.

AMD A10-5800K at 3.4 GHZ, 8 GB Ram, AMD on chip graphics. Windows 7 Ultimate

Archived