View outside aircraft

dempsey

Hi, when loading certain aircraft for flight. I can only get an outside view from left rear or left front - cannot view aircraft I'm flying from any other angle - difficult to line-up the runway! Any ideas, please?

For your outside view are you selecting Locked Spot?

You better hope that on your next real world flight your captain is sitting in his pilot's seat when trying to line up the runway! :pilot:

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

No - unlocked. I found a post which suggested using the Space Bar and Mouse.

Going back to FS2004, you could use the number pad (Num Lock on) to view around the aircraft - is this not possible in FSX?

No - unlocked. I found a post which suggested using the Space Bar and Mouse.

Going back to FS2004, you could use the number pad (Num Lock on) to view around the aircraft - is this not possible in FSX?

It's the same when in Locked Spot View. Spacebar+mouse to view all around the aircraft.

Panning is done with "shift + numpad"

numpad alone moves ailerons, elevator etc.

If you want to check the assignments: open menu bar by pressing alt, then click - options - settings controls - keyboard assignments.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Panning is done with "shift + numpad"

numpad alone moves ailerons, elevator etc.

If you want to check the assignments: open menu bar by pressing alt, then click - options - settings controls - keyboard assignments.

The number pad is views with the num lock lit, and controls with num lock unlit.

If the num lock is lit, all the number pad keys should control the view.

And space bar+ mouse also works in FSX. On most keyboards num lock is north

of number pad 7.

Key 'S' cycles the views to external, then I just pan around with the hat switch from there

Also the "A" key will give different variations, directions, etc of the various "S" key

settings. IE: From the VC view, one click of "S" goes to the external views..

Hitting "A", will cycle from non fixed side views, to locked side views, to spot view,

and then an overhead view or sumtin like that.. And start over.. Same with each

"S" key selection. IE: "A" will select various tower views if more than one is available,

"A" will select various cabin views for some planes, etc.. In the VC, "A" will select the

various VC views if more than one is available. Fer instance, the 737NGX will cycle

from captains side to F/O's side to overhead views to radio panel view, etc..

Most all views can be zoomed in or out if you click on the view with the mouse, and

then use keyboard - or +, or use spacebar+mouse wheel.

BTW the best place to "line up" the runway is in the cockpit.

The cockpit view is troublesome to use in many airplanes that do not have a VC, as some freeware aircraft do not, because the 2D panel doesn't allow looking around, the eyepoint is not adjustable and the glareshield completely obstructs the view of the runway when on the GS in normal approach attitude.

I personally prefer to use exterior views almost all the time, including lining up with the runway on visual approaches, because I enjoy watching the aircraft do its thing and it makes it super-easy to take spur-of-the-moment screenshots.

So I suggest that "the best place to line up the runway" might vary with personal preferences and when flying various different aircraft.

i7-10700K @3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super 8GB, 2x SSDs

The cockpit view is troublesome to use in many airplanes that do not have a VC, as some freeware aircraft do not, because the 2D panel doesn't allow looking around, the eyepoint is not adjustable and the glareshield completely obstructs the view of the runway when on the GS in normal approach attitude.

When in a 2D cockpit you can hit and hold down CTRL+Q to raise the horizon view to see the runway better for landing. I use the 2D cockpit more than I do a VC.

When in a 2D cockpit you can hit and hold down CTRL+Q to raise the horizon view to see the runway better for landing. I use the 2D cockpit more than I do a VC.

Me Too! I do that with two side screens based on wing views. It creates an almost 180* view point.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I too fly with the 2D cockpit much more than the VC, and I hate that I can't do approaches using it because I can't see the runway.

I tried holding Ctrl+Q and it did seem to lower the 2D panel, so thanks! I'm currently in the enroute segment of a flight from Narita to Kai Tak :D so it'll be a while before I can try it on an approach.

i7-10700K @3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super 8GB, 2x SSDs

When you can't see the runway when in 2D panel view, hit the 'W' key to get the mini gauges and clear view of what is in front of you.

Flying in 'outside view' is best done in 'LOCKED SPOT' view as using 'SPOT' view makes it almost impossible to do landings due to it having 'momentum effect' built in. You can map a joy key to 'snap to' locked spot view. Just like you can map a key to 'snap to' 2D panel view. One needs the FSX Key Commands list to sort things out.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived