Problems with Fllight Simulator X from 2006

In 2012 I was offered the Fllight Simulator X from 2006. I was a big fan of what this simulator can provide in every respect. For now I do not want to purchase the most current version because I would have to buy another computer with technical and graphic requirements that I do not need. The computer I have is perfectly enough for what I need. I'm not a gaming consumer.

The problem is Fllight Simulator X from 2006, announces in the box compatibility with Windows XP or Windows Vista. In fact I used Windows Vista which meanwhile became obsolete because Microsoft stopped providing updates. I had to install Windows 10. With this operating system the simulator does not work well and presents problems that Vista updates solved (service pack 3). Ex: some aircraft have strange behaviors because they do not react to flaps, do not lose altitude, on the runway the joystick does not divert the direction of the plane, etc.

Very grateful would be if someone knew if there is any solution for this simulator to work with Windows 10.

Thank you very much

JPSA

Very grateful would be if someone knew if there is any solution for this simulator to work with Windows 10.

Thank you very much

JPSA

Sure, I can try to offer some insight in how to get FSX to work in Windows 10. Trust me when I tell you you're not the only one that has made a similar post, and the typical responses are all on about how the poster is not correct in that FSX or FS2004 doesn't work under Windows 10. I could run a massive search with a tool here on my computer through Google and procure a flipping three page PDF on all the threads started from users having issues with FSX and FS2004 using Windows 10.

Basically, Windows 10 has more built-in protections than previous OSs which in my opinion is the primary reason behind legacy Sims not behaving like they should. One of the biggest from Vista on up is gonna have to be making sure you install the Sim outside of the programs folder and on the root of C drive or another drive. So your path would look like this as an example: C:\FSX. Many virtual pilots already know this, but not all. Especially for those that have taken a years worth hiatus from the Sim.

Here are a few tips on installing FSX for the first time. https://www.nmgsimulations.co.za/support/knowledge-base/installing-flight-simulator-x-the-correct-way/

You'll also want to use compatibility mode for XP. To do that you'd right click the FSX.exe file (or shortcut) and go into properties and look for compatibility.

You might want to try windowed mode for the game. To do that you go into FSX's settings and find the windowed mode option. If memory serves, I did it from the menu bar above by pressing the Alt key to display the menu bar. And in one of those drop down menus was the option to use windowed mode. I guess pressing the Alt plus Enter keys in game will do it as well.

I've never ran FSX in Windows 10, but I do believe you need to install DirectX 9c. Yes, you already have a DirectX installed, but you need to have version 9c installed. And yes, you can have more than one installed. What ever game or program that depends on that version will use that version. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

You might also want to turn off UAC. To do that you should be able to type in the Windows search facility the letters UAC and from there you can turn it completely off. It's not even going to stop malware, I'll assure you of that. There are many types of malicious software that bypass UAC like nothing. I turned that crap off the very first time I installed Windows 7 many years ago. I honestly think Microsoft is just trying to mimic user accounts in Linux but doing a very bad job at it. LOL The Linux user account system is massively different.

That's about all I can think of right now on trying to get FSX to run in Windows 10. Just know that an eventual "update" will probably hose all of your efforts right out the windows. It's why I'll strip all that nonsense functionality out when I eventually install Windows 10 on a separate hard drive. I don't really require updates unless they're for hardware or software needs. More on that in the following paragraph.

Just so you know, don't buy into this fallacy (yes, fallacy) that just because an OS doesn't get updates anymore it's somehow obsolete over night. Without getting into massive details and to be concise, if you were to have another hard drive for a dual boot configuration (I use a Kingwin 5.25 bay HDD selector) of XP and Windows 10 (motherboard drivers outstanding) and you only used XP for the Sim or legacy applications with certain security hygiene in mind, there should be no reason once so ever some Time Warner owned Guy Fawkes mask wearing "hacker" will own your computer or you somehow magically contract an Internet STD (malware). I'm telling you this due to personal experience and my knowledge. I used to run XP on a Dell netbook that was on 24/7 who's sole function was to interpret the caller-ID data from a USB connected dial-up modem for a program that acted as a firewall of sorts for my landline telephone that filtered spam callers and whatnot (the other layer is Nomorobo. I don't hand out the cell number to just anyone. You get the landline ( •̀ᴗ•́ )و ̑̑). For years I ran that Config. and I never once got "hacked" or contracted malware.

Case in point: it's all on how YOU the user uses the computer and how you browse the Internet and your security hygiene withen all seven layers of the OSI model. Of course, if you're not as tech savvy as I am or some others then you could probably expect some issues. Also, I currently run Windows 7 and there's been no magical malware or any of the sort. I know because I make whole disk clones and scan that clone in an offline live environment among other things. And I do run a pretty tight ship to the best that I can absent of the needed patronage to the patch Tuesday god of Microsoft. And get this. I only have but four or so updates just for software and hardware needs. LOL I think there's more to those "updates" than what meets the eye... but that's just me. I really don't care what others say when they lambast me with BS trying to school me and take on some micro expertise because of their psyche of a when in Rome consciousness that falsely claims absolution in the sense they are more "secure". Never mind the statistics of CVEs (Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures) versus that of Windows 7 in a given time period.

To make a point here. There are people waaay smarter than the consumer and that's precisely why they have untold billions tied up in stock and held in overseas accounts and what not. Some are so rich they can fund CIA operations and what not off the books. LOL! I know that sounds like gold platted tin foil hat nonsense, but thoroughly research Howard Hughes or Jeff Bezos as two quick examples. Not saying there's something wrong with being rich, making a profit, etc. The problem lies in how you obtain the capital and what you do with it. For me it would be massive. I would first hire a few tutors to help me learn things I don't understand (think private professors or something) and I'd try to create a cryptocurrency for charities like St. Jude and what not all powered from electrical production ideas I have that are way more efficient. No, not lead and other chemical crap laden solar or wind. I'm talking from the generator on up.

Anyway... I'm like a metaphysical typist. LOL

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

FSX does run under Windows, as many in the forums here will attest to.

One of the first steps is to make sure the sim is installed outside of the default location to somewhere such as C:\FSX. Doing so helps avoid permissions issues with add-ons and editing config files etc., without messing with Windows/UAC.

Do you have the latest drivers for your hardware? What joystick do you have? Actually, what are your computer specs in general?