FSX:SE- To Tweak, or Not To Tweak; That Is The Question...

HoggyDog

You should not use any cfg tweaking tools or techniques on the Steam version [of FSX] which is already optimized.

-Pv-

(NOTE: the above quote is from another recent thread, but I wanted to pose the question as a separate thread to avoid hijacking the other one).

I, too, had heard that tweaking FSX:SE was unnecessary and/or ill-advised, but then, I found this on the Steam forums.

Is there a clear consensus on this yet, or are there still a lot of divergent opinions?

i7-10700K @3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super 8GB, 2x SSDs

A lot depends on your skill since everything you do is experimental.

The tweaks Steam already offers as standard beyond the cfg configuration MS offered as standard in the original boxed distribution are those which the Steam developer considered safe and useful for most people. I think most of us boxed folks who have been around for a while and have stable systems are using these same tweaks.

I assume what you are really asking is if there are standard, reliable tweaks known to work for everyone beyond those already offered in Steam.

Since every piece of hardware is going to respond differently, and everyone's software/hardware testing skill is different, taking into consideration the tweaks which most people are agreeing on now after eight years of experimenting is pretty much what is now offered on Steam, if there is any new and radically innovative adjustments which propel FSX to new heights of unprecedented glory, I'm afraid it's up to you to discover at your risk.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

propel FSX to new heights of unprecedented glory

Exactly. That's what I'm trying to do: make a 10-year-old piece of somewhat poorly-written software that's running just fine for me (with some minor exceptions) perform like the latest 3D game released last month. :p

Kidding aside, thanks, that's pretty much what I figured. I'll leave my cfg alone.

i7-10700K @3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super 8GB, 2x SSDs

Archived