How do I get my Ukmil Harrier to go VTOL?

Hey,

I recently downloaded the Ukmil Harrier and I can't seem to make it hover or do anything VTOL, can any body help me?

Here is the link to this nice airplane. http://www.rikoooo.com/en/downloads/viewdownload/65/588

Thanks in advance,

HD25

System specs: AMD FTX 6300 six core processor 3.5 GHz, Video card Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 Ti 2 GB on board,

Windows 8.1 64 bit and 1 TB on hard drive.

I guess the one in our File Library had cooties or something? I remember something to the effect that you had to have Acceleration for some of the controls that were needed. Also to have low fuel in the tanks. This was a a payware Harrier I think.

ukmharr.zip

Of course it said to go to the UKMIL site and read the online manual. The Harrier manual was not available.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

OK, got an update for ya! Full Flaps and full power. You will immediately leap into the air so be ready to raise your gear and start your flaps going up in increments. Reduce power as you start your climb.

I use the following "VTOL Gauge" on my Harrier , it is available freeware at this site's

file library.

In my case to get vertical take off and landing , I have to reduce the fuel load a little.

Following is file detail:

FSX - FSX Panels

FSX Gauge--VTOL/Hover For Sigma/Iris Harrier

[ Download | View ]

Name: rcbvcb10.zip

Size: 279,454 Date: 03-18-2007 Downloads: 1,766

FSX Gauge--VTOL/Hover For Sigma/Iris Harrier. This freeware gauge adds new VTOL and hover features to the FS2004 payware Sigma/Iris Harrier. Besides true vertical takeoff and landing, it allows you to fly forward, backward, sideways and turn, while in a hover. This solution is based on overriding the normal FS flight dynamics while in a hover; in short, it's a VTOL and hover FDE coded in a gauge. Special thanks to Doug Dawson, who created a gauge that provides for overriding FSX variables from an XML gauge. Requires FSUIPC4 (registered or unregistered, not included). The readme includes extensive installation and flying instructions, including how to port your FS2004 version of the Harrier to FSX. Besides the VTOL gauge, it also adds a fuel dump/load gauge, a gauge that lets you change the vertical ViewDirection in the 2D cockpit, and replacements for two FSX-incompatible gauges in the original Harrier package. By Rob Barendregt.

Cheers Karol

Just tried that, does not work please help, It will not go bellow 60 knots.:mad:

I put the new gauges into it, is there something I have to put in the panel.cfg file?

This is very frustrating.:(

System specs: AMD FTX 6300 six core processor 3.5 GHz, Video card Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 Ti 2 GB on board,

Just tried that, does not work please help, It will not go bellow 60 knots.:mad:

I put the new gauges into it, is there something I have to put in the panel.cfg file?

This is very frustrating.:(

From that suggested download, all I saw was a new panel folder and aircraft.cfg relating to Sigma/Iris Harrier. I would assume that you place the panel folder into the aircraft folder and try to jury-rig your [fltsim.xx] from the original .cfg into the new .cfg. It looked like more trouble than it was worth.

OK, I tried this puppy one more time! Please not that the download from Rikooo.com was 42.2 MB and the one from our Library is 58.085MB. I may be comparing Apple to Oranges here! I took 2 screenies while doing a VTOL and used a combination of flaps and thrust to takeoff straight up and slightly backwards and then slight banks and less flaps to move forward again. Then finally less thrust to put 'er back down.

harrier.JPG

harrier1.JPG

So should I reinstall it with the one from the library here or jury-rig the old one?

Are you able to hover right now at 0 knots?

So should I reinstall it with the one from the library here or jury-rig the old one?

Are you able to hover right now at 0 knots?

A little busy keeping it afloat, but if you mean forward speed of 0 knots, I would say pretty darn close. I don't think these freeware aircraft are nearly as good at doing this as the payware ones. My 2nd screenie was a couple of seconds before touching back down on the runway. Pretty much 0 knots forward or reverse speed.

Quote: '..if you mean forward speed of 0 knots, I would say pretty darn close.'

Close is only in horseshoes. So you were at '0 kts', stoped, and hovering, before you dropped down onto runway? NO? OK, I misunderstood you then.

I can 'hover' my Harrier at 10 kts (level, hands off, 0 power, not on AP) ALL DAY by use of + pitch trim. I have no need to go backwards, or left/right. But I can manuver with rudder for heading changes (ie: to align with runway / helipad). I don't need no stinking gauges (hehe).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Quote: '..if you mean forward speed of 0 knots, I would say pretty darn close.'

Close is only in horseshoes. So you were at '0 kts', stoped, and hovering, before you dropped down onto runway? NO? OK, I misunderstood you then.

I can 'hover' my Harrier at 10 kts (level, hands off, 0 power, not on AP) ALL DAY by use of + pitch trim. I have no need to go backwards, or left/right. But I can manuver with rudder for heading changes (ie: to align with runway / helipad). I don't need no stinking gauges (hehe).

Chuck B

Napamule

Yes Chuck, hovering in one spot, decreasing power until the wheels touched down and I bounced around since I wasn't too delicate in my speed control. Now are you using the freeware UKMIL Harrier available in the File Library?

P.S. all flying was done in Locked Spot View. This one's a little too spooky to be sitting in the cockpit for VTOL.

Quote: '..too spooky to be sitting in the cockpit for VTOL.'

This is where our flying differs. I can land from 2D by pressing 'W' key (or VC). I can see the ground coming up at me. But I don't 'JUST' cut the throttle, I reduce and increase as needed. It WILL come down-but I use the trottle to dictates at what rate. It's not sudden.

Quote: '..decreasing power until the wheels touched down.'

Like I said, our flying the Harrier differs. I can have 50% power yet be coming down at whatever rate I want. How? I use flaps for 'lift' and spoiler for 'drag'. With the spoiler deployed, taking away 1 of flaps will bring it down GRADUALLY, even with 50% throttle. Want less descent?-give it more throttle. Want more descent?-take away 1 of flaps -OR- reduce throttle. All depends. I play it by ear. If I change my mind and want to go-around, I remove the spoiler, remove flaps (gradually), and I'm off. There are a couple more 'details' but that, in a nutshell, is it.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I have both the freeware IRIS Harrier and F-35B each with VTOL gauges installed.

I have "Incremental flaps increase and decrease assigned to switch control buttons on my joystick to control the VTOL function in steps.

I progressively click flaps to to the second last position to direct thrust vertically down , then go to full throttle thrust to take off , I push the stick forward a little to aid initial break away from the ground .

Airborne flaps/VTOL back to generate forward motion.

The final flaps/VTOL click produces rearward motion (if desired).

With practice it is easy to go up or down or hover at 0 knots , and using rudder pedals rotate the nose in a full circle over the same spot on the ground.

It is a matter of becoming accustomed to using :-

- the Flaps/VTOL

- the throttle

- the rudder

in a co ordinated manner , it doesn't take long to get used to flying in this manner , about half an hour or so.

With a little practice you will become extremely precise with the aircraft.

For fun try the following,

- land on hardened rooftops , there is a hardened rooftop in New York that is 1,000' above street level.

- at an airport with a large open fronted hangar approach the opening at a slow forward speed about 4-6' above ground , when in the hangar stop the forward motion , then using rudder turn on the spot through 180 degrees , then slowly move forward till again completely out of the hangar.

These VTOL aircraft are absolutely incredible , and a load of fun.

Enjoy

Cheers

Karol

• 2 years later...

@hornetdriver25

Hi,

VTOL of (Sea) Harrier by UKMIL requisites:

. working FSCUIP in Sim must be installed.

. Aircraft weight should NOT exceed ca. 21000 lbs (use Payload)

. Flaps between 80-90% (in 2D panel)

. Use rudder controls in VTOL mode for heading change.

HTH.

• 5 months later...

no flaps is standard forward flight, and slowly deploy one notch at a time of flaps to slowly make your way into landing mode. I would recommend you not go into full flaps untill you are directly above the location on which you are hoping to land on.

Hope this helps!

Archived