loading previous flight freezes at 86%

sagamol

I searched the internet and found a couple of articles about this problem, but they were too technical for me. If i change the departure airport in free flight after starting FSX, it will load fine. but if i don't change location it will load until the traffic tries to load and FSX freezes at exactly 86% every time. I am not sure why?

any suggestions ??

Thanks, Tom

Windows10 64bit

GeForce GTX 1060

Seagate Hard Drive 1 TB, 750 W Powersply

CPU I7-7700 3.6 GHZ 8 GB RAM

You could restore the default flight (ultralight over friday harbor).

with fsx shut down, open the fsx.cfg file.

find the line:

situation="name of your saved default flight"

change that to:

situation=

close and save.

start fsx.

your default flight will be back to ultralight over friday harbor.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This could also be an indication you have a traffic AI problem if you have traffic and/or AI model add-ons.

Also try loading other saved flights.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

I restored to the default flight, still no go. the IA i have is from ORBX, since I have FTX NA and NCA installed

Windows10 64bit

GeForce GTX 1060

I start with the trike at Friday Harbor, but only if I change location, the sim will load past the 86% mark.

Windows10 64bit

GeForce GTX 1060

Reducing graphic detail and AI are the most effective way to speed up load times.

If high densityscenery is what is most important to you, then you have to live with the load times.

The amount of data vs load times compared to disk fragmentation contributing to load times is about 100/1 (estimated.)

Depending on the age of your drive, you can greatly reduce its service life by defragging too often. The FSX files on your drive only get re-fragmented if their size on the disk changes. For most of us, once an FS file gets installed onto our drive, it rarely if ever changes size, so does not need to be repeatedly defragged.

Since I'm working on developing aircraft about 95% of the time I'm using FSX, I work almost exclusively with saved flights and use the restore/reset feature a LOT.

Some days I can restore a flight all day long hundreds of times and the flight will load smoothly and quickly. At random intervals (maybe once a day, week or month) the load display will stop at 80% exactly and sit there for exactly 16 seconds, then boom done. When this happens, it will continue to do this every time I load the flight.

When I see this, I close FS and restart it and load the same flight. It will then load quickly again and may continue to load quickly for the next 2 - 1000 or more resets.

Sine this is a very minor inconvenience, I have no trouble living with it.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

thank you for all the advise. when it freezes at 86%, it will stay there, I have gone and watched a 30 minute sitcom and when I got back it was still at 86%. so, I think I should just put up with it and load the default flight every time, and then more to where I want to go to...

Windows10 64bit

GeForce GTX 1060

^^^

That's basically what I do. I have a large library of saved flights loading my favorite aircraft at airport parking where I frequent, cold and dark. I then move the plane to another location.

If it's only ONE saved flight that's causing problems, then deleting it and creating a new one might solve the problem.

However, I think most people agree FSX automatically loading a saved flight at startup is often problematic and it's best to load saved flights manually from the start a flight menu.

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like something is either missing or corrupted. I've always used saved flights

as the startup and have never had problems. I never use the default FSX start flight..

My normal startup flight is at a local airport, and I load the trike as it's low resource

as a start plane.

I think I would first delete the fsx.cfg and totally start over. It will write a new cfg

file, and reset to the default startup trike flight. If that cranks up OK, then I would

make a new startup flight from scratch and save it as the start flight if that is what

you want.

Then see if that starts OK. It should as long as it doesn't have trouble trying to find

a file, which shouldn't really be the case if everything runs when you make the new

flight.

If starting over doesn't cure it, note at what load process it's stalling at at 86%..

IE: is that still scenery, or is it the start of weather or traffic. Those are the last

processes to load. That might give you a clue if something is corrupted, or what is

the issue. I think 86% is near or to the end of scenery loading, and that might be

about the point where it goes to weather or traffic..

If you still can't get it to start right after various tinkering, I'd do a FSX repair, or a

re-install to overwrite any possibly corrupted files.

Keep the old install, but rename the present FSX folder to something else.

Then reinstall the new copy into a folder with the same name as the old one.

Then you can copy over all your add on stuff, and it should still have the right registry

entries. Or you could re-install that stuff if you wanted fresh files.

here is what I did so far. I deleted the entry in the CFG Situation=

I uninstalled the FTX GA IA files from ORBX through the add/remove control panel.

I made sure no IA planes are left in the Simobjects folder.

i changed the Orbx scenery ( NA + NCA ) back to the default senery ( FSX).

so now FSX starts out at Friday Harbor with the trike and when I try to load it, it will freeze at 86%. If I change the airport to anything else then the default, it will load fine and so it goes.!

Windows10 64bit

GeForce GTX 1060

I'd try a whole new fsx.cfg, not just the startup flight entry. I'd rename the old one

and let it make a brand new one. That way it takes a fresh look at your hardware, etc..

Also, you don't want to delete any of the FSX default AI planes just in case

one tries to load into the traffic on startup. Kind of sounds like it's trying to find a file

in the startup flight and it's not there. Or it's trying to set up a hardware cfg it doesn't

like. If you let it make a fresh fsx.cfg and it still won't start, I'd probably repair or reinstall

fsx to make sure no default files are missing or corrupted.

And make sure you are looking at fsx.cfg and not at the fsx.cfg.txt file.

fsx.cfg.txt is a textfile that has no effect what so ever on how fsx runs. But the contents are identical, and they are in the same folder, so it is easy to mistake one file for the other.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh, as a test, to test if the friday harbour area is the problem, can you load a flight at kfhr (friday harbour airport), and fly in the surrounding area?

If yes, it is something else. Traffic, weather, or possibly an addon starting in the background and getting blocked by your firewall program come to mind.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived