Need recommendations for a way to fix all my empty airports

HoggyDog

I am trying to fix the problem of empty airports. I seldom even have any parked airliners at major hubs (Atlanta, Chicago, NY, SF, etc.) and I NEVER see anything else taxiing, landing or taking off. I hear lots of traffic on the various ATC freqs, but I never see anyone. I just seem to have all of these high-traffic airports all to myself, which is really weird.

At the same time, I see airborne traffic all the time... ATC even vectors some of them to cut in front of me on final as I fly an ILS :mad: But they never seem to visibly land, taxi or take off from any airport I'm on. Very odd.

I have done several searches, and have seen addons that *allow* me to manually place parked airliners, which is not what I want. I'm looking for something that just generates appropriate parked, taxiing, landing and departing traffic at airports, which means no 747s on 1500-foot grass strips, etc. etc.

I tried library searches here, but I don't know which category to look in, and just using "AI" and "traffic" as search terms generates hundreds of hits, mostly for various skins to be used with this or that named-but-not-defined program.

Can someone give me a recommendation for some way to fix all or even just some of the empty airports in FSX without having to hand-place specific airplanes in specific parking spots at particular airports, which is a whole lot of trouble and still doesn't fix the missing "moving traffic" problem? I would particularly like to find something that would work with addon-scenery for airports as well as for unmodified FSX airports, and be compatible with GEX/UTX.

i7-10700K @3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super 8GB, 2x SSDs

This is not normal. If they are flying they should also be landing.

Adding more traffic is not the solution for this. (Though woai is great.)

2 possible causes:

If you are using addon traffic. Those planes are sometimes invisible if 'show shadows on ground' and 'show shadows on aircraft' are selected in options - settings - graphics. (Default traffic this is no problem.)

Or, maybe a terrain addon has changed the elevations of all airports. That could cause issues. Those global (regional) addons usually have some option to correct the elevations in their own menu.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is not normal. If they are flying they should also be landing.

Adding more traffic is not the solution for this. (Though woai is great.)

2 possible causes:

If you are using addon traffic. Those planes are sometimes invisible if 'show shadows on ground' and 'show shadows on aircraft' are selected in options - settings - graphics. (Default traffic this is no problem.)

Or, maybe a terrain addon has changed the elevations of all airports. That could cause issues. Those global (regional) addons usually have some option to correct the elevations in their own menu.

I'm not using any addon traffic as of this moment, although based on Mr. Zippy's testimonial, I'm going to get WOAI and see what happens. I do have both "show shadows" options you mentioned enabled, so thanks for the tip- if WOAI generates super-stealthy airliners :D I'll try disabling those to see if that fixes it.

I'm running UTX and GEX only, plus 3 airport-overhaul addons (KATL, KECP, KPNS). As far as I know, none of those changes airport elevations, although KECP is a completely new airport not included in FSX, so yeah, I guess "added brand new" would be the same thing as "changed elevation." But even at "stock FSX" airports, I have no visible traffic on the ground.

I use WOAI and have those shadow thingies checked, so WOAI ain't affected by it. Keep in mind that WOAI flight plans are in FS2004 format and will cancel out most or all of FSX default traffic. The flight plans can be adjusted to remedy that if you need to.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Interesting thread because I have been thinking on this. I upgraded Chicago ORD to include new runway and gates, etc from freeware. Since then, FSX shows all kind of activity for aircraft approaches and radio talk, but as to actual traffic at the gates, it is non-existent. So, for uploading the new freeware, I sacrificed the FSX gate traffic. Is there is any fix for this??

John R

Interesting thread because I have been thinking on this. I upgraded Chicago ORD to include new runway and gates, etc from freeware. Since then, FSX shows all kind of activity for aircraft approaches and radio talk, but as to actual traffic at the gates, it is non-existent. So, for uploading the new freeware, I sacrificed the FSX gate traffic. Is there is any fix for this??

John R

What update did you use?

Hi Doug,

WOAI is indeed a superb traffic addon for both FSX and FS9. It is probably the best freeware traffic addon and one of the best there are, both freeware and payware. I'm not sure your "invisibility" issue has anything to do with your [default] traffic being too scarce, but in any case, a program like WOAI is a must have, it tremendously changes the FS environment. If you want, you can read my short review on WOAI here.

Best Regards,

D

kk2Hq8Xj_o.jpg

Just make sure that all your AI flight plans are FSX, as many, including those from WOAI, come as FS9 in the package. One tool you can use is AIFP 3, available here:

http://stuff4fs.com/newpage.asp?Folder=AIFP

Go to the "Latest General Release" option on the left side and install it. When installed and you run it, go to "Bulk Traffic" on the top menu, and select "Find FS9 Traffic Files", indicate the disk(s) you want it to search, and it will find any FS9 traffic files and then offer to convert them for you.

Jorgen

It sure is affected. Depends on the airport scenery amongst other stuff.

From a previous post : https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?285719-AI-Planes-not-shoing&p=1895263#post1895263

Wim

Sorry, I'll re-phrase that....Not affected in my Sim at Any Airport I've tried so far, default or addon scenery airport. Possibly if using payware airport scenery, the AI may be affected by those settings.

Just make sure that all your AI flight plans are FSX, as many, including those from WOAI, come as FS9 in the package. One tool you can use is AIFP 3, available here:

http://stuff4fs.com/newpage.asp?Folder=AIFP

Go to the "Latest General Release" option on the left side and install it. When installed and you run it, go to "Bulk Traffic" on the top menu, and select "Find FS9 Traffic Files", indicate the disk(s) you want it to search, and it will find any FS9 traffic files and then offer to convert them for you.

Jorgen

Talk about helpful! It worked a treat, as our UK brethren say... converted 26 of my newly downloaded FS9 files at once, with no more trouble than a download, extract, launch and 3 mouse clicks.

As info, not ALL of the WOAI packages I found/installed were FS9-style... several of them are available in both FS9 and FSX versions.

Anyway, your recommendation is brilliant- just brilliant. Thank you SO much for this!

I'm very glad it worked.

AIFP is one of the more nifty tools I have come across, it will also help you to install AI that does not come as complete packages.

Here's a link to another great tool, that lets you check your AI aircraft, plus tons of other things:

http://www.owlsnest.eu/tools.php

The tool is the top one on the page, the AI aircraft editor. It showed me tons of errors in my AI aircraft.

Since you probably want your military airfields populated also, AI packages for military aircraft can be found here:

http://www.militaryaiworks.com

And here are a couple of sites where you can find more flight plans, which you'll have to install using AIFP:

http://unitedtrafficteam.com

http://flyingcarpet75.com

Beware, though, that it's easy to install duplicate flight plans, so before you install, search your scenery\world\scenery for the airline name you're going to install to avoid this. I had a duplicate myself once and found two Airbus 320s flying in fighter-type close formation - I mean REALLY close - near Heathrow.....

Have fun with this - you have enough to do now for the next couple of months!

Jorgen

Freeware WOAI populates my airports pretty well.

http://www.world-of-ai.com/packages.php

Thank you for this recommendation! I installed almost all of the available United States airlines, hoping to generate a mix of traffic at pretty much any (airline) airport I go into.

Then I loaded up my default flight, a Delta B737 at Gate A1 at KATL, Delta Airlines' HQ. Voilà! My previously empty ramp was transformed into this:

KATL Delta Ramp.png

In addition, I heard a BUNCH of ATC chatter to airlines I never heard them talking to before, so that part worked too. Now if I can just get all those spiffy airliners to taxi, land and take off I'll be ecstatic. Maybe this will happen now that I (just) converted all the FS9 flight plans per jorgen.s.andersen's brilliant suggestion.

EDIT to add: Brilliant! I tested this at Atlanta and Pensacola, two airports I have addon scenery for, and found that I now have traffic everywhere- on the ramps, taxiing around, landing, taking off.... sadly, it doesn't necessarily match what ATC is saying (I was instructed to go around at 100 feet AGL on short final :confused: but there was nothing visible on or approaching the runway).

Thanks again for the help!

What update did you use?

This is a description--

KORD - Chicago-O'Hare Intl, Illinois by Robert Catherall

This airport update is for Prepar3D and reflects the current changes taking place at the airport with two optional files made only for the Prepar3D default airport: one version with the Crosswind runways operating where all 8 runways will be used for takeoff/landing and one version as the default runway operation: the new runway 10C/28C now added and ILS included for it, taxiways and taxi signs updated to the latest charts, assigned parking as per their website with extra parking including a gate for the A380, the new southwest cargo ramp updated, extra fuel trucks, support vehicle roads rebuilt and many other improvements, airport views are from inside the control tower (when in tower view) please view the readme before installation

John R

Use this download instead. It's for FSX.

FSX - FSX Scenery

FSX Scenery--Chicago-O'Hare International Airport

[ Download | View ]

Name: fsx_kord_rs.zip

Size: 1,049,958 Date: 10-24-2013 Downloads: 4,092

FSX Scenery--Chicago-O'Hare International Airport (KORD), Illinois (IL), USA. This airport update reflects the current changes taking place at the airport with two optional files made only for the FSX default airport: one version with the crosswind runways operating where all eight runways will be used for takeoff/landing and one version as the default runway operation. The new runway 10C/28C now added and ILS included for it, taxiways and taxi signs updated to the latest charts, assigned parking as per their website with extra parking including a gate for the A380, the new southwest cargo ramp updated, extra fuel trucks, support vehicle roads rebuilt and many other improvements, airport views are from inside the control tower (when in tower view). By Ray Smith.

WOAI is indeed a superb traffic addon for both FSX and FS9. It is probably the best freeware traffic addon and one of the best there are, both freeware and payware.

I installed 30-35 WOAI packs (pretty much all available U.S. airlines), converted the old FS9 files that came with some of them to FSX, and, just as you said, it tremendously changed my FSX environment.

Thank you.

I installed 30-35 WOAI packs (pretty much all available U.S. airlines), converted the old FS9 files that came with some of them to FSX, and, just as you said, it tremendously changed my FSX environment.

Thank you.

Don't ignore the major foreign carriers like KLM, Air France, British Airways, etc. They all fly into the major U.S. Airports. Also the Cargo Airlines UPS, FedEx, DHL.

Use this download instead. It's for FSX.

FSX - FSX Scenery

FSX Scenery--Chicago-O'Hare International Airport

[ Download | View ]

Name: fsx_kord_rs.zip

Size: 1,049,958 Date: 10-24-2013 Downloads: 4,092

FSX Scenery--Chicago-O'Hare International Airport (KORD), Illinois (IL), USA. This airport update reflects the current changes taking place at the airport with two optional files made only for the FSX default airport: one version with the crosswind runways operating where all eight runways will be used for takeoff/landing and one version as the default runway operation. The new runway 10C/28C now added and ILS included for it, taxiways and taxi signs updated to the latest charts, assigned parking as per their website with extra parking including a gate for the A380, the new southwest cargo ramp updated, extra fuel trucks, support vehicle roads rebuilt and many other improvements, airport views are from inside the control tower (when in tower view). By Ray Smith.

MrZippy,

Do I need to back out the other add-ons? Or do I just proceed with the new one--over the previous add-ons? This is a complicated one given I would not know for sure what to delete or keep if, in fact, your recommendation is not just an "Overwrite."

Thanks for your help on this!!!!!!!

MrZippy,

Do I need to back out the other add-ons? Or do I just proceed with the new one--over the previous add-ons? This is a complicated one given I would not know for sure what to delete or keep if, in fact, your recommendation is not just an "Overwrite."

Thanks for your help on this!!!!!!!

Well, if you used the Prepar3d, then yes, I would recommend deleting that before installing a new one. You always do an addon over a default airport but should not really over-write another addon. 2 addons for the same thing can cause weird graphics issues.

Archived