Default FSX aircraft fixes?

Hi,

I prefer not to use pop up windows but instead replace them with new "cameras" where possible or appropriate.

I've been modifying the default DC3 and have found several problems.

This is an image of the VC with the view moved to look down so that the fuel selectors are visible. And the 2D pop up is also shown:

2015-3-4_9-2-59-496.jpg

In the 2D window, with the mouse cursor in any quadrant clicking will cause the fuel selector to point appropriately on either selector. In the VC clicking on the left selector will cause the pointer to rotate counter-clockwise until "Aux" is reached and then back to "Off" to restart the cycle. I've tried programming key combinations to change this without success. Clicking on the right selector simply forces the left selector to go to "Left Main" and has no other effect.

The next images show the tail wheel lock handle and the boost pump switches the functions of which are opposite to what's indicated.

2015-3-4_9-7-15-56.jpg

2015-3-4_9-14-2-499.jpg

I suspect that correction of the problems would require changes to the model. Is anyone aware of a download that has these problems corrected or knows how to fix them?

Jim F.

You can reprogram the 2D gauges by extracting them from the douglas_dc3.cab, modifying, and recompiling the cab file. No payware needed to do this. The tools are simple but you'll need to read the FSX SDK documentation and learn to create/edit XML gauge files. Not that hard once you get used to it.

It's unclear how you want the 2D fuel gauge to work differently. I have flown this model a bunch and I just leave the fuel levers alone.

The 3D lever though cannot be changed without modifying the 3D mdl file and only the MS modelers could do this.

There are other DC3 models available if these minor defects are killers for you.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

There is no problem with the 2D panel other than I'd like to replace the functions with cameras in the VC as I stated. Which models are available that don't have these "minor defects" or are you just guessing? If you are guessing please make this clear and not send someone on a wild goose chase.

Well GUESSING of course. I KNOW there are other DC3 models out there and certainly every one of them is going to have it's own unique "artifacts"

I'm not going to be the judge as to what is acceptable to you. You will have to try them yourself. If you are asking if there is another model which functions and looks exactly like the default DC3 but these particular artifacts have had their behavior changed- no.

"I prefer not to use pop up windows but instead replace them with new "cameras" where possible or appropriate."

What do you mean "I'd like to replace the functions with cameras"?

I suspect you mean not using ANY 2D panels and instead create camera views for these same gauge locations in the 3D pit.

1) What is a function by your definition?

In programming, a "function"is a piece of code which controls program behavior.

If you don't like the way a gauge feature "behaves" a change of code is needed.

If you don't like the way a gauge "looks" then more often than not, again a change in code is necessary to perhaps replace a graphic element and/or adjust the code to use this new graphic element properly.

If by "function" you mean you don't like how a 2D or 3D gauge operates, changing a camera "view" will not fix it. Sometimes the same gauge is used in both a 2D view and the 3D view and sometimes they are separate gauges. Each plane is different.

Sometimes a 3D gauge (something which animates like a needle, switch or lever) is hard coded into the 3D model. In the case of the 3D pit lock handle above, this is the case.

It's very likely however the fuel tank levers in the 2D "popup" panel (which are 2D gauges) can be reprogrammed by anyone with elementary programming skill.

Every chase for something different in FS is a wild goose since not every solution or option works for everyone.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Hi,

I discovered that in the FS9 version of the DC-3 the fuel tank selectors in the VC both worked in the same fashion as the left selector in the FSX version; no inappropriate interaction. I suspect that when the single MDL in the FS9 was converted to the dual MDLs for FSX there were some coding errors. Also, the tail lock lever in the VC responds to a mouse click. I couldn't see any improvement to the DC-3 by having the dual MDLs so I've replaced them with the single FS9 one. Now I can replace the old popup 2D window with a VC camera. I prefer cycling through the VC cameras. I do have the trigger button on both my yoke and joystick set to "Look forward (3-D cockpit)" and another button set to cycle through the views within a category so it's easy to cycle through the various cameras until I get to the needed one. Once there I note the readings, make the adjustments or whatever and then press the trigger and I'm instantly returned to the VC looking straight forward.

I've made some other changes and haven't fully evaluated the effects of the modification but the major stumbling block has been eliminated.

Jim F.

Archived