How does one change livery in Vpilot

beany_bot

So I'm using vatsim, and Vpilot specifically. And I see all the other aircraft (easyjet, Ryanair etc etc) but I'm not sure how to put in my livery? Vpilot asks me for my ICAO code which I put in. (this will tell Vpilot what make and model of plane I'm flying) but where do I tell it what livery I am flying? Where does it get this information so that other users can see my correct plane in correct livery?

I asked the question...'how does my aircraft appear to other pilots...is it plain white or some sort of default livery?'..................and this is the response..........

In general, the answer to your question is - it depends on what pilot clients other pilots are using and how/if they have their model matching configurations set correctly.

The only influence you have on the process is selecting the correct callsign (e.g. using "BAW1" and not "SPEEDBIRD1", "DAL1" and not "DVA1", "SWA1" and not "WN1", etc.) and the correct aircraft ICAO code when you connect (e.g. "B738" and not "738", "B77L" and not "B77F", etc.).

I asked the question...'how does my aircraft appear to other pilots...is it plain white or some sort of default livery?'..................and this is the response..........

In general, the answer to your question is - it depends on what pilot clients other pilots are using and how/if they have their model matching configurations set correctly.

The only influence you have on the process is selecting the correct callsign (e.g. using "BAW1" and not "SPEEDBIRD1", "DAL1" and not "DVA1", "SWA1" and not "WN1", etc.) and the correct aircraft ICAO code when you connect (e.g. "B738" and not "738", "B77L" and not "B77F", etc.).

Ahh OK! so it would appear that it's setting your callsign that donates your livery thats displayed (assuming the person at the other end has the correct stuff installed). Good to know!

Would that be the IATA code or the ICAO code? For example would Flybe be BExxx or BEExxx? Edit, I think it must be the ICAO code i.e. BEExxxx

I got confused because aircraft make and models are designated by ICAO codes, but so are airlines and indeed airports!

So If I'm not mistaken, to crrectly display a FlyBe twin otter you would have

ICAO code = DHC6

Callsign = BEExxx (where x are your numbers)

Very confusing because if you look up "flight departures" at an airport, a different code again is displayed! i.e. BExxx (The IATA code I guess)

my oh my its not simple is it!

**** The software determines what model to load based on your flight plan which uses ICAO aircraft codes. See filing a flight plan in the Vpilot manual. ****

I see you made the switch from SB: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?288177-DeBug-Assertion-failed

Take a look at the manual and support forums for Vpilot I linked in the thread above. These will be a quicker and more informative resource than here since there are many more experienced Vpilot and Vatsim users there.

The online manual has a large section on model matching:

http://vpilot.metacraft.com/Documentation.aspx#model-matching

As already mentioned above, how well other players look to you and you to them is highly dependent on the add-on and multiplayer/AI aircraft (often referred to as "libraries") you and they have. There will never be an exact duplication of model matching between you and other players because every player's FSX is customized.

As explained in the manual, you can customize vpilot "vmr" files. This allows you to tune vpilot to your own installed libraries to get better matches, but there is no way you can control how well other players match to you on their machines. Sometimes perfect matches are not possible. Generally, as you gain experience on the Vat, you will learn it's more important to know an aircraft's position and direction in relation to you than using the Vat for plane spotting enjoyment. That some matching is possible is a benny, but if you live for that, you will be disappointed sometimes no matter how hard you work at it. In FSINN, there is an in-sim dialog box which allows a player to customize model matching on the fly without editing files. This is very handy when an unknown plane type (often users type in the wrong ICAO code or one which is not supported) and FSINN allows you to instantly tell the sim which plane in your library is an acceptable match while the other player is in view.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Archived