How do I install new aircraft?

fdnylt1

If you are downloading freeware from here or other sites, avoiding using any download that auto-installs itself! Luckily, only a few do that. FSX-Steam and regular FSX have the same type of structure.

1. The aircraft folder containing the model, panel, sound,.air file, texture folders (Aircraft paint job) will go to the SimObjects/Airplanes folder.

2. The Effects, Effects-textures will go into the Effects folder and textures into the Effects/texture folder.

3. Gauges into the gauges folder.

Let us know what download you are trying if you get stuck.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

My thoughts are that FSX:SE is released on Steam, as a 'plug-n-play' game, with add-ons from Steam in the form of DLC's, &, being on Steam, targeted to the newbies that want an easy install. So they are creating a whole new market.

So, for us 'oldies', we are going to have a lot of questions such as these.

Maybe a new forum 'How To' should be set up, or just like any other game or add-on, queries should be asked on the Steam FSX forum? (seeing that is there for the gamers?)

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

It pretty much works identically to the regular FSX, as far as DownLoads and installs go. Only difference is that Steam kinda "hides" it deeper in it's folder structure. Instead of, for example, C:\MicroSoft Games\FSX\Whatever Folder You're Looking For, it hidden away in C:\Steam\common applications\FSX\Whatever Folder You're looking For. Not a huge difference, and once in the FSX folder, all the folders under that are the same as the regular FSX.

SO: If, for example, you want to install an airplane, you unzip the zip file it was in to a temporary folder. The just copy-n-paste the, again for example, folder Airplane Downloaded that was in the zip file into the C:\Steam\common applications\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes.

Not really any different, just a couple more layers above it.

Having said all that, most autoinstallers can't find the FSX folder, because it's not in the "Usual" place FSX inhabits, as is it's registry entry, so they get confused, and have nervous breakdowns. If possible, I always direct an autoinstaller to a temp folder to install to anyway, just out of a desire to see what it's trying to put where, and if I don't like what it does, I can delete it simply and easily. I realize that the autoinstallers are made to make life easier, especially for the computer un-savy, but I just don't trust them.

Anyway, that's just my 2 propeller blade's worth.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

+1 on that. I also dislike those auto installers & end up installing to a dummy directory & then re-zipping the contents for achiving.

The more I look at Steam, the more I wonder. Their release is perfect for the newbies who do not have any experience with simming or tweaking. Doing it their way does not scare them off. Yes, the more savvy guys can use non-steam stuff as they are aware of what goes where.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Archived