Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Info Needed

Hi,

Can anyone with a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 check for me if the stick has a switching power supply? That is to say, has a power supply which works on 110v and 220v electrical grids.

I bought one from auction and only realised afterwards that the stick is from Japan (110v grid) and I live in a country with 220v grid electricity. I've checked the original MSFF2 manual, which makes no mention whatsoever about the AC requirements/limitations and Googling has proven unfruitful too.

Can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks

The MS Sidewinder sticks are all USB and not AC powered. You will get 5 volts at the USB port which is all the voltage it needs to operate. This will take care of the power requirement. The USB connection also has pins for DATA transmission, which it needs to function with Windows and thus Flight Sim. That is why you did not find anything on Google search - there is no such thing as AC powered joystick!

We are used to using a power adoptor with USB slot for charging our cell phones, cameras, etc. That is a totally different scenario. Not with a USB joystick. There are no batteries in the joy. You would fry your joystick if you plugged it into a CHARGING AC adoptor. So don't do that.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

On the bottom of mine it says 100-240 VAC @ 1.0 amp

50-60 cycle

The controls work with USB, but I believe that the FF is AC powered.

However, FS2020 does not recognize FF.

There is a fix:

https://www.fsmissioneditor.com/product/xpforce/

That will give you 10 minutes free to see if you like it or not. If so, it is £9.95

You will need a specific female end to the AC power line - should be easy to find the right one.

There is no "wall wart" with this - just straight from the wall socket.

However, in the end, you do not need AC to run this joystick - USB only is fine.

• 1 year later...

That '100-240 volts' is steped down to 12 Volts! USB is 5 Volts. Force Feedback is not 'recognized' by FSX or FS2020. So you will have a joystick that doesn't work, no matter how much voltage you use, because the data can not be 'used' by Windows, and thus, simulator. A NON FF Sidewinder works automatically in FSX but can be set up to work in FS2020. The set up is part of the simulator AND windows (ie: joy CONTROLLER (software)) plus FS2020 setup (axis, options, etc). But a FF joy - forget it - it can't be done!

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).