Installing aircraft - does it affact fsx performance

jparnold

Hello,

I am wondering if there are disadvantages in having too many aircraft installed in FSX.

Does it affect the performance of FSX eg are frame rates affected by having too many aircraft installed?

I have noticed that when using MULTIPLAYER and another player/pilot is using an aircraft which I don't installed then FSX attempts to substitute a similar aircraft which I have installed. This appears sometimes to affect how that aircraft appears when parked at an airport eg aircraft half buried in the ground, tail strike when taking off etc (or shouldn't that happen?).

I guess I don't really mind seeing an aircraft which is NOT correct but I do mind seeing an aircraft which does not 'sit' correctly on the ground and/or gets a tail strike during take off.

Just trying to make the visual experience better.

Thanks

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

The issue is really how many planes you see as AI or multiplayer, not how many planes you have installed.

As far as how well the planes look, there are a lot of factors. The quality of the add-ons you have (libraries or planes you installed yourself.) the quality of the inet connection between you and the others. Any traffic add-on libraries you have installed. Not all plane models are created equal.

What multiplayer are you using?

Direct? You cannot really control which model gets substituted except by asking the person(s) you connect to fly planes you have, and you fly the planes they have.

Multiplayer service like Vatsim? You should disable AI when you join those services.

If the above and using VPilot, you do not have control over substitution. If using FSINN, you can have some control over substitution.

Regardless o the type of mult you use, full featured, high quality planes use a LOT more CPU horsepower when they are using as AI then dedicated AI planes.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

It should not matter how many aircraft you have installed. Some of the freeware models that I have downloaded and tried either had sinking wheels that need to be corrected at the contact points in the aircraft.cfg or had smoking tires as the aircraft taxied.

When the Sim compensates for the aircraft you don't have, it may be choosing one that needs to be adjusted.

The only thing that might be affected by too many aircraft is load time.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

The more aircraft the simn has to render on the screen at the same time, the slower it will go. Again, not how many plane you have installed, but how many you can see, regardless of if it's offline AI or multiplayer AI, or multiplayer humans.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Thanks for your replies.

It seems that I should have explained myself better.

Firstly it is NOT AI aircraft that I mean.

Yes it is in a Multiplayer session (FSFlyBoys) where I didn't think that there were AI aircraft appeared (I have never seen any).

Yes I know that some freeware aircraft are not optimised correctly and either can appear slightly above of below ground level and in fact I have modified the settings in the aircraft.cfg file to fix this.

What I am getting at in particular is when FSX 'uses' my installed B777 aircraft to represent another player's/pilot's aircraft and it appears half buried on the ground and appears to suffer tail strike on take off YET when I use that same (installed) aircraft (from external view) it appears with its wheels directly on the ground (not half buried)

Why then does it 'work' correctly when I use it but incorrectly when FSX uses it to represent another (multiplayer) player's aircraft?

I know this is just aesthetics? but it just looks so stupid.

Also I realise that the more aircraft FSX has to render the more the frame rate might be affected HOWEVER if say you only had 2 aircraft installed and FSX needs to render say 10 different aircraft would the frame rate be less affected that if say you had 30 aircraft installed?

Maybe MR Zippy has the answer but it doesn't answer my (new) question as why does my B777 appear ok when I use it but 'sinking' when FSX uses it for a multiplayer? Is there a fix? I was thinking that if I installed more aircraft (even if I don't use them) that perhaps I would not see this 'problem'. That is the reason for the initial (posted) question as I didn't want to install more aircraft if it might affect frame rates just to see things correctly.

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Archived