Questions about lights

sidfadc

I've seen youtube videos of landings we some excellents headlights on the front of the aircraft at night, not sure headlights is the right turn of phrase. I'm not experienced enough to fly the boeings so i usually fly in the Learjet. I can access the electrical panel and fiddle with the lights but I can't find any headlights on the aircraft at all, is that normal?

Cheers

Sid

I'm assuming you are referring to landing lights which tend to be the brightest lights emitting off the front of the aircraft? Hover your mouse over switches in the cockpit and see if the text "Landing Lights" appears.
Home Airport - Southport Airport, Southport, Manitoba, Canada| FSX/Acceleration | MSI GT70 Laptop | Windows 8.1 -64bit | Intel ® Core i7-3630 QM | CPU@ 2.4GHZ (cores can dynamically overclock to up to 3.2 GHz (920XM)) | Ram 12GB | NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 670M discrete graphics card (with GDDR5 3GB VRAM)

In the Learjet, if sitting in the 2D cockpit, you can click on one of the ICONS to bring up a popup panel for lights, Pitot Switch, etc. You also have the option in all default and probably all addon aircraft of hitting L on the keyboard to turn on all lights.

Learjet.JPG

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Be aware not all aircraft models and created equal and in some add-ons, the landing lights may not work as expected. Also, lights will not work without the electrical system on. If you power up the electrical system and turn on the lights without the APU or engine generators operating, the battery will eventually discharge and your lights will go out.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

In the Learjet, if sitting in the 2D cockpit, you can click on one of the ICONS to bring up a popup panel for lights, Pitot Switch, etc. You also have the option in all default and probably all addon aircraft of hitting L on the keyboard to turn on all lights.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]176136[/ATTACH]

Yep, this. Shift-5 is usually the shortcut to bring up that panel, but on a lot of aircraft it can be different. If you go Views -> Instrument Panel -> Electrical, you'll see all your lighting switches. In Virtual Cockpit, most modern planes will have them on the ceiling panel, but they may also be in the center panels. Look around and see if you can find them. It's always a good idea to familiarise yourself with the more regularly used switches and buttons prior to taxiing - you don't want to be sat trying to hold yourself in a glide slope and fumbling around for the lights!

I assigned keys. Shift+L to cabin lights (or panel lights, I forget what they are called in assignments) , and contr+L to landing lights. When I Can't find a switch I sit in the cockpit in daylight and press the key combo until I spot the switch moving. Never fails.

Happy flights,il88pp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I assigned keys. Shift+L to cabin lights (or panel lights, I forget what they are called in assignments) , and contr+L to landing lights. When I Can't find a switch I sit in the cockpit in daylight and press the key combo until I spot the switch moving. Never fails.

Happy flights,il88pp.

Done that so many times with flaps. Sit there toggling between angles and looking around "come on, what's moving, what display is changing...."

LOL. Yeah, there's a lot to the flaps. But to be honest, for those often I just use the "Iron Eagle" approach. Press F8, listen for the tell tale sound, drop the Hades, and "We'll figure it out in the air."

I just keep a close eye on the pitch, retract when possible,extend when required... :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived