FSX Real Weather

mrzippy

As always, it comes and goes. Just when everyone jumps on and insists it's dead and gone, it starts providing current data for *most* of its historical coverage. As has ALWAYS been the case, there are places in the world, the Jeppeson has never provided timely coverage and places where it has almost always been correct.

Also, timing is everything.

At locations where the metar only gets updated on the databases the Jeppeson engine uses once or twice a day or once a week, WHEN you locate your plane at an area will mean the difference between your perception of it not working or working. Data is more likely to be current at major international airports, but if you are looking for it always being correct within two hours, not likely unless you are very very lucky to hit the 2hour metar and the 15 minute FSX request interval ratio just right.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

I guess the weather adjusted itself to Jeppesen... LOL

Wim

Could be! My test airport L08, has had the same weather, 87 degrees F and scattered clouds with 50 mile visibility for the last 8 or 9 months, no matter what actual time of the day (real life) that I start a flight. The desert is usually pretty chilly at dawn this time of year.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

The more remote the airstrip location, the more unreliable it will be. However, keep this in mind. By default, the entire FSX weather engine (regardless of what controls it) interpolates from other nearby stations. If the other stations in your area are erroneous or missing, this will influence the weather you get at Borrego Valley.

For this reason and others, not only do you need good and reliable metar data from L08, but you also need good data from KSAS and KRTM (and others.) The influences vary but as a general rule, stations within 60 miles influence your present position. If these are missing or outdated and/or there simply is no metar in the Jeppeson database for L08, the wx at L08 will be wrong even if the Jeppeson data servers are working. To test this, simply locate your plane to these other nearby locations and see what the wx is there. Unfortunately, this is the only way to do it in the default jeppeson other than using the map. With external weather engines, we can actually look at the metar source data and compare time stamps with other real world data sources. In the FSX default online, the underlying data is kept a mystery (for good reason.)

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Hi zippy,

I noticed last night that it was working also. I'm hoping for the best. As the Steam version still has it; maybe the problem has been given a bit more consideration. The idea of having to do anything special to get, at least semi-accurate, real world weather has always been an annoyance.

Jim F.

Now I am confused! I literally just installed FSRealWX yesterday. So was the brilliant weather I got (scattered snow showers, ground fog, -28°F, several layers of stratus ...) due to FSX working properly or RealWX??
My rig specs: ASUS P8Z77-V Rev3 IZ77 4D3 LGA1155; Intel Core I7 3770K Ivy Bridge3 5gHz/8Mo; SSD 500Go Agility3; DD SATA-III, 1To, 7200T, 64Mo cache; DDRAM III PC-12800, 2 x 4 Go; NVidia 1060GTX TI SC 6Gb 1563-E3 (not over-clocked); Power supply - 850W Corsair HX850; Windows 7 Pro 64bits, FSX Gold (SP1+2, Acceleration).

FSX has it's own internal "real weather" DATA originally provided by Jeppeson. It has been in various states of disrepair for many years.

The WEATHER EFFECTS you see (clouds, rain, temperature, winds, pressure etc.) are actually GENERATED by FSX's internal weather code which is a *multi-station interpolation system.*

When you use ANY external weather synthesizer such as FXrealWX or ASN, the DATA and the COMMANDS concerning what weather effects to display and what stations to interpolate come from those engines and the data they collect, NOT any longer from the decrepit Jeppeson servers and the default data connection and synthesizing system.

What MZ was referring to is when he used the default weather recently, he saw a more representative weather than he usually gets. This has nothing to do with realwx other than they both rely on FSX to display the weather effects.

-Pv-

Tags: FXrealWX, weather Jeppeson default ASNEXT INTERPOLATION

It comes and goes. He was reporting it had arrived. I was explaining although that's what it LOOKS like to the casual observer, it may not have arrived at all or was circumstantial or it might have been another station entirely than the one he relies on for his "alive" test which made it look better at that moment.

If the FS weather environment was simple, it would have been mastered 14 years ago, but the talents that be are still unraveling its mysteries.

-Pv-

A little research reveals the closest reporting stations to L08 is KTRM KRNM and the nearby Borrego Air Ranch 58CL. Currently at 5:28 Pacific Wed evening local, the metar for the air ranch is:

58CL 220111Z 33507KT 41SM NOSIG 20/M04 A2999

If you want to check what the weather at Borrego Springs should be, check those location's metars using weather underground.

L09 does not have it's own metar data so rely on nearby interpolation both on external weather engines and FSX's internal Jeppeson data.

If these stations differ from what you are getting on the ground or reported by your town's weather service, then these station metars should be examined for timeliness on wundergound.

If you locate your plane in the sim there and the weather is wrong, check these stations to see they are also wrong. If so, the Jeppeson is having a bad hair day. If they are right and that's what you are getting in the sim but does not match the real world current conditions there, then it's because of the interpolation.

-Pv-

My test airport L08, has had the same weather, 87 degrees F and scattered clouds with 50 mile visibility for the last 8 or 9 months, no matter what actual time of the day (real life) that I start a flight. The desert is usually pretty chilly at dawn this time of year

I lived in Yuma, AZ for nearly 30 years (and hated every second of it...) and if there was a temp that low, it was a day of celebration! As they say..."360 flying days a year." The local TV weathermen (and weather-women) have an EASY job..."Clear and warm, highs in the hundreds, lows in the 90's." is a safe bet for almost any day's forecast. They never use the word "HOT" in weather casts, by the way. The City Fathers decided it was bad for tourism.

I was explaining although that's what it LOOKS like to the casual observer,

Side note: Every class I ever had in the military, whether a 6month long school, or a one day class had a designated "Most Casual Observer" so that when they used that phrase they could check and verify that is was, in fact, obvious to the most casual observer. Just want to throw that in there...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I avoided the word "obvious" since computers hide a lot under the hood and the Jeppeson weather engine hides everything.

I'm living in the dessert too and it's either too hot to walk outside or too cold to walk outside. Hate it a lot!

-Pv-

I've always found it to be pretty accurate, at least where I live. In CA, I'm about a 30 minute drive from Fresno and, there's a small airport about 15 minutes where I live. Small airport with no ATC but I fly out of there on occasion and the weather is like I said usually right and the cloud cover and such is correct.

OK, 5:15 am and I am testing 4 different airport locations using FSX weather updated every 15 minutes.

L08- Borrego Springs 100% accurate at this, time temp, wind speed and forecast

La Guardia, New York- Also accurate

Washington/Dulles- Also accurate

YUMA, Az- Accurate

OMDB Dubai at 6:10 am very accurate to within 1 degree F. and forecast for clear weather.

I will test these same airports this afternoon to see if they have kept up to date.

"From your description it sounds like your "dessert" is Baked Alaska. "

OK

MZ:

When the Jeppson works, it's certainly better than nothing. At least you've proven it works sometimes while many insist it hasn't worked at all for years.

-Pv-

"From your description it sounds like your "dessert" is Baked Alaska. "

OK

MZ:

When the Jeppson works, it's certainly better than nothing. At least you've proven it works sometimes while many insist it hasn't worked at all for years.

-Pv-

So far, so good! Tried a flight between KSFO and KLAS and weather was right on! As far as I'm concerned, it's working OK and I hope it lasts!

Hey pv,

I haven't read any post that claims that it hasn't worked for years but it's been my experience that it hasn't worked for several months and it was hit or miss for the last couple of years.

I recall having to use the modem to connect to a FSS to get the weather for FS. The FAA cut that off because the lines were becoming overloaded and pilots couldn't get the info. Hopefully, it's just been a lack of concern on the part of whoever provides the weather data and nothing more.

Jim F.

P.s. I'm glad you mentioned your weather. For some reason I was getting Richland confused with Longview.

"I haven't read any post that claims that it hasn't worked for years but it's been my experience that it hasn't worked for several months and it was hit or miss for the last couple of years."

Yes, hit and miss for years.

Threads get started on this several times a month.

----------

From the "weather" sticky above dated March 2013:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?262601-Microsoft-Weather

So as not to have a new post about this every other day:

Yes, the Microsoft weather has not been updating for about the past month now.

Yes, this is for both FSX and FS 2004.

---------------

As far as preventing posts every other day... When has a sticky ever accomplished this? Their only practical purpose in my opinion is to provide an easy link referencing common problems and solutions most of us can agree on so we don't have to keep typing the same old stuff day after day.

Problems with individual stations not being accurate to a real world metar dated

April 2009:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?195557-Real-world-weather-problem&p=1299590#post1299590

August 2014 claims it's working, not working:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?281876-FSX-real-weather-yet-not-updating!!

For various reasons I've already discussed, the apparent or real evidence the so-called default real weather (Jeppeson) in FSX gives the impression to some people it is working, or not working continues and the time factor is variable. I've already discussed some possibilities. These reports have been going on for a long time. The only practical solution if you REALLY care about the consistency and accuracy of real world weather is to get an external weather program. There are both free and high fidelity payware solutions to this problem. Otherwise, just be glad during the times it's working at the location(s) you are paying attention to.

There are many technical reasons the built in online weather has problems aside from those already mentioned. The most important to me is temperature (but really, everything about the default weather is a problem including popping clouds, wind, temperature and pressure shifts (reverses even.)

The default temperature in FSX STOPS at 35K ft and is one fixed height the whole world. In the real world, the tropopause starts are different altitudes whether you are at the equator (higher) than the poles (lower.)

From that altitude on up, the temperature is static at -56.5C and does not get colder or warmer as in the real world. 99.9% of you do not fly above 65K ft where the real world starts getting warmer so you are unaffected.

This is one of the PRIMARY reasons so many high altitude aircraft in FS (all versions) fail because the temperatures which affect engine performance and lift are completely wrong in default weather (both the "themes" and online.)

Again, nearly all of you are unaffected so no worries especially the slow VFR flyers for which the FS weather was optimized. The slower and lower to the ground you are, the less affected by the sudden 90 and 180 degree reverses in wind direction caused by FS interpolating wrong or missing station data within 60 miles of the aircraft. As speed increases and the station proximity detection rate increases, these shifts increase in speed and intensity.

Also, because the default online weather does not have ANY station data over large water areas, as soon as you get over 60 miles from the nearest reporting station, FS reverts to it's default Clear weather. If this default is a lot different from what you had at the last station, the disruption to the aircraft may be very severe. The same happens when you cross back near land after the clear spell. It's like a hit on the head. External weather engines tend to remove these problems to varying effectiveness depending on how much you pay. One of the ways is to make sure ALL the station data is current and accurate and that FS is NEVER allowed to revert to it's default CLEAR state by continually updating the engine with valid data no matter how far or fast you fly.

Many are the complaint about high altitude aircraft which cannot fly in FS and this is one of the problems. The altitude (with incorrect tropopause and lapse rate variation) together with bad data interpolation, together with no stations closer than 60 miles from the aircraft location over 75% of the Earth, together with wind, temperature, and pressure shifts make real weather in the default data synthesizer highly problematic. Workable for slow aircraft close to densely populated land and barely tolerable for airliners over dense population areas and impossible for everyone else.

-Pv-

I just checked my weather at KSDF & Jeppson. Other than a few more clouds showing up, it's spot on. Temp, wind, etc. nailed it.

Perhaps the actual weather is basing on the Jeppson modeling after all.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Archived