The Learning Curve

hondabiker95

Hello all! I'm not sure if this post is in the right section. So, mods, if it is, please feel free to move it to the correct place. My question lies within the learning curve involved in taking FSX to the next level. Let me preface that with a little background about myself. I've been a simmer for almost 15 years with various flight sims and at one point was fairly serious about it. I was part of a virtual airline and logged on almost daily. But I never really broke free of the plateau of the "stock" game. I perfected my IFR flying (default is kind of a joke since they vector you the whole way down), got used to following checklists for the default aircraft, and planned flights with the limited flight planner in FSX.

I recently started getting back into FSX as I pursue becoming a student pilot and I'm ready for more. I want to use FSX to be as realistic as possible. Mainly where I see a big difference is in the planning and execution of a flight plan. I now have several payware addons and still haven't used them to their fullest potential. My goal here is to learn and perfect....

-Applying real approach plates into the game and learning how to fly them

-Learning about SIDS/STARS and flying them

-Developing proficiency with using VATSIM (when I get my account sorted out)

-Learning the systems on more advanced aircraft (I think I can do that with what resources I have :) )

In case there's anything I can't remember (I'm sure there is) I just want to make my experience as realistic as possible in flying, as well as every other aspect. I see so many videos on Youtube of near perfect flights that look so in-depth. I love it and aspire to do the same. I just don't know where to start! Can anyone help me push past this plateau and cite some resources for taking this to the next level? Where did you learn?

Thanks so much!

"My goal here is to learn and perfect....

-Applying real approach plates into the game and learning how to fly them

-Learning about SIDS/STARS and flying them

-Developing proficiency with using VATSIM (when I get my account sorted out)

-Learning the systems on more advanced aircraft (I think I can do that with what resources I have )"

Initial response is much of what you want to know, learn and perfect is covered in the Learning Center and default teaching tutorials within the sim. Once you have done those, then you will not only have the basic skills, but you will know how the apply the advanced skills.

1) Approach plates. and 2) SID and STAR.

a: The key phrase you used which triggers my explanation is "into the game"

Not sure what you mean by that, but you can purchase or download approach plates and fly them manually. AND/OR...You can use the default GPS to load its internal database of approaches for most (but not all) of the airports and fly them manually or let the autopilot fly them. Again, Learning Center.

AND/OR... You can purchase or free download external flight planning software. These have most (but not all) of the common SIDS and STARS for the airports. Make a plan, plug in the STAR you want to use, export to an FSX plan and load the plan into your plane. You can then fly it manually or automated.

3) VATSIM has online certified pilot training schools. You learn everything you need to know about VATSIM and working with other pilots and ATC through those schools. Choose a school in your geographical area and time zone, sign up and GO. You get a pilot certificate as a result and a lot of respect from the ATC.

4) Learning advanced aircraft. You already know what to to do. Study their included manuals carefully, work through the tutorials and create saved flights in these planes where various flight profiles are already set up so you can just jump in and practice something over and over several times in a few minutes rather than flying for hours do do something like a short approach. You will learn 10 times faster if you don't do whole flights just to practice one tiny thing.

Note: I learned the way I described and crash/burn 2,492 times a year for the first few years. Now I only crash 2-3 times a year, but it's usually on purpose.

There is no reason to take my advice. You will now get a book full of suggestions from other players...

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

FSX can be as easy or as hard as you want to make it..:)

I'm an FSX "fun" flyer and like to just hop in the plane, slam open the throttle and GO, I only needed to memorise less than a dozen key presses, piece o' cake.

I don't bother with ATC and beacons and glideslopes and stuff, I just do it my way!

I fly in external view most of the time so I can see the beautiful plane as it floats on high o'er dales and hills...oops sorry was I ranting?

PS- you might like to check out this sensational thread about the awesome fun things you can do with FSX-

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?248567-How-do-you-keep-FSX-interesting

Archived