Basic Throttle Lever Question-- which is forward, which is back?

b3burner

I recently bought a throttle quadrant. In the instructions for the calibration process I'm getting confused by what is probably considered "universal terminology"-- concerning the direction of travel of the levers.

When it says "move the throttle levers all the way 'forward'...", I'm thinking that means away from me and closest to my computer monitor. And "back", would be toward me at the edge of the desk.

But the language in the process steps go on to say, "move the lever forward past the indent points"... which to me is back and toward me.

Huge Edit:

Nevermind, I totally confused myself. It was very late last night. I started the calibration from the wrong end, so disregard the above.

Real airline pilots who use throttle quadrants... which would they call forward vs back?

Thanks,

-- John

P.S. -- By the way, as a side note, this is a CH Throttle Quad. Just got it yesterday, so don't be surprised if in the next few days or weeks, I'm posting other questions regarding this product and getting it to work.

For my own edification, I'm curious if this is the right forum for me to be posting in, and how might I be able to limit my search words specifically to discussions that have already taken place on this throttle quadrant, and concerns regarding it?

"Forward" means, in an airplane, away from the pilot, and toword the firewall, "back" is, naturally, the opposite. It also indicates you need to make sure you place your quadrant facing the correct direction. "Fowrad" increases the engine power, back reduces is, down to (probably) a "Flight Idle" detent, followed by a "reverse" or Reversers" position, depending on whether it's a Jet (reversers) or turboprop (Beta or reverse thrust) position. Often there is also an "Ground Idle" position detent also but not always. Some also come with a "cut-off" position, all the way "back".

Does all this help any? I can get pictures if you decide.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Yes, what you say makes sense for the most part. I think I was confused about the forwards/backwards thing at first, only because I had started my calibration with the levers all the way forward, and the instructions assume the user is starting with them all the way back. Therefore when the instructions got to the part about passing through the indent, it was to be from the minimum position moving "up", not the maximum position moving "down". And I had started from the max position (wrong end) moving down. Therefore, when it said to move the levers *forward* through the indent, I thought they were saying that forward was in the "down" direction, and I was getting confused. But as I said that was my fault. It was like 3am and I was probably getting delirious.

-----------------------

I may have other questions, but should really probably start another new thread if need be. If so, it's going to be how to calibrate and properly set the levers on the CH Throttle Quadrant for 4-throttle (black knob) set-up (as in a Boeing 747).

In the meantime, I have downloaded their device manager which I believe acts as a second on-board key, lever, and device calibration software... but I'm not sure it's playing so nicely with the already existing calibration and assignment system inside the simulator. And that is where my difficulties are starting to arise.

But the CH people do have their own forums, so maybe I should ask there first. But if I continue to have issues, this is where I will come back to.

Glad I could help a little bit.

A note real quick: If I were you (and I'm not, dare I say) I would invest in a registered copy of Pete Dowson's little module FSUIPC. Available on his blog's site. Greatest little thing to add on for using external devices of any kind, including your CH Throttles. It interfaces between the game and any/all things like throttles, weather software, yoke, you name it. Amazing, and more than worth every cent of the registration fee. Really. Honest!

Hope this helps a triffle...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Glad I could help a little bit.

A note real quick: If I were you (and I'm not, dare I say) I would invest in a registered copy of Pete Dowson's little module FSUIPC. Available on his blog's site. Greatest little thing to add on for using external devices of any kind, including your CH Throttles. It interfaces between the game and any/all things like throttles, weather software, yoke, you name it. Amazing, and more than worth every cent of the registration fee. Really. Honest!

Hope this helps a triffle...

Pat☺

Yes, it helps and thanks, but in so doing, it also brings up a few additional questions. Mainly because counting my choices I believe there are 3 possible items I can use to store button, key, lever, or axis assignments for joysticks, quadrants, etc:

A. In house assigner that comes with the simualtor.

B. CH Products Control Manager-- specifically for that piece of gear

C. FSUIPC-- as you had suggested.

It's starting to get pretty darn confusing up in here I must say! What ever happened to good old "plug-and-play"?

1. Now in regards to using FSUIPC as you had suggested, is this basically the same as using CH Product's Control Manager or is it vastly different?

2. If I use FSUIPC for the throttle quadrant, does that mean I have to also re do my assignments for my joystick through FSUIPC (to be consistent), or can those stay assigned through the "in house" flight simulator key, button, and axis assigner?

3. If I've already assigned the throttle quad via the sim's "in house" assigner, but then I decide to do other tweaks through either CH Control Mgr or FSUIPC, do I then have to undo (delete) what I had done via the sim assigner, or any changes made by the outboard programs, will automatically override the inboard assigner? I want to know this before I spend a lot of time retracing my steps.

4. How important is it to delete the lever assignment for throttle control on my joystick, if I'm now hooking up the throttle quadrant to do that very same thing? And for that matter, how important is it to remove any additional assignments off the joystick, if those same assignments are now also being assigned to the buttons (gray toggle buttons below) on the throttle quadrant? Or so long as I'm not touch both at the same time, it really doesn't matter?

5. In the CH Control Manager, it make mention of the term "mapping". What does mapping mean? Is that a term used for saving specific throttle quadrant lever and button assignments for certain functions as specific files, so I can jump from plane to plane of different types, and just switch out the map files, w/o having to reprogram the whole throttle quadrant from scratch all over again for each plane? That's my best guess, but even so, how and where do you store a map assignment, and how and where do you insert it into the simulator when it's time for the sim to use that information?

There is a guide for beginners from the CH Products website that I need to read through, that will probably answer a lot of this stuff, but since you replied to my post before I've had a chance to read through it, I thought I'd ask you a few things myself.

Do you think the FSUIPC program will remove and solve a lot of this confusion for me, to the point where understanding exactly how the CH Products Control Manager works will be a moot point?

And lastly, my biggest confusion thus far is how do I get the simulator to recognize that I want all the way back behind the detent to be reverse thrust? Even after calibrating the physical levers of the throttle quadrant using the CH Control Manager, it only recognized throttle movement in the calibrator to be true and full. It didn't in anyway tell the simulator that that's how I want it to work. When I fired up the sim, the sim just kind of did it's own thing... some of the virtual levers hung up in the half way position on the (Shift + 4) mini window, even though the physical levers on MY quadrant were all the way down. So clearly I'm still very confused and this is going to take awhile. But again, I thank you for whatever assistance you can offer.

Archived