Thinking of Samsung 49" 32:9 Monitor for my setup. Any suggestions?

Goatman24

Guys, I'm looking at the Samsung 49" 32:9 monitor for using on my cockpit setup for FSX and was hoping to get some advice here.

I'm currently using two AL2216W Acer monitors. I hate the bezel in the middle and like the idea of having one continuous curved screen across the front.

I have a roof from the interior of an SUV that I picked up at a junk yard that appears to have the same or similar radius that this monitor has.

I'm wondering how the picture quality will fare with this new unit compared to what I have.

I'm also wondering how the screen will fill up using FSX. Would there be black areas on the ends? Would the picture be stretched?

Existing monitor specs and new specs:

Acer = https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-al2216w-lcd-monitor-22/specs/

Samsung = https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP6DR2502&cm_re=samsung_49_curved-_-24-022-584-_-Product

Any help would be appreciated.

Mitch

I was born on the North Coast, where they coined the phrase that they still call Rock-n-Roll! Asus Maximus VII mb, Wind7 64-240 GB SSD-8GB RAM-IntelCore i7-4790k Haswell Quad Core 4 ghz-GTX 1060-TH2G-2-Saitek Yokes, -2-CH pedals-GFTQ6 throt, 49" Samsung Monitor.

Hi Mitch, I don't have much to say, except to point out an irritating limitation that you may experience with a wide screen monitor like that. I use an LG 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor, which I love, but when set for a full 100% display, text becomes so small that I have trouble reading. To read my email etc. I have to set the monitor for 125% display, which blows up the flight sim display accordingly, i.e. some of the picture is cut off. This does not happen with X-Plane 11, because on that you can adjust the angle of view displayed. If you are only going to use the monitor for flight simming this may not be a problem, but if you also plan to use it for general computer use you may need to readjust the display magnification every time you want to fly - not a big deal, but a little annoying.

Display quality will be excellent, but the high vertical to horizontal ratio will provide a somewhat limited vertical view. Have fun!

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

Thank you for the input. My system is only used for FSX so I won't have the problem you mentioned regarding e-mail etc.. I do use a small monitor for instruments and ATC but I think that should still be fine. The way my cockpit is set up the 34" would not be large enough but I'll bet you do get a good picture with it.

I'll post back if I go forward with it just to let anyone else know what the results are.

Thanks again.

Mitch

I was born on the North Coast, where they coined the phrase that they still call Rock-n-Roll! Asus Maximus VII mb, Wind7 64-240 GB SSD-8GB RAM-IntelCore i7-4790k Haswell Quad Core 4 ghz-GTX 1060-TH2G-2-Saitek Yokes, -2-CH pedals-GFTQ6 throt, 49" Samsung Monitor.

Got it today. Looks great and glad I did it. Just need to mount it properly for my set-up. Took a trip from Dillingham to the nearby army base on Oahu in Hawaii.

Love it.

Mitch

• 10 months later...

I'm glad to hear you like the monitor that is also my choice I will be installing in my cockpit! I am deciding what to use as my 2 side monitors...probably something around a 42" 1440p 60hz.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Archived